Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and conditions, alternative therapies, nutrition, nutritional supplements, and much more. Acupuncture / Traditional Chinese Medicine Aging Allergies & Food Sensitivities Alternative Therapies Big Pharma Evils Bone Health Candida (Yeast) and Parasites Cardiovascular Health Case Studies Chiropractic & Physical Medicine Dermatology Digestion Diseases Ear, Nose & Throat Environmental Sensitivities Eye Care Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Fitness & Exercise Health Insurance Issues Healthy Lifestyle Immune System Inflammation Integrative Medicine Lyme Disease & Morgellons Men's Health Mental Health Nutrition, Nutritional Supplements, Vitamins, & Herbal Remedies Pain Management Sexual Health Thyroid, Adrenal, & Sex Hormone Issues Weight Issues Women's Health

Getting Off (Or Avoiding) Blood Pressure Meds

Posted 01/05/2015

If you’re currently taking a blood pressure medication OR your doctor has remarked that she’ll be keeping an eye on your “borderline” high blood pressure OR high blood pressure runs in your family and you have concerns about it, please read this Health Tip closely. The issues surrounding blood pressure are far more complicated than you might guess.

Importantly, your doctor, who we can safely assume intends the best for your health, may be basing her recommendations and prescribing your medication on what she may not know is actually some very controversial information. She simply may not be aware that she’s starting you on what could be decades of inappropriate medication for a condition you don’t really have…and one that isn’t even dangerous to your health.

In fact, based on new government guidelines in which your doc is paid less by insurance companies for failing to reach certain clinical goals (like getting your blood pressure down to a designated low number), she may be encouraged to prescribe more meds for your potentially non-existent elevated blood pressure. Read that sentence a couple of times and let it sink in. It means if your blood pressure is not at a particular “normal” level AND your doctor has failed to give you medication to reach that level, she can be financially penalized, even if your actual blood pressure level is totally harmless to your health. Tell me that’s not just a little bit spooky.

Part One: what exactly is “normal” blood pressure?
This simple question is actually fraught with controversy, backbiting, scandal, and truly egregious self-serving behavior on the part of highly placed–and highly paid–physicians, drug companies, and apparently neutral organizations like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the World Health Organization (WHO). For an idea of how the answer to this question has shifted, if you have some spare time take a look at this piece, which examines the scope of change in high blood pressure treatment over the course of a decade.

If you remember what I wrote about statins and high cholesterol–that lowering the number for ideal cholesterol meant an increase of multiple millions of statin users–precisely the same sequence of events has occurred with high blood pressure meds.

Over the years there have been numerous studies, all but one financially supported by the pharmaceutical industry, to determine a risk-free blood pressure number. When I was first in training, I learned that blood pressure levels normally rose with a person’s age. The magic formula we were taught? The systolic reading (the top number) was 100 plus your age. The bottom number should be 90 or lower.

Thus, a healthy blood pressure for a 50-year-old could be 150/90. Basically, you started treatment when someone’s blood pressure was 160/100 or higher. I remember one professor saying he preferred 160/95.

But then a series of studies began to appear in the US and Europe saying that the risks for heart disease and stroke increased if that formula (100 plus your age) was followed, and the ideal blood pressure was reported as 120/80, with treatment beginning at 140/90. And here’s where the controversy began.

Change the number, create a patient
Although data did show that patients with consistent blood pressure higher than 140/90 were at some risk for heart attack and stroke, there was not much evidence that using more meds to drive the blood pressure further down–to that magic 120/80–really prevented much of anything. And it certainly increased pill taking, side effects, and symptoms due to blood pressures actually dropping too low.

From Big Pharma’s perspective, “change the number, create a patient” is an important phrase, possibly a central tenet:

• Bringing total cholesterol down to an ideal number anywhere below 200 with an LDL (the bad cholesterol) below 70 hits the financial jackpot. These strict guidelines will increase the number of potential statin users from 12.8 to 48 million.
  • Adjusting “ideal” blood pressure from 160/100 to 140/90 added 13.5 million new drug users. Trying to medicate people with 140/90 BP to even lower levels will add tens of millions more pill swallowers.

Added to the problem of changing the standards of what constitutes high blood pressure and what does not, doctors are well aware that most people get anxious in the doctor’s office and this itself drives up blood pressure. Called white-coat hypertension, this phenomenon has resulted in tens of thousands of utterly unnecessary blood pressure prescriptions.

I don’t mean now to deliberately trigger your TMJ, but it turns out that virtually every lead investigator of the studies that pushed blood pressure “normals” to lower levels had financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry, as did (and does) the FDA and WHO.

My take on normal blood pressure
So what’s normal? Most doctors agree it depends on the individual’s situation.

Let’s call 145/95 (taken at home, not in the doctor’s office, over a number of days) borderline high blood pressure.

If there are no other risk factors (smoking, overweight, diabetes, previous heart issues), I start treating at this point or anything higher with salt restriction and stress reduction, including yoga, tai chi or meditation. If there are risk factors such as those just listed, I’ll prescribe a medication and discuss the lifestyle changes outlined below.

Very high blood pressures, like 160/110 or higher, do require prompt pharmacological intervention.

Part Two: which medication?
Here’s where the infighting among physicians gets nasty. It turns out that every study that had drug money behind it recommended one or more drugs that were newly released at the time and therefore high-priced: beta blockers initially (like Inderal), then angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors such as Lisinopril), angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs such as Cozaar), and amlodipine (Norvasc).

But each of these had side effects and were often prescribed in various combinations, increasing the number of possible side effects. Also, driven by that artificially low magic number of 120/80 or lower, some people simply felt poorly having such low blood pressures. The meds didn’t magically place you right at 120/80. Sometimes they overshot the goal. For example, a blood pressure of 90/60 can make many an adult feel woozy and lightheaded.

(This from a patient: “My dad is on three blood pressure meds. He has to stand up real slowly or he gets lightheaded and once fainted.”

The only study with no drug money behind it, the ALLHAT study (short for Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial), found that the oldest of the blood pressure meds, water pills called diuretics, were the very safest and had the very best outcomes for stroke and heart attack prevention.

Yes, there was fury.

Physicians receiving financial largesse from Big Pharma looked mightily for flaws in the ALLHAT study. The drug companies ran full-page ads in the Journal of the American Medical Association basically tweaking ALLHAT data in an attempt to prove their branded drugs were just as good as diuretics. But they weren’t. Diuretics were best.

With this background, what should you do?

1. If you’re already taking blood pressure meds, work with your doctor when it comes to medication adjustment. Quitting or reducing blood pressure drugs is not a DIY project. If your physician doesn’t recommend going off your medication, ask him or her if you can be switched to a diuretic.
  1. If you don’t have your own blood pressure measuring device, buy one. It must be one that measures from your upper arm (not your wrist or finger), and if you’re obese be sure to get an extra-wide cuff. Take your blood pressure three to four times a week at the same time of day. Record all readings and bring them to your doctor. This will eliminate the white-coat hypertension issue.
  1. Seriously live by the DASH diet, which (don’t be shocked) emphasizes veggies, fruits, whole grains, fish, and poultry and limits salt, sugar, and red meats. Nibble celery, proven clinically to lower blood pressure.
  1. If you’re in the group of patients with severe high blood pressure–diastolic (bottom number) of 110 or higher–and your blood pressure is controlled on meds, stay on them. If you’re on several blood pressure medications and your at-home readings are good, your doc may at least be able to trim the number of meds you take.
  1. If you have mild high blood pressure and are on medication, or you’re borderline and your doctor is considering putting you on medication, be proactive. Lose weight, stop smoking, begin regular exercise, and reduce your salt intake. Learn stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, and tai chi. Consider getting (and using!) a portable Resperate unit (which costs about $99 online), the only biofeedback device FDA-approved for high blood pressure.
  1. If, after your best efforts, you can’t budge your BP below 145/95, try taking two natural products in addition to your medication: Vasophil, containing the amino acid arginine, precursor of nitric oxide, which opens blood vessels (start with one capsule twice daily, increasing to two capsules twice daily if needed) and CoQ10 (UBQH 100 mg daily).
  1. If you do need a prescription med, start with a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily or Dyazide one daily or Furosemide 20 mg daily).

Just don’t be a victim of the several superficially unbiased (but actually highly biased!) organizations that have their best interests, not yours, at heart.

1. Catherine Sawyer says:

Dr. I am a 62 year old female with history elevated b/p. I was prescribed Lisinopril 40 mg, procardia 60mg, hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg. Stopped diuretic and removed salt and most sugar from diet. B/P is staying around 100/68. Dizzy most of time. What meds would you recommend removing or continuing? I have read now the diuretic should be taken I have no sign of water retention without diuretic

Hi Catherine
    100/68 is simply too low a blood pressure for a 62year old. Let your doctor know. I’d start by reducing your Procardia by half. If blood pressure remains low, then drop it altogether

3. Catherine Sawyer says:

Dr. E, Thank You. My dr did not return my calls. I omitted the procardia and added 12.5 HTC. Continued dizziness. B/P at 3:00 am was 108/76( I also suffer from untreated Insomnia). This morning 122/86. Today dr office called and said to take all but HTC and follow up with appointment at an urgent care. Also stated that my b/p stats were not to low. Dr cannot see me until 9-12. I will only take lisinopril 40mg and 12.5 HTC today and continue to monitor b/p. Thank you for your informative site.

4. Jay Thomas says:

I have been taking Atenolol for years along with Losartan. Now Atenolol is on back order and I am being notified that I must get another drug in its place. My blood pressure is fine now on the drugs. I am wondering how to get off these drugs–I am exercising daily (biking, walking), do not add lots of salt to my food, do not eat a lot of sugar. I do not like the side effects of two drugs mentioned by pharmacy to replace Atenolol: metroprolol and carvodilol. Seeing my doctor on Oct 18. I do not want to take anything anymore. What are my chances?

Hi Jay
    With the lifestyle changes you describe, you could ask your doctor to hold off on the beta blockers, take your blood pressure three times a week, let him know your numbers and he can decide if you really need them

6. Bill Gertis says:

Hi, I’m 62, had vhf 3 years ago. Now lost 70 lbs, reversed diabetes and take no meds, eat healthy, rejection fraction now up to 30. New cardiologist wants me on lisinopril for135\70?

7. Lana says:

I am so greatful for this info… Not to mention livid at having been put on bp meds in the first place with a white collar reading of 140/80!!! I’ve never felt so bad… In just 4 months of Pearinda I have arm & leg cramps, coughing till I gag, all day & night… Can’t sleep. It’s dreadful! I felt much healthier before.

8. Lana says:

Been on Pearinda for only a few months. How do I ween myself off meds completely? Tried before by taking half a pill for 4 days then quitting & honestly felt like I was going to die from pressure & pulpitations. My Dr says I must just stay on meds. I refuse. Pls advise.

Hi Lana
    It sounds like you’re having difficulty with the ACE inhibitor group of BP meds. Ask youdoctor to change you to a different group, and then, maybe you’ll be able to taper them

10. Elizabeth Watkins says:

I have been taking Lsartan plus a water tablets for the past 7months , I have gained one and a half stone and have a dizzy and lightened for most of the time . I feel horrible , my doctor said only my bp was important , it is usually 140/73. Can I stop taking them ?

Hi Elizabeth
    Start by telling your doctr how horrible you feel. There are other families of BP meds that may have fewer side effects. Then ask him about tapering your meds

12. Nancy says:

I am a 61 year old female. I am about 20 pounds overweight. My blood pressure was 170/90 so my doctor put me on amlodipine 5mg. I was having headaches which have stopped. I eat a healthy diet but was not limiting my salt intake. My blood pressure is now averaging 130/80. How long should I have to be on medication? It only seems to be high when I’m at work.

Hi Nancy
    Your type of high blood pressure is called “labile” because it swings around depending on your situation. You’ve actually had the ideal response to a blood pressure med, going from a potentially dangerous number to a completely normal one. In your situation, you’re really better off just staying on the med–it is likely going to add years to your life

14. yukon tanner says:

thanks doc this gives me a trail to follow to get off of valsartan and the water pill. I have lost 2o lbs since Jan., reduced stress , less salt dash diet.and atai chi dailey.walking dailey and began lifting weights again….my regular doc passed away so am learning more on my own. I live on a remote 160 acre homestead north of talkeetna Alaska. blood pressure is running well below 140/90…..I am on it

15. Ricky says:

I recently had a hemorroghic stroke, and the doctor has me on Lisinopril 10 mg, and Carvedilol 3.125 mg for 6 months now. Lately I’ve been having a persistent cough, and some other side effects. Do you think that one or both medications is causing these effects?

Hi Ricky
    It’s the Lisinopril and cough with that med is a frequent side effect. Let your doctor know and he’ll switch you to a BP med from a different family

17. Jeff Conrad says:

Hello 60yr old male ..just had stent and Doc put me on Plavix..not comfortable with it..what is a safer alternative,thanks

18. Juliana says:

Hello I am a female 55 with a family history of hypertension. My BP had been good at home but high at the drs office. This was the case for several years. Once I went to the drs my bp was high. She said to take it at home and keep a record. I became very nervous at home and my bp was high. It’s like white coat followed me home. I decided to switch drs and again I had high bp at the drs so she put me on metropol 25 mg twice a day reducing it to 25 mg once a day. Still my bp sometimes spikes from use of bp machine but if I calm down bp comes down. I exercise every day, do breathing exercises, yoga, reduce salt, decrease caffeine ( am a heavy tea drinker). I think I’m ok and want to be off my meds or reduce even more.

19. Nancy Von Helms says:

Came across this webpage when I Googled “blood pressure medications and stomach issues.
    I am a 70+ “mature adult” with severe arthritis, fibromyalgia and fluxuating high blood pressure. Had all of these illnesses for many years. Been on many meds, especially for the BP. To get to the point, am currently taking 25mg of atenolol in a.m. and 5mg of amlodipine in p.m. I HATE both of them but tried everything else. I have had foot pain, leg pain, stomach pain and flairs of irritable bowel.. Which of the BP meds might be causing the problem? Do you need more details? I have to stop taking the atenolol in a couple of weeks and switch to another beta. (bisenolol?)

20. Maureen chater says:

I currently take 1xtablet Bendroflumethiazide 2.5mg daily I have been on this medicine for 20yrs, every time I ask my doctor if I can come off them and see if my BP is OK he says no I should continue with the med I am now 70yrs old and have reasonably good health my parents did not suffer high BP my weight has been the same for the past 20yrs my dress size is 10/12 I take a multi vitamin magnesium and flaxseed no other Meds I just wondered why I still have to take them

Hi Mary
    Your medication dose is so small that the chances for it causing any problems are minimal. Your doctor is thinking, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” In other words apparently everything is fine with you and that small dose of med may be helping. Just stay on it and I hope you refill it for the next 30 years

22. Michael J Louis says:

High Dr on avareage my BP is 120/ 88 or 125/ 75 this is after me turning into a vegetarian. I’m on 3 high BP meds Labetalol 200 mg twice a day, Enalapril 20 mg once a day, Amlodipine besylate 10 mg once day. I do have side effects of shortness of breathe, severe coughing at times along with other issues. I lost about 56 lbs through eating very healthy and exercising and I ran a marathon also. I’m writing because I would love to get off completely from my meds. I’ve seen 2 Doctors and they both said the same thing about me being on meds for the rest of my life. Weight wise I’m 6’1 and 240 lbs muscular built and still dropping weight. I’m 42 years old. Are the Doctors right?

23. Mario Capangpangan says:

Hi Dr. E. I am 65 yrs old and will be 66 in Jan 19. Am also a stroke survivor and diabetic. I have been taking valsartan plus diuretic HCTZ 80/12.5 mg as my maintenance medicine for blood pressure. But in the past week until now, my bp readings have gone low to 100/60 or 110/60, and I feel dizzy every time I stand up. Is this still safe for me? Or will I reduce my dose of valsartan to 40 mg, while maintaining HCTZ? That is, 40/12.5 mg.? Is this a safe approach, or you have a much better suggestions, like changing meds, etc., so my dizziness will disappear. Thanks much.

24. Mary says:

This sounds a better alternative for me as I’ve had too many side effects on two different meds. The first med i took (can’t remember the drug, I had shortness of breath and the Dr changed the med to Amiodipine 5mg ,that gave me ocular migrants for three weeks, now he has prescribed moxonidine 200micrograms. and I’v just only started 6 weeks ago on this blood pressure journey, and have never felt so unwell since.
    My bp was 165/90-95 before and now 153/72 should i start this new med or ask about the fluid tablets?
    Would much appreciate your opinion Dr.
    Mary

To Mario
    Your BP is getting low enough to discuss lowering or even discontinuing meds with your doctor. You can probably drop the HCTZ component of the Valsartan/HCTZ–let your doc know about the lightheadedness
    To Michael
    Sounds like a trimming of meds is in order. The cough is caused by the enalapril and your doc will probably want that stopped first. If your BP stays low, then ask him to slowly taper the others, probably the labetolol first. Since you’re taking your BP regularly on your own, if the numbers are as good as you say, your doc will likely agree.
    To Mary
    From your numbers, you’ll likely need something for blood pressure. Ask your doc about the ARB meds (they all end in ‘sartan’). There are several and they have a very low rate of side effects

26. Michelle Green says:

What if you cannot take a diuretic because you have overactive bladder. I am currently on 40mg of Lisenopril. I️ have been taking my blood pressure daily for over three weeks and it is consistently over 140/90, one time it was 171/104. I am a 58 year old female who exercises at least 3 days per week (elliptical). Thanks.

Hi Michele
    Lisinopril is not a diuretic and seems to be working for you. You do need to talk to your doctor about what’s available for overactive bladder

28. Elizabeth Barry says:

I am a 74 yr. old female who is being treated for protein in my kidney. I have been prescribed valsartan (40 mg) which caused serious muscle spasms. I was then prescribed Diovan(20 mg) and subsequently have significant muscle tingling and numbing pain in my legs. Have great difficulty sleeping. Years before, I had difficulty with a chronic cough caused by Lisinopril. My blood pressure fluctuates using a wrist device. (this a.m. 139/71) I need to stop the Diovan. Can you recommend an alternative drug that will treat my condition as well as control my blood pressure. My doctor says there are no other options for meds.

Hi Elizabeth
    I would suggest seeing a kidney specialist (nephrologist). They have a knowledge of meds beyond the usual ones prescribed by primary care doctors. Maybe you weren’t told this but Diovan and Valsartan are the same drug. All that your doctor did was reduce your dose by half.

30. CHARMAINE HUNTER says:

I AM A 65 YEAR OLD WOMAN AND HAVE BEEN ON NORVASC 10 MG FOR 9 YEARS NOW, I HAVE OSTIOPORISIS AND IBM DOING WELL ON THOSE CONDITIONS, BY BP IS 120/80 AND WANT TO GET OFF OF THE BP MEDS, I AM TAKING COQ10 100 MG. AND THAT IS WORKING OUT WELL, I AM REDUCING MY BP MEDS TO 5 MG A DAY I OK’D IT WITH MY PCP, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES I CAN GET OFF COMPLETELY?

31. Dr. R says:

Charmaine. You’re well on your way. Work with your PCP who seems very willing to assist you.

32. Gracia says:

hi Doc,
    am 35 year old woman who has given birth 6.5 months ago. 5 days after delivering my baby, my blood pressure shot to 172/106 and after that lingered on 150/100 readings.i had no high BP during pregnancy or before. all my doctors (obgyn and cardiologist) told me it’s just from me being anxious as first time mom, so they did not prescribe me any meds (and told me not to take any readings) until after my son was 4.5 months (note: i am not overweight, and had been limiting my salt intake for the last two years. so they thought it’s pregnancy/postpartum hormones related which raised my blood pressure). when my son was 4.5 months, i took my bp and it has dropped to around 130-140/80-90 readings. since it was borderline hypertension, my cardiologist finally put me on 5mg amlodipine which dropped my bp right away to normal level (110-120/60-80). i was on 5 mg amlo for a month, then reduced to 2.5mg amlo daily up to now (blood pressure remains the same normal level). i am not scheduled for any consultation until February next year, but i feel like am ready to wean off from this meds since i dont like the side effects (nosebleed, rhinitis, oedema, heart palpitations)and am hoping that this bp issues already settled down as it’s been more than 6 months postpartum . that being said, am currently taking my med every two days, and wondering if this is the right method of weaning off. what do you think?
    thanks.

33. Dr. R says:

Gracia. It’s probably best to contact the prescribing physician who knows you best for the proper manner to wean off the medication. Often a conversation with the doctor’s assistant is all you’ll need.

34. Ana C. says:

Hi Dr. E.

My name is Ana. Just recently my right eye blood vessel popped. Didn’t think anything of it and just went on may. My supervisor noticed it and stated that I check my blood pressure…It was 179/101. We checked it all day and it kept going up. I went to the doctor and it was as high as 198/102. They put me on Lorastan/Potassium. I have never ever had any issues with blood pressure and know of no one in my family with high blood pressure. I work out…5-6 a week doing Cross Fit and Weights. I have been on this medication for 4 days. I’m not one to take poison…and would prefer I do all natural. What would you suggest I do?

Hi Ana
    The burst blood vessel probably is unrelated to your high blood pressure but you should be glad it happened because it alerted you and your doctor that there was a blood pressure issue. Your BP of 198/102 is quite high and you should stay on the medication. After a few weeks of normalizing your blood pressure, your doctor can consider lowering your Losartan dose and perhaps discontinuing it but don’t do anything on your own

36. Robert Richman says:

Idont recall whether I took my a.m. dose both hydrochlorathorazide + benazeprl. Is better to take it and risk having taken it twice or just skip one day without either?

37. Nou Yang says:

I am 41 years old with high blood pressure. Checked into ER and they prescribed me hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg. Been taking it for about a week now – changed my diet, doing 20-30 mins of exercise per day. And doesn’t seem like the HBP is subsiding. Perhaps there could be an electrolyte imbalance? Maybe it’s a process that takes time? This is my first time on this medication…if you can shed any light please let me know.

Hi Nou
    Hydrochlorthiazide sometimes takes 2-3 weeks to work so for the time being just be patient. Reduce your salt, continue exercising

Hi Robert
    This happens to everyone. Just skip today and restart tomorrow

40. jim says:

I was under alot of stress and felt dizzy and frazzled. went to my doctor and bp 140/100. he put me on 75mg of ibersartan. went to cardio doctor 4 days later and bp was 130 /75. i have been taking for 1 and 1/2 months. feel dizzy and cant focus eyes on and of. take blood pressure at home. it is usually around 120/80 . sometimes lower and sometimes slightly higher. i have not been able to do exercises due to a recent hernia repair. when can i start to come off of medication

Hi Jim
    Since your blood pressure was high when you were under stress, if you are coming up with strategies to reduce stress it would seem reasonable to start lowering your dose and even discontinuing it over the next few days. You need to work with your primary care doc or your cardiologist about this

42. marc johnn says:

DR….what you say makes a lot of sense. I usually suffer with white coat hypertension.when i take my own blood pressure i have very nice BP.
    At a certain doctors visit i was given Lisinopril and amlodipine.i had side effects and almost blacked out.that increased my anxiety and i had to start exercising to get rid of the anxiety.
    i really appreciate your comments.I hope to buy a Resperate
    soon.
    best regards

43. Cindy says:

Hello David!
    Thank you very much for your article! If HCTZ is required, do you recommend taking it once per day or 12.5 mg twice per day? Do you recommend taking it at a certain time of day?

Hi Cindy
    Once a day in the AM on the HCTZ is fine. Remember it is a diuretic and if you take it in the evening, you really don’t want to be getting up to pee

45. Alex says:

Hi Dr E

I started BP medication at 23 and have been on it for almost 3 years now. At 22 I found out I have an irregular EKG that signaled I might have LVH. Did the full cardiologist experience (twice) and they could not find anything except that my blood pressure swings abnormally high every now and again 160/90. In fact during the stress test I did so well they said I was in the 99th percentile! I’m in very good shape not overweight but I don’t watch my diet as much as I should. Anything I can do or loook up to see if I can wean myself off this lisinopril 20mg?

Hi Alex
    High blood pressure in young people is not common but can occur if it runs in your family. Years and years of poorly controlled high blood pressure definitely gives you risks for heart and kidney disease and strokes. Since Lisinopril for most people has virtually zero side effects, if I were you, I’d bite the bullet and just take the med. Your good work at maintaining excellent health PLUS your well controlled blood pressure will likely allow you to enjoy your nineties

47. Thusitha Jayasundera says:

Dear David, thank you for this helpful article. I am a slim reasonably fit 46 yr Old woman and was recently diagnosed with stress enhanced high blood pressure- which was in excess of 150/100 I am currently on 2.50 mg of ramipril. What I have found is that my systolic pressure responds quickly to meds where as the diastolic reading is far more stubborn. Does this point to anything particular? So far, my ECG and blood tests appear all clear. Desperate to be off the bp meds if possible as I find the side effects debilitating.

Hi Thusitha
    The high blood pressure likely runs in your family. Have you tried a low salt diet and biofeedback? The machine is called Resperate and available online

**Facial Rejuvenation
The Ultimate DIY Anti-Aging Facial!
With Mari Stecker, LAc
Thursday, January 18, 2018; 6:00-7:30 PM
$65 course fee
(includes guasha tool and anti-aging facial oil)

Join us and learn a traditional Chinese facial rejuvenation technique that you can do yourself! Guasha treatment is a 2,000 year old Chinese massage technique that uses a flat tool to apply pressure to the skin to increase circulation as it moves along acupuncture channels.

Facial guasha is an easy to learn technique that:
* encourages blood flow and promotes radiance
* prevents wrinkles
* activates cells to regain facial elasticity
* drains fluids to detoxify skin and reduce puffiness
* sloughs off dead skin cells
* uplifts and tones skin
* firms up facial muscles
* minimizes dark circles
* promotes a healthy, younger and more radiant look

Register online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

**Vaginal Rejuvenation
Thursday, February 1, 2018;  6:00 – 8:00 PM
With Mari Stecker, LAc & Renee Zambo, RYT
Fee: $65

Are you experiencing vaginal dryness? Or pain with intercourse? Have you been told you have vaginal atrophy due to menopauseAre you frustrated because you believe your sex life is overWell, it doesn’t have to be!

Come learn easy, non-pharmaceutical, non-hormonal, low cost techniques that you can do at home to help alleviate vaginal dryness, atrophy, thinning of vaginal skin and/or painful intercourse.

Spots are limited, and registration is required. Register on-line or by calling (773) 296-6700. More>>

• Why Conventional Medicine Hates Homeopathy

If it’s of any comfort to US homeopaths, until the past ten years or so, when the health insurance industry gave conventional medicine something serious to fret about, the organized hostility toward alternative medicine was mostly democratic. It hated all forms. Their battle cry, “We’re …Read More »
  • The Flu

It’s here, folks. You’ve likely had the flu in the past and if you’re currently coming down with symptoms you’re not looking forward to the next few days. Your throat hurts, your nose is first watery, then clogged with something approximating cement. Your muscles ache …Read More »

January Sale: 20% Off the UltraLux IV Light Box

Full Spectrum Solutions has been an industry leader for the past 20 years, offering therapeutic lighting that is made right here in the Midwest (Michigan). The UltraLux IV is the first and only LED light therapy unit on the market that is both fully adjustable. Unlike many of their competitors, they boast a high CRI rating (90+) and a lifetime warranty so you never have to purchase replacement bulbs again. Full spectrum light therapy is often recommended in cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to help make up for the sunlight that is missing from these shorter, winter days.

To learn more about and purchase the UltraLux IV, click here.

To see past Health Tips on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and Dr. Edelberg’s recommendations, including a full spectrum light box like the UltraLux IV, click here.