Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and conditions, alternative therapies, nutrition, nutritional supplements, and much more. Acupuncture / Traditional Chinese Medicine Aging Allergies & Food Sensitivities Alternative Therapies Big Pharma Evils Bone Health Candida (Yeast) and Parasites Cardiovascular Health Case Studies Chiropractic & Physical Medicine Dermatology Digestion Diseases Ear, Nose & Throat Environmental Sensitivities Eye Care Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Fitness & Exercise Health Insurance Issues Healthy Lifestyle Immune System Inflammation Integrative Medicine Lyme Disease & Morgellons Men's Health Mental Health Nutrition, Nutritional Supplements, Vitamins, & Herbal Remedies Pain Management Sexual Health Thyroid, Adrenal, & Sex Hormone Issues Weight Issues Women's Health

Getting Off (Or Avoiding) Blood Pressure Meds

Posted 01/05/2015

If you’re currently taking a blood pressure medication OR your doctor has remarked that she’ll be keeping an eye on your “borderline” high blood pressure OR high blood pressure runs in your family and you have concerns about it, please read this Health Tip closely. The issues surrounding blood pressure are far more complicated than you might guess.

Importantly, your doctor, who we can safely assume intends the best for your health, may be basing her recommendations and prescribing your medication on what she may not know is actually some very controversial information. She simply may not be aware that she’s starting you on what could be decades of inappropriate medication for a condition you don’t really have…and one that isn’t even dangerous to your health.

In fact, based on new government guidelines in which your doc is paid less by insurance companies for failing to reach certain clinical goals (like getting your blood pressure down to a designated low number), she may be encouraged to prescribe more meds for your potentially non-existent elevated blood pressure. Read that sentence a couple of times and let it sink in. It means if your blood pressure is not at a particular “normal” level AND your doctor has failed to give you medication to reach that level, she can be financially penalized, even if your actual blood pressure level is totally harmless to your health. Tell me that’s not just a little bit spooky.

Part One: what exactly is “normal” blood pressure?
This simple question is actually fraught with controversy, backbiting, scandal, and truly egregious self-serving behavior on the part of highly placed–and highly paid–physicians, drug companies, and apparently neutral organizations like the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the World Health Organization (WHO). For an idea of how the answer to this question has shifted, if you have some spare time take a look at this piece, which examines the scope of change in high blood pressure treatment over the course of a decade.

If you remember what I wrote about statins and high cholesterol–that lowering the number for ideal cholesterol meant an increase of multiple millions of statin users–precisely the same sequence of events has occurred with high blood pressure meds.

Over the years there have been numerous studies, all but one financially supported by the pharmaceutical industry, to determine a risk-free blood pressure number. When I was first in training, I learned that blood pressure levels normally rose with a person’s age. The magic formula we were taught? The systolic reading (the top number) was 100 plus your age. The bottom number should be 90 or lower.

Thus, a healthy blood pressure for a 50-year-old could be 150/90. Basically, you started treatment when someone’s blood pressure was 160/100 or higher. I remember one professor saying he preferred 160/95.

But then a series of studies began to appear in the US and Europe saying that the risks for heart disease and stroke increased if that formula (100 plus your age) was followed, and the ideal blood pressure was reported as 120/80, with treatment beginning at 140/90. And here’s where the controversy began.

Change the number, create a patient
Although data did show that patients with consistent blood pressure higher than 140/90 were at some risk for heart attack and stroke, there was not much evidence that using more meds to drive the blood pressure further down–to that magic 120/80–really prevented much of anything. And it certainly increased pill taking, side effects, and symptoms due to blood pressures actually dropping too low.

From Big Pharma’s perspective, “change the number, create a patient” is an important phrase, possibly a central tenet:

• Bringing total cholesterol down to an ideal number anywhere below 200 with an LDL (the bad cholesterol) below 70 hits the financial jackpot. These strict guidelines will increase the number of potential statin users from 12.8 to 48 million.
  • Adjusting “ideal” blood pressure from 160/100 to 140/90 added 13.5 million new drug users. Trying to medicate people with 140/90 BP to even lower levels will add tens of millions more pill swallowers.

Added to the problem of changing the standards of what constitutes high blood pressure and what does not, doctors are well aware that most people get anxious in the doctor’s office and this itself drives up blood pressure. Called white-coat hypertension, this phenomenon has resulted in tens of thousands of utterly unnecessary blood pressure prescriptions.

I don’t mean now to deliberately trigger your TMJ, but it turns out that virtually every lead investigator of the studies that pushed blood pressure “normals” to lower levels had financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry, as did (and does) the FDA and WHO.

My take on normal blood pressure
So what’s normal? Most doctors agree it depends on the individual’s situation.

Let’s call 145/95 (taken at home, not in the doctor’s office, over a number of days) borderline high blood pressure.

If there are no other risk factors (smoking, overweight, diabetes, previous heart issues), I start treating at this point or anything higher with salt restriction and stress reduction, including yoga, tai chi or meditation. If there are risk factors such as those just listed, I’ll prescribe a medication and discuss the lifestyle changes outlined below.

Very high blood pressures, like 160/110 or higher, do require prompt pharmacological intervention.

Part Two: which medication?
Here’s where the infighting among physicians gets nasty. It turns out that every study that had drug money behind it recommended one or more drugs that were newly released at the time and therefore high-priced: beta blockers initially (like Inderal), then angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors (ACE inhibitors such as Lisinopril), angiotensin II receptor blockers (ARBs such as Cozaar), and amlodipine (Norvasc).

But each of these had side effects and were often prescribed in various combinations, increasing the number of possible side effects. Also, driven by that artificially low magic number of 120/80 or lower, some people simply felt poorly having such low blood pressures. The meds didn’t magically place you right at 120/80. Sometimes they overshot the goal. For example, a blood pressure of 90/60 can make many an adult feel woozy and lightheaded.

(This from a patient: “My dad is on three blood pressure meds. He has to stand up real slowly or he gets lightheaded and once fainted.”

The only study with no drug money behind it, the ALLHAT study (short for Antihypertensive and Lipid-Lowering Treatment to Prevent Heart Attack Trial), found that the oldest of the blood pressure meds, water pills called diuretics, were the very safest and had the very best outcomes for stroke and heart attack prevention.

Yes, there was fury.

Physicians receiving financial largesse from Big Pharma looked mightily for flaws in the ALLHAT study. The drug companies ran full-page ads in the Journal of the American Medical Association basically tweaking ALLHAT data in an attempt to prove their branded drugs were just as good as diuretics. But they weren’t. Diuretics were best.

With this background, what should you do?

1. If you’re already taking blood pressure meds, work with your doctor when it comes to medication adjustment. Quitting or reducing blood pressure drugs is not a DIY project. If your physician doesn’t recommend going off your medication, ask him or her if you can be switched to a diuretic.
  1. If you don’t have your own blood pressure measuring device, buy one. It must be one that measures from your upper arm (not your wrist or finger), and if you’re obese be sure to get an extra-wide cuff. Take your blood pressure three to four times a week at the same time of day. Record all readings and bring them to your doctor. This will eliminate the white-coat hypertension issue.
  1. Seriously live by the DASH diet, which (don’t be shocked) emphasizes veggies, fruits, whole grains, fish, and poultry and limits salt, sugar, and red meats. Nibble celery, proven clinically to lower blood pressure.
  1. If you’re in the group of patients with severe high blood pressure–diastolic (bottom number) of 110 or higher–and your blood pressure is controlled on meds, stay on them. If you’re on several blood pressure medications and your at-home readings are good, your doc may at least be able to trim the number of meds you take.
  1. If you have mild high blood pressure and are on medication, or you’re borderline and your doctor is considering putting you on medication, be proactive. Lose weight, stop smoking, begin regular exercise, and reduce your salt intake. Learn stress reduction techniques such as yoga, meditation, and tai chi. Consider getting (and using!) a portable Resperate unit (which costs about $99 online), the only biofeedback device FDA-approved for high blood pressure.
  1. If, after your best efforts, you can’t budge your BP below 145/95, try taking two natural products in addition to your medication: Vasophil, containing the amino acid arginine, precursor of nitric oxide, which opens blood vessels (start with one capsule twice daily, increasing to two capsules twice daily if needed) and CoQ10 (UBQH 100 mg daily).
  1. If you do need a prescription med, start with a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily or Dyazide one daily or Furosemide 20 mg daily).

Just don’t be a victim of the several superficially unbiased (but actually highly biased!) organizations that have their best interests, not yours, at heart.

Hi Eric
    Older patients can be VERY sensitive to prescription drugs. His 150/104 is decidedly high but his medication dose was probably too high as well.
    I would suggest starting at 1/4 his previous dose. If he was at 5 mg., get some 2.5 mg and use a half tab of these. Check BP at least every other day both lying down and standing. Increase by 1.25 mg a week (don’t go higher than original dose) and when numbers are good, remain there

2. Cindy says:

Hello, is it necessary to wean off of HCTZ?

3. Patricia mays says:

Dr. I am a 51 yr old female and I am on 4 blood pressure medications…this is worrisome to me. Can you give me any suggestion on how to go about talking with my docter about this…

4. scott isom says:

Thanks you for your help, I have been at 125/82 for years and still on blood pressure pills. I will work with my Dr now to get off of them.

Thanks for your information!

Scott

5. A Fashina says:

I prayed God help and reward you greatly. Your article has helped in great depth. Very many thanks

6. Gina says:

Have you ever heard of Losartan causing muscle or joint pain? My hip and knee pain has been horrible since starting Losartan 100 mg. Dr. rolls her eyes when I mention this.

Thank you so much for the informative articles regarding blood pressure. Really opened my eyes !

Hi Gina
    This is from a website listing COMMON side effects of Losartan
    Cozaar (losartan) is an oral angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) prescribed for the treatment of hypertension. Side effects of Cozaar include:

diarrhea
    stomach pain
    muscle cramps
    leg or back pain
    dizziness
    headache
    sleep problems (insomnia)
    tiredness, and
    cold or flu symptoms such as stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat, fever, and cough

Tell your doctor to memorize it and stop rolling his/her eyes

8. Kathy says:

Hello I have been on Labatol 200mg 3 x a day since and procardia xl since 2/4 after an emergency c section within 48 he’s I developed high blood pressure…. After getting released I have been on the pills until 4/12/17… I have been off labatol since 2/12 and procardia since 2/7/2017…. Do they cause any withdrawal symptoms? After using them?

Hi Kathy
    No withdrawal symptoms BUT should be tapered rather than abruptly discontinued to avoid a rebound upswing of blood pressure

10. Shanna says:

Thank you very much for writing this article!!!
    I have a question for you- how can I safely stop taking hctz? I am on 25 mg and my bp is 110/70. Since starting on the meds I have lost weight, been exercising frequently and also take magnesium. A dr told me to stop taking the hctz but when I tried I swelled up within a day so started taking again 🙁
    I would really appreciate any advice you could provide on how to safely stop the med. Will my body be able to safely process water again??
    Kindest wishes!!

Hi Shanna
    Cut it in half (12.5 mg) and take that dose daily for a week, then every other day for a week. Then just use it as needed for fluid retention

12. Shanna says:

Can decreasing the hctz to half dose cause heart palpitations? I started taking a half dose on Monday but am noticing some mild swelling and irregular heart rate and some palpitations.
    Do you think I should get this checked out?

13. Dave Allen says:

My blood pressure was 140/90 my doctor put me on 50 mg of low Sartain now my blood pressure is 120/70 but I’m also taking 4500 mg of citrulline will that help my arteries and can I possibly reduce my losartan if not do you still think the citrulline is good for my arteries

Hi Dave
    My own blood pressure stays at 140/90 and my cardiologist just shrugs and doesn’t write an rx. You could probably reduce to 50 mg of Losartan and follow the DASH diet

15. Shanna says:

Hi Dr E! Thank you again for writing this article! It has helped me a lot. Thanks for your suggestion to wean myself off of the HCTZ. I went down to half a pill and was experiencing irregular heart beat for 2 wks due to my body adjusting to handling extra water again but luckily 2 wks later that has subsided. My bp is still low 97/76 when I check it at home or 120/80 in dr office so I am going to go off the med altogether but am planning to wait until I get back from a trip next wk as I figure a long flight isn’t the best time to adjust to extra water again. I’m thinking I will go down to a quarter pill and then nothing since I had a reaction going from a whole to half. Crazy all the side effects are of these meds that people are taking who don’t really need them. It’s amazing that walking every day can be the type of perscription many of us need. I am already feeling much better and less dehydrated even going from a whole pill to half.
    Thanks again!!!

16. Marilyn Overcash says:

Thank you so much. This is the best article I have ever read. I am taking Losartan and diltalzipam and feel horrible. I know the diltizapam has made me gain at least 20 pounds. Do you have any advice about this?

17. Dee says:

I love this article. This all rings true for me based on my own research. I just started taking hydrochlorithiazide 12.5 daily for hypertension 100/160. I’m a 57 yo African American female. I want to eventually eliminate all medications by losing weight( btw my bmi is 24.5) and reducing salt, sugar and “bad fats”. I was told African-Americans have higher rates of hypertension. What is your take on this idea?

Hi Marilyn
    The villain is most likely the diltiazem. Talk to your doctor about switching you to a med from a different family or going off it altogether

Hi Dee
    Your hydrochlorthiazide dose is really low but I don’t know where your blood pressure was when you started it. You might ask your doctor about taking half tablets (6.25 mg) and see if your blood pressure stays low.
    At 6.25 mg your doctor may decide you really don;t need anything

20. Chuck says:

Hi Doc, I am a 42 year old male. Over the past two years I have made some amazing changes to my overall health! I used to be 200lbs (I am 5’10’). I excersize regularly and eating healthy, except when I endulge I sometimes go overboard. My current weight is at 180lbs, I run at least 3x a week and trying to incorporate strength training. I am working on a half-marathon, so you get a big picture of my physical activity. I have been finding my blood pressure averages around 150/90 and sometimes 160/100 when I’m stressed. If I sit and breath for my next reading I can get it to 140/90! I started my health change journey because I did not want to end up on meds. I have also had high cholesterol. For a while I was able to get my BP to 120/70! But the high readings are back! It’s become frustrating and I’m concerned that my doctor will want me to take meds! I am taking coq10 l-Argenine and hibiscus tea (it seemed to help before). So, question is what do I do? I really don’t want to go on meds, but I don’t want to be unsafe. How much time do I have to try and correct this again? I have no symptoms by the way. I do drinks 3-4 cups of coffee too. Ok. Hoping to hear from you. Thanks.

Hi Chuck

Read about this product. It actually works for your level of blood pressure. Available direct from company or from amazo

22. Josephine says:

Thank god there’s somebody out there telling you the truth

23. This information was very helpful. Thank you.

24. Jon says:

Two weeks ago I drank little too much alcohol, nothing extreme though. I got little hangover the next day, then I started too feel little dizzy and heavy over the chest, this stayed for two more days, the third day I had my BP checked and it was 180/110, went to the hospital and got medicine that I put under my tounge. Next day the pressure was up to 140/100, that day I saw a doctor he subscribed me to Benicar HCT 20mg/12,5mg, BP is well down usually around 120/80, but my head feel dizzy, any recommendation would be well appreciated.

25. Victoria Grant says:

Thank you, I know that this is the right approach for me. It puts my mind at ease, constantly fighting with my Doctor has become a nightmare, worst than the diagnosis.

Hi Jon
    Most likely the rise in blood pressure occurred because of alcohol and hangover. That said, I wouldn’t abruptly stop the medication but work with your doctor to reduce the dose and then perhaps discontinue it altogether. Don’t do this w/o physician supervision–it is possible that you do need BP meds after all

27. Yvonne Worsdell says:

Am currently coming off almond opine I.e. Stopped. Am having withdrawal symptoms tired etc but not as bad as symptoms on the drug after 2 years. According to your article I wonder if I even needed a bp pill.

Hi Yvonne
    Just make sure you or your physician is following your blood pressure during the weeks after you’ve discontinued your medication. Remember, not everyone can go off BP meds–some people simply just need to be on something

29. Judy Baldwin says:

I have been taking lisinopril 5 ml sometimes 10ml for a year. When I first started I was 25 pounds heavier. I have now lost all that weight and exercise and started feeling really lightheaded… Because I think the medicine was too much. I got off the medicine six days ago. My blood pressure’s in the 120s /70’s

How long does it take to get lisinopril out of my system? I still feel lightheaded pretty consistently through the day.

Hi Judy
    Keep yourself well hydrated, and, for no more than a week, be more generous with your salt than you’d probably been advised to do. The lightheadedness should clear.
    Congrats on your excellent self-care

31. Roxane says:

Hi. I am a 56 year old female, I’m on 3 different BP meds, my BP usually run high with a high heart rate. (my dr. words ur HR is on excerise mode at all times) with that said he put me on a pill for that. Which makes that the 3rd med I’m on. My BP has been really good staying around 117/78, I recently started the HCG shots and have noticed that my BP has gone back up to 140/94. Should I be alarmed about this. I had a complete work up before I started the shots EKG was good. Any advise you can offer would be greatly appreciated

32. Shawn M Grant says:

This is by far the best article I have read…I never wanted to be on a maintenance drug for the rest of my life. I never had BP until I turned 45- all the meds make my hair shed, I tried 3. I have started my proactive journey and I am on the path of saying good bye to all of these meds..this morning 138/84. I can beat this! thank you so much!@

33. James Alvin says:

Thank you, thank you and thank you! I am 57 years old and have been taking blood pressure meds for about 8 years now. I began with a beta-blocker then switched to an extremely low dose of lisinopril. I do have a family history of high blood pressure but I have always tried to eat healthy and stay slim. My doctor thinks I can begin to ween myself off of medication for blood pressure but recently my cholesterol levels were 250 so of course immediately they wanted to put me on statins. I refused to do so, wanting to work hard on my diet first but they just don’t want you to do that!!! I have recently experienced drowsiness and when I take a blood pressure reading it’s low usually around 110/70. I would love to get off the meds but of course now they put the fear of high cholesterol and clogged arteries to the table…. I eat very little red meat or dairy as well..My diet consists of lots of Japanese miso, natto, cayenne, etc…
    Breathing exercises have also helped with lowering my blood pressure…
    Should my cholesterol readings scare me?

34. Anna says:

I’m being weaned from 100 mg.of Losartan in which the bp was an average of 140/95. Now, it at 150/95 @ 50 mg of Losartan and the bp bounces a little higher sometimes. The BP has gone high on 50 mgs but seems to be stabilizing. Do u think its possible to get off Losartan. Its been 1 month.
    My doctor DOES NOT SEEM TO THINK THE BP BOUNCING IS A PROBLEM, but it scares me.

35. k.r. harris says:

Am on 30 mg lisinopril and for about 7 years hsve hair loss worse in past year and now almopdine has been prescribed, too expensive. What BP med does not cause hair loss?my bp goes ip and down and have been taking alprazalam when it gets bad. How can I quit taking bp meds?

36. godelieve danker says:

after having plaque psoriasis for 35 years it turned into erythrodermic psoriasis. It affected my heart and my lungs etc. I have been taking metoprolol and lisinopri for years even before the erythroderma. I would like to try going off my meds with supervision from my doctor if possible. Have you any experience between the connection of high blood pressure meds and psoriasis. I know that this is not the main reason for my conditions but would like to do what I can myself to be more pro-active through diet control, excercise etc. Thank you

Hi KR
    I don’t know where you live but amlodipine is $3 a month at KMart and $8 a month at Costco–this is “cash”, no insurance
    Many BP drugs are associated with hair loss. The only group that is not are the beta blockers like CoReg (carvedilol)

38. Jeff says:

Dr. E

My doctor prescribed Benicar 40mg HCTZ 12.5mg a few months. I’m 44yld 5’11 170lbs. Don’t smoke and no alcohol. I work out 7 days a week. On cardio days my blood pressure would drop to around 88/58 (I always check my blood pressure after my workouts). After 2 months taking the meds I started experience dizziness and have almost fainted after my workouts on cardio days (MWF). After the last incident in May 26 almost fainted at the gym, I decided to cut the dosage in half. After two weeks My BP continue to read below 90/60 after my cardio days therefore I finally decided to just stop taking them in Mid June. It seemed like I was more at risk taking the meds compared to before starting the meds. I have to always hold something when I get out of the soda to keep myself from falling from dizziness.

It’s now been a month and BP readings after my workouts 133/95 on average. I have started taking a second reading in the late afternoons and at times my BP has been spiking up 160/95.

What should I do? The side effects (including shedding of my hair) is not worth it because I have to limit my exercises because my BP drops to low. Would cutting the dosage to quarter of the original mg worth it? BTW, I don’t have diabetes and clean blood work and I’m a vegetarian.

I had to ask you because my doctor appears to lack knowledge of the medications he prescribes and truly frustrating.

Thoughts?

39. Tad says:

Dr E.
    I”m a 52 year old male in a similar situation as chuck. my morning readings are avg 129/85 but by the afternoon (my life can be stressful) i’m in the 150’s over 90’s and have seen the readings as high as 160/100. I just bought the resperate product and will be using that but my question is threefold. 1. since the average between morning and afternoon is still in the 141/89 range is this OK to try to treat with lifestyle mods first or since it does get to 160/100 occasionally should I start meds now? and 2. how long is it safe to do the lifestyle changes before (i’ve read 6 mos to a year but not sure what’s right) 3. what target number should I be looking toward and is that number the average between AM & PM readings or go by one or the other? thanks in advance for your help!!!……also are you willing to work with patients long distance? via skype or phone? I live in Alabama

40. Dawn says:

Wow! What an eye opener and written by an MD! I have often thought but didn’t want to believe that docs are in bed with the pharma and insurance companies. I have been on Lisinipril for3 years and taking myself off. I have had bronchial asthma since birth and it had become less of an issue for me over the years…maybe “outgrowing” it?? IDK, but what I do know is that since I have been on this HBP med, my asthma has become more of an issue to where I am using an inhaler several times a day and even in the middle of the night, along with other symptoms that are rearing their heads. I do not think this med is a benefit to me and today I decided to adjust my eating, watching hidden salt, and increasing exercise, This Lisinipril has me spooked and I do not like how I feel on it any longer. Will keep a close eye on things

41. Benson wangombe says:

I want to sue a hospital because of starting me with a level three drug instead of level one and causing me more problems yet they could have advised me to stop salt
    Name Benson wangombe from Kenya. benson.wangombe@gmail.com

42. Benson wangombe says:

Want to sue a hospital as my preceding comment states. What is your advice

43. shawn says:

Awesome of you mto speak in this field of government and doctor fraud. Thanks for helping confirm my research and side effects and being healthy and feeling terrible on doc prescribes pills. Thank You.

44. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Benson – Unfortunately since none of us are attorneys, we are not able to give legal advice. We wish you good health in the future, though.

-Dr M

45. Eddy R says:

My blood pressure was always around140/80 generally. One day I checked it and it was 180/100. I wore a 24 hour machine and if confirmed it was high. The doctor put me on lisinopril 20/12.5. It worked to well and the doc lowered it to 10/12.5. I have been on this medicine for 14 months and I have gained 20lbs.

I decided to try other alternatives and I am now taking 3000mg of Spirulina and 3 cups of hibiscus tea. I have broke my lisinopril 10/12.5 in half making it 5/6.25. I have been doing this for about 1 week and my blood pressure has fluctuated between 140/85 on the high side and as low as 100/60. These are afternoon readings between 6-8pm. I take my med at 7am.

It appears to be working, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

**Join us for a demonstration of Taoist Tai Chi® internal arts of health
Saturday, August 26th at 11:00AM – 12:00PM
There is no fee for this program
WholeHealth Chicago
2265 North Clybourn Ave.
773-296-6700

This demonstration of Taoist Tai Chi® arts will give you an opportunity to learn more about this ancient path to good health of body and mind. Taoist Tai Chi® arts help to promote a healthy, balanced life style and a simple way to manage stress. Taoist Tai Chi® arts offers a chance to discover a powerful adaptable, and accessible tool for all ages, including seniors, and people with specific health concerns. These arts can be used to help people take responsibility for their health on its own or as a complement to medical treatment they may be receiving.

**Facial Rejuvenation Guasha Class
The Ultimate DIY Anti-Aging Facial!

With Mari Stecker, LAc
Thursday September 21, 2017, 6:30-8PM, $65 course fee

Join us and learn a traditional Chinese facial rejuvenation technique that you can do yourself! Guasha treatment is a 2,000 year old Chinese massage technique that uses a flat tool to apply pressure to the skin to increase circulation as it moves along acupuncture channels.

Facial guasha is an easy to learn technique that:
* encourages blood flow and promotes radiance
* prevents wrinkles
* activates cells to regain facial elasticity
* drains fluids to detoxify skin and reduce puffiness
* sloughs off dead skin cells
* uplifts and tones skin
* firms up facial muscles
* minimizes dark circles
* promotes a healthy, younger and more radiant look

Register online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

**Vaginal Rejuvenation
October 12th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm  Fee: $65
With Mari Stecker, LAc & Renee Zambo, RYT

Are you experiencing vaginal dryness? Or pain with intercourse? Have you been told you have vaginal atrophy due to menopauseAre you frustrated because you believe your sex life is overWell, it doesn’t have to be!

Come learn easy, non-pharmaceutical, non-hormonal, low cost techniques that you can do at home to help alleviate vaginal dryness, atrophy, thinning of vaginal skin and/or painful intercourse.

This class is appropriate for any woman who is experiencing discomfort during intercourse, pelvic exams or daily activities due to vaginal dryness and atrophy as well as women who are experiencing vaginal changes due to perimenopause, menopause, cancer treatments, hysterectomy or medications.

This class will include information on specific instructions for self-treatments that can be done at home as well as yoga postures and meditation that focus on the pelvic region.

Movement and breath will draw awareness to the pelvic floor, and facilitate both the full relaxation and activation of pelvic floor muscles. A short guided meditation will reconnect awareness to the feminine energy held within the pelvis.

Register on-line or by calling (773) 296-6700.

• Women and ADHD, Part 1

Already ten minutes late for her first appointment, Claire phoned from her car that she’d be in the office in five minutes. Fifteen minutes later, arriving flustered and embarrassed, she blurted “Oh my gosh, I left all the forms on my kitchen table, but I …Read More »
  • The Dangerous Myth of Opioid Addiction

Trying to reduce the pain of my patients plays a major role in my day-to-day life as a doctor. When I was in training, there was a big debate going on: Should a doctor prescribe an opioid for non-cancer pain? The answer was Never! In …Read More »

August Sale: 20% Off All Hyland Homeopathic Products

Hyland’s has been trusted for generations to provide safe, effective, homeopathic medicines for every member of the family.  Take 20% off these products during August.  Read more>>