“My Breath Smells Like An Open Sewer”

Robert’s breath had become his worst nightmare and as a consequence he knew was starting to isolate himself socially. For three years, he’d tried every over-the-counter remedy. When he walked, Tic Tacs rattled in several pockets.

Robert had seen specialists, had his teeth cleaned every three months, and followed a twice-daily oral regimen that included flossing, brushing, and jet-streaming his gums.  The finale was a vicious tongue-scraping that left his taste buds raw and aching. He’d then blast whatever was left with undiluted mouthwash.

Robert had tried everything.

“The tongue-scraping is especially horrible,” he told me. “I can actually smell that sewer odor coming from that guck I scrape off.”

One doctor said it was all in his mind, that he should see a good psychiatrist because his breath might be a symbol of some deeper issue and that he might be sinking into the terrain of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Robert was intelligent enough to consider this for a moment, but because his wife had recently remarked that his breath was interfering with their lovemaking he skipped checking the mental health benefits on his insurance.

An otorhinolaryngologist (ear, nose, throat specialist) scoped his sinuses and pronounced them clean. A gastroenterologist (GI) scoped his esophagus and stomach and found nothing out of the ordinary. The GI doc was less than hopeful. “My brother has had bad breath since he was 20. He’s 50 now and spent a fortune trying to figure it out. Nothing. Nada. He lives on Certs.”

Robert offered the doctor a Tic Tac and left the office.

My meeting with Robert
When I first saw Robert I was not hopeful. First of all, I couldn’t smell a thing, which isn’t saying much because I have a dreadful sense of smell. He’d already read one of my previous Health Tips citing poor digestion as a possible cause of bad breath, but a month of digestive enzymes and betaine didn’t make a dent.

I reviewed Robert’s entire health history and there wasn’t much. He did have some heartburn (gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD) that he’d self-treated on an as-needed basis with Nexium, one of the proton-pump inhibitors that reduce stomach acid. Robert told me he had frequent bloating, but generally his bowels were regular and there were no particular foods that gave him trouble. Except for seeing a dermatologist for some stubborn rosacea, there was nothing really wrong with him that decapitation couldn’t cure (I knew he’d laugh when I told him this).

Since he already had a primary physician (who had pronounced him healthy) and had been pretty thoroughly tested by other doctors, I ordered two tests of his gastrointestinal function.

• For the first, a Comprehensive Stool Digestive Analysis, he would send stool specimens to Genova Labs to determine if he was digesting and absorbing his food normally. This test would also look for intestinal parasites and determine if there were any imbalances in his intestinal bacteria. Robert’s results were normal. He was digesting and absorbing his food well.
  • The second test would measure the contents of his breath for two gasses, hydrogen and methane. This test would determine if there were an overgrowth of bacteria in his small intestine, called SIBO for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Some bacteria in the small intestine is allowable. But an overgrowth can produce all sorts of mischief, including bloating and impairing your digestion and absorption of food.

For the SIBO test (done at home), Robert would drink a small amount of lactulose, a harmless sugar that’s like cotton candy to the target bacteria, which promptly respond to this treat by producing more gas than ever. For the next two hours, Robert would collect samples of his breath by blowing into a specially designed balloon and then attaching a vacuum tube to extract an air sample. He’d send off six tubes of air, which looked empty, but definitely were not.

When the test results came back from the lab, I knew we had an answer. This link shows a typical mild-to-moderate case of SIBO. Note how the hydrogen-methane content rises as time passes. Robert’s started rising at the 20-minute point and remained at the very top of the graph for the rest of the two-hour collection period. His was among the highest gas levels I’d ever encountered.

Treating Robert’s SIBO
Robert’s response to Xifaxan, the antibiotic most widely prescribed for SIBO, was dramatic. On the fourth day of his ten-day Xifaxan prescription, the nauseating odor from his tongue scraping had vanished. By the tenth day, neither he nor his wife could detect any breath odor whatsoever and I hoped they were now able to resume their passions.

Just why Robert had developed SIBO is hard to say. Some people get it if they have a chronic intestinal inflammation, like Crohn’s disease. Some get SIBO as a consequence of using the Nexium family of meds, which reduce the stomach acid necessary to keep the small intestine’s bacterial population in check. SIBO has also been linked to anything that slows intestinal motility (movement), like underactive thyroid or constipation-dominant irritable bowel syndrome. But for most people with SIBO, the “why me?” is left unanswered.

Fortunately, as in Robert’s case, treatment can be dramatically successful. The only caveat is that the bacteria are stubborn and a return of symptoms can occur. We reduce this possibility using an antibiotic blend of herbs and a quality probiotic, since nobody needs to be carpet-bombing what helpful bacteria they do have by taking an antibiotic regularly.

Three intriguing points worth mentioning
First, the question of the garbage-y odor itself since the two gasses measured with SIBO testing, hydrogen and methane, are both odorless. The likely reason for the odor is that the bacteria are producing other gasses, especially hydrogen sulfide, the villain behind your odiferous farts. You’re better off not thinking about this too much.

Second, a few weeks after treatment, Robert’s rosacea had disappeared. The link between SIBO and rosacea is relatively new, first described by a group of Italian physicians in 2008. Unfortunately, testing for SIBO has been slow among US dermatologists seeking a rosacea cure, but the connection might explain how Flagyl (metronidazole) works. Flagyl, the top-prescribed drug for rosacea can also be used to treat SIBO if Xifaxan is unavailable. Perhaps dermatologists prescribing Flagyl are inadvertently curing SIBO, which in turn cures the rosacea.

Third, I have to wonder if something as thoroughly annoying as having horrible breath  ever affects celebrities and other beautiful people. There’s a real imbalance in the universe. I mean, if Brad Pitt or Taylor Swift or Princess Kate had socially isolating breath problems, they’d be able to compensate by saying, “Thank god I’m Brad Pitt” or “Wow, at least I’m Taylor Swift” or “I’d be even more miserable if I weren’t a princess.”

Instead, this stuff strikes plebes like you and me. No justice.

Tagged with: , , , , , , , , , , ,
53 comments on ““My Breath Smells Like An Open Sewer”
  1. Simona Garcia says:

Thank you so much Dr. Edelberg! You saved me and I will forever be grateful!

2. Tammy says:

Could not be a more timely article personally for me. Unfortunately I allowed my GI doc to prescribe Rifaxamin before doing SIBO test to determine exactly which gases were causing the left sided pouch and now ready for the delivery room bloat. Now after round 3 of Rifaxamin getting the test done. Here’s my concern possibly have created greater methane gas bacteria now and may be harder to tx. On the fence about doing elemental diet adding flagyl or using herbals suggested by Dr Scieceker from siboinfo.com

3. Reem says:

Hi
    What herbal treatment is recommended?

4. Tammy says:

Check out siboinfo.Com
    Dr Siebecker describes what research supports and compares to antibiotic meds.

5. Mary Gardier says:

Sort of off-topic, Dr. Edelberg, but I was wondering if Clark Gable may have suffered from SIBO? Actresses who had kissing scenes with him reported that his breath was terrible!

I enjoy reading all of your articles, and have learned so much. I try to apply them to my own health concerns.

Take Care,
    Mary Gardier

Hi
    Actually Clark Gable has terrible gum disease which caused his bad breath and when all his horriblle teeth were pulled and he got dentures his breath improved.

7. Div says:

My daughter is 9 yrs old and has severe acid reflux. She is on Zantac but I would like to look for alternative options as these medicines can have long term impact on health. Is Homeopathy treatment a good alternate option for her? She is Asthma too and both triggering each other during Fall/ Winter

8. cliffmaurer says:

Homeopathy is a good option to consider. Making certain that her pediatrician is informed of all of her concerns and treatments is also important.
    -Dr. M

9. Mary Gardier says:

Interesting, thank you!

10. Mary Gardier says:

Interesting, thanks!

11. Tammie says:

Hi Dr., how can I get my Dr. to test me for SIBO because they think my bad breath is all in my head? Should I go to my PCP or GI Dr? My dentist told me my breath and teeth were good too.

12. Dr. R says:

Tammie. Start with your PCP and just make the request to be tested.

13. George Rane says:

Best article I have read on this condition. My breath problem I’ve broken down–oddly, it’s much more apparent when I eat or consume items with sulphite preservatives in them — beer, wine, procesed meats etc. I wondering if you have come across this before? What maybe the underlying cause.
    Thanks
    George

14. Sarah Reynolds says:

How can I get a doctor to prescribe this medicine? I’ve seen an ENT, Gastroenterologist and dentist and all the results are the same. I have severe sinus issues and mild gastric issues nothing that nexium wouldn’t cure and my dentist says nothing wrong but otherwise I have suffered for 10 years keeping me from pursuing my dreams.

Hi Sarah
    You can order this test directly from Genova.
    If your test is positive, your primary doc or your GI doc will likely go ahead and order Xifaxan
    Also, if you don’t do this already, buy a tongue scraper and clean the surface of your tongue every morning

16. Candy says:

Hi Dr. E,
    I loved your article! I have suffered with this terrible breath for almost 4 years, and the only thing that helped was Augmentin 875-125 for 14 days (but the smell returned after finishing) and then again with Flagyl for 14 days, but the smell returned. I have acid reflux and other digestive issues, and I want to know if you think that Xifaxin will still be able to help me in light of my recurrence of smell after I concluded the courses of the above mentioned antibiotics?
    Any help would be appreciated 🙂

Hi Candy
    Each of the meds you listed could be used for SIBO but are not first choice and this is why the symptom may be coming back. Get tested for SIBO and if positive get an rx for Xifaxan

18. maha says:

Can you translate it to arabic . please

19. VL says:

Hello Dr. Edelberg,

What a relief it is to read this article about Robert. I have been experiencing this same exact thing for a few years now and it feels like an absolute living nightmare. I am a female in my early 30s and this “odor” has been effecting every aspect of my life. It has made me incredibly anxious and depressed and I don’t know what to do anymore.

It is nothing relating to my mouth/teeth. I get my teeth cleaned twice a year and meticulously take care of my teeth. I have visited with my regular doctor and a GI. Neither of them have helped. My regular doctor told me I have an iron deficiency (which I never had), so I took an iron pill for a few months. The GI did the lactose intolerance breath test and performed an endoscopy. The test proved that I am not lactose intolerant and from the endoscopy he informed me that I have GERD and prescribed pantoprazole. I started taking the pantoprazole back in March and stopped in October once I read about the negative long-term side effects.

Just like Robert, I have GERD and experience bloating. Generally my bowels are good, but sometimes I can be constipated. Here is an overall list of everything I’ve been experiencing:
    -burping (a lot after meals)
    -bloating
    -I have gained a lot of weight and it’s hard for me to lose weight despite eating healthy and exercising
    -I’ve had toe nail fungus 3 times in the past few years, went to podiatrist over summer to cure (went on generic lamisil)
    -I always have beaus lines on my nails, probably from the iron deficiency?
    -anxiousness/depressed
    -trouble focusing
    -heartburn at random times…there’s no rhyme or reason to it…I get heartburn no matter what I eat, doesn’t matter if I eat something like plain chicken breast or ice cream

What’s odd is I hardly ever smell this “odor,” but there’s constant reminders that it’s there. I’ve been asked on multiple occasions by different people if I have passed gas. Most recently a coworker of mine came into my office to chat and as soon as they entered, they asked if I farted. At home, sometimes my husband will enter the room I’ve been in and will say something like, “it smell’s so bad in here, stop farting,” and I have to laugh and play it off like I have (but haven’t at all).

I just got over a cold, but I noticed a few things while I was sick. I noticed that the smell was much worse while I was sick (like a rotton-egg odor that could fill a big room). I took antibiotics and on day two, the odor was really bad. I was in a car with my mom, and she exclaimed that it smelled like something was dying. I tried to play it off like it was coming from outside, but I knew for sure it was me. After I was done with the antibiotics, for about 2 weeks, I had no reactions from anyone.

These stories sound funny, but they’re honestly a nightmare. There are days where I just want to crawl in a hole.

I noticed that the odor is much worse when I eat/drink certain things. These include: tea (especially dandelion root tea), ice cream, bananas, milk, kefir (store bought), lemon water, chocolates, sweets, cheese, wine/liquor (really embarrassing when I’m out with friends), beans (I had lentil soup for dinner one night – for that entire night and the next day my husband told me I had a smell following me).

I’m so sorry this post is so long, I just finally feel like I can relate to someone. I’ve felt so alone and lost for so, so long.

I’ve never been tested for SIBO, I never even heard of it. From all the researching I’ve done on the internet, I thought it could possibly be candida. I desperately wish I lived near your practice, I am out of state. Is there any way you can work with me remotely?

VL

Hi VL
    Just order the SIBO test kit directly from Genova. If positive, your primary care physician can treat it

21. VL says:

Thank you for the link. I will order it and will see what happens.

22. Maha says:

welcome . What are the results . I have the same problem . I suffered from it for 12years. I have question . does this problem appear suddenly and you haven’t a control or it is because some food . Thank you

23. Dr. R says:

Maha. Thank you for your comment. A more detailed reading of the blog and comments may answer your questions.

24. stan says:

Hi Dr. Great piece to read,i have recently developed this terrible breath, sometimes smells like feaces, it is coming from the stomach and through the nose i am taking antacids and it is not helping , how can i deal with it?

25. Dr. R says:

Stan. Please take a look at some of the comments and our replies for additional suggestions to assist you with this condition.

26. Christine says:

Hi I have this problem, is there a doctor I could see in my area? *pittsburgh* area.

27. Sol says:

I have had this problem for years. I am a professional and I see the reaction of horror on faces when I talk in meetings and the scramble to open windows. People come into my office and ask politely if they can open the window or leave the door ajar.

I knew I had bad breath problem but I just couldn’t tell what it smelled like. I once asked a colleague in confidence and he denied even though I saw how he squirmed sitting next to me in a meeting.

I made this new search after visiting an old friend and being her diplomatic self, she complained that her breath smelt like a sewer, I knew it was me. I will try this and see how it goes, I have absolutely nothing to loose.

28. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Christine – google the Institute for Functional Medicine to find like-minded clinicians.

Best to you!
    Dr M

29. jordan says:

Welcome . l am from Jordan . what is thr test that i should do. I went to many doctors here . they said no its from your head . and its a strange case . nothing like this . i suffered many years . i bought the medicine xifaxan. but i dont how to use . and because i am arab i cant understand exactly . and the translation of google is weak and doesnt give the exact translation . please if any body can help to understand. Thank you

30. maha says:

I have the exact problem . and i am taking xifaxan now . two tablets three times for two weeks . is this a long period or not . and is there any thing to take more ?

31. cliffmaurer says:

Many Xifaxan courses last longer than two weeks. Please check with your prescriber to see how long he or she intends to have you take the medication, and ask about what the next steps are if you’re not noticing a difference after that period of time.
    Best,
    Dr M

32. maha says:

Thank you doctor very much . you saved me . you helped me a lot .i don’t know how ithank you . I took Xifaxan and the problem finished . i took it for two weeks . i can’t believe . but i am afraid if this problem will come back. and what is the next step if there is any medicine to take. and what is the food to avoid .

33. Jake hash says:

I’ve been suffering with this same problem for about 7 years now. I really need a solution to this issue because it’s ruining my life. My breathe smells like an open sewer and it’s coming out of my nose also. People don’t tell me to my face but they laugh at be around the corner or cover their nose when they are passing by me. I need help ordering the SIBO test from Genova, can anyone please please help.

34. Dr. R says:

Google Genova Diagnostics and then search for SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) under the tab Search Diagnostic Tests. If your PCP won’t order the test, search “Find a Doctor” on that page for a physician in your location who will. Good luck.

35. maha says:

The problem returned to me . the open sewer smell suffering . what can i do?

Hi Maha
    SIBO has a very irritating habit of periodically returning. You may simply need retreatment

37. SS says:

Hi Dr E, I have somewhat similar problem of bad breath like sever & Fart. It all started with long gastric problem and irritable bowels which i ignored and later started to have metallic taste in my mouth. Now its been 5 years but i have no clue. Bad breadth is always there no matter whatsoever i eat. Its more when i have milk, tea, sweets, breads, jam,oily junk food, chicken, drinks, pulses, Cauliflower,cabbage, okra, beans etc..

My weight is over 100 Kg, i feel stressed due to this as somewhat feel disconnected socially as stress of embarrassment is always there. I have been diagnosed of fatty liver in past while getting my check up. other than that my dental & sinus is clear. Doctor while cleaning teeth told that i have some stomach problem which is causing bad breath.

I have reduced 10Kg weight but problem is still there. I now have more salads and fruits in diet. Stopped oily, sugar products.

Is there are natural diet to get rid of bad breadth problem.

Hope to hear soon

38. Dr. R says:

SS. You might find a doctor who understands functional and integrative medicine and is willing to test you for the conditions written about in the article, “My Breath Smells Like an Open Sewer”. Google the Institute for Functional Medicine and click on their “Find a Physician” link to find a like-minded doc in your area. Good luck.

39. Nana says:

Thank you sooo much Doc, i’ve been suffering from bad breath for 4 years now. I tried everything i could, when this started i went to the dentist and after being treated i was referred to an oral surgeon for surgical removal of wisdom teeths. After that the oral surgeon refereed me to the ent aas the condition didnt improve. The ent suggested tonsillectomy and i gave it a try (it never worked as well). i treated sinuses and went to the CT Scan and the study came back normal (no leaking fluid, everything was fine).
    I have an apointment with the gastro…specialist i will ask him about these tests.
    Its soo bad tgat i would sometimes think of taking my life (i’m alone ; cant associate my self with any1, my love-life is a nightmare, at work they even call me names and giigle everytime when i stand on my desk and when i go talk to them they cover their nose when i leave they start laughing) I sometimes feel like this is too much Bad breath for years…OMG Please help me this time

Hi Nana
    Just be sure you get tested for small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Likely the bad breath is coming from this and if you test positive, it is easy to treat
    Don’t give up!

41. Sphoia says:

i have a metallic taste in my mouth what could it be. If u can hlep me please.

Thank you.

42. Dr. R says:

Sphoia. The most common causes of a metallic taste in the mouth include poor oral hygiene, prescription medications, OTC vitamins/medications, upper respiratory infections, and chemical exposure. Check these out and then you may want to try some of the simple remedies that are in Dr. E’s article such as a digestive enzyme or take the article to your primary care physician to have some simple testing performed.

43. maha says:

Hi . lve used the xifaxan medicine for the sewer smell for once and the smell disappered then it returned back then i took this antibiotics for the second time without any result and the doctor said i should use another antibiotic . is it correct to use the same antibiotic for twice any why at first i had a result and the second time no result . what the the reason . and is there a hope to get rid from this smell forever without anyreturn or difficulty . i hope that

44. maha says:

Hi . the question is there a total solution for this problem . without return . the other question is why there are few people who suffers from this problem . not common

Hi Maha
    Actually it is quite common. The diagnostic test is new and now used by a lot of primary care physicians and often not covered by insurance.
    The symptoms return periodically in 20% of cases.
    Sometimes the antibiotic neomycin is used instead of xifaxan

46. Shelia says:

Yes I have the same issue but worse it smells like flatus. It comes from my nose and smells up the all room I can’t smell it.
    Please advise I can’t live like this. I’m in Houston can you recommend a doctor here

47. Dr. R says:

Hi Shelia. You might check out the “Find an Physician” on the Institute for Functional Medicine website. Good luck.

48. maha says:

Does this smell . the sewer. Spread suddenly or all the time

49. Dr. R says:

Hi maha. The smell may occur suddenly or gradually.

50. maha says:

Gradually means at the first time of appearance .
    Suddenly means through the disease ….?
    Can you give me any doctor’s name here in Jordan to help me get rid of the problem ,Please ?
    Because it is a strange and uncommon case . not easily diaognised .
    Thanks alot .

51. Paul Rubin says:

To maha. Sorry maha; we don’t have a referral for you in Jordan. You might check with the Institute for Functional Medicine’s website to find a doctor. Good luck.

52. Terry Campbell says:

I have been suffering with the sewer/faces smell from my nose and mouth for almost four decades. I have a history of chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis, IBS,and Gerd. I had sinus surgery and used several rinses for my nostrils. I used a NETI POT prescribed by the ENT. Nothing took the smell away. Fluid lodged in my ear and I discontinued the neti pot. The GI doctor did an endoscopy and said my throat was really red. I wear dentures and the smell gets on them. Sometimes I’m walking from one room to the other room at home and I smell this terrible odor only to find out it’s my breath. It’s worse now than ever because I can taste the faces smell in my mouth no matter how often I clean my dentures or clean my tongue and gums. It’s just nice to be able to talk to someone about this who understands. I’m in a training class and everyone tries to keep their distance from me when I talk. I dont blame them. I know they laugh and make horrible jokes about my breath and the smell coming from my nose. Please send me the link, I have tried everything, and I mean everything but to no avail. Thank you for listening.
    Terry

53. CJ says:

Hi to everyone in the comments,

I also suffer with the same symptoms and can relate to VL’s story the most.

Has anyone done the SIBO test and what were the results? If so were they positive and have got treatment which has worked?