Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and conditions, alternative therapies, nutrition, nutritional supplements, and much more. Acupuncture / Traditional Chinese Medicine Aging Allergies & Food Sensitivities Alternative Therapies Big Pharma Evils Bone Health Candida (Yeast) and Parasites Cardiovascular Health Case Studies Chiropractic & Physical Medicine Dermatology Digestion Diseases Ear, Nose & Throat Environmental Sensitivities Eye Care Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Fitness & Exercise Health Insurance Issues Healthy Lifestyle Immune System Inflammation Integrative Medicine Lyme Disease & Morgellons Men's Health Mental Health Nutrition, Nutritional Supplements, Vitamins, & Herbal Remedies Pain Management Sexual Health Thyroid, Adrenal, & Sex Hormone Issues Weight Issues Women's Health

Case Study: Hidden Food Sensitivities

Let me begin this case study health tip with some related background. Girding their corporate loins for the arrival of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the health insurance industry has taken some predictable steps to prepare for 35 million new enrollees, many of whom, having had no health care most of their lives, are probably not in the pink. One of the most disturbing of these industry maneuvers is to stop paying for tests, medications, and surgical procedures that were once routinely covered. The most common reason for denial is “unproven” or “experimental,” even for tests and therapies that have been around for decades.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the health insurance industry are far more intimate than most people realize. Each time the FDA approves a test or medication, your health insurance should cover it (though your insurer is still able to deny coverage). So it’s in the best financial interests of health insurers to keep tests unapproved and, in the case of medications, to push for them to be made available over the counter, where you can pick up the full tab. Medications, surgical appliances, and lab tests can take years to get FDA approval, and during this period the insurance industry can deny payment if your doctor orders them.

“Why aren’t these meds/tests approved?” you might reasonably ask. Because many are in the public domain and can’t be owned by a single company, thus blocking potential mega profits. Thus no company is inclined to pay the enormous sums required for the extensive application and testing process needed to garner FDA approval.

For example, this year women across the country who use bioidentical hormone therapy from compounding pharmacies discovered to their dismay that their insurers no longer covered it. Frantic calls to various pharmacies and insurance companies produced the non-answer “something to do with the FDA” or simply “we don’t know why.” The fact is that compounded hormones cost insurance companies too much money ($75 to $100 a month on average per patient) when compared to generic tablets of concentrated pregnant mare urine (Premarin and Prempro, imported from India @ $5 to $10 per 100 tablets).

Another example: after decades of reimbursing for food sensitivity testing, as of the first of this year Blue Cross and other insurers all decided that since the test had never undergone the FDA approval process, they could wiggle out of paying for it. The test itself, checking for sensitivities to 96 commonly eaten foods, costs about $350, but since a lot of doctors do use it the insurance industry spotted a quick way to save some money.

Food sensitivity case histories
As regular readers know, I’ve been mightily impressed by this test, especially for patients suffering a variety of chronic symptoms that have eluded the usual parade of conventional specialists. Let me share a few of these interesting cases, with names changed to ensure privacy. What’s truly shocking is that this simple test (a blood draw) could save insurers untold millions wasted in specialist visits, invasive diagnostic tests, and surgical procedures.

More eczema than child  One of my first patients with sensitivities was a five year-old-girl who scratched herself constantly and had to wear thick gloves to prevent her fingernails from opening up her blistering lesions. Her mother was frantic, carrying a bagful of creams and ointments from one dermatologist to the next. She’d resisted their suggestions that her daughter take oral steroids and immunosuppressive medications to quell the eczema. The child’s food sensitivity blood tests came back with very strong reactions to dairy. After total elimination of all dairy (both straight, like a glass of milk, and in cooking), her skin cleared completely in less than a month.

Heartburn hotel  Rachel, a lovely woman in her mid-20s, spent years in and out of gastroenterologists’ offices for her heartburn, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. She’d undergone repeated gastroscopies (I couldn’t imagine why she’d need more than one, but remember medical profits are procedure-driven), which confirmed esophageal irritation. Rachel’s symptoms did respond to proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) like Nexium, but she developed an unusual side effect to them–high blood pressure. Sensibly less than thrilled at the prospect of taking PPIs for the rest of her life, Rachel came to us and when we tested her she showed high reactions to both dairy and wheat. With complete elimination of both, one week later she told me she knew she was getting better. Within a month, Rachel was symptom-free and off PPIs permanently, her blood pressure falling into a comfortably normal range.

Chronically ill  Recently the 50ish Rob was referred to me for what could best be described as years-long poor health. His symptoms included chronic fatigue, brain fog, and joint and muscle pain. With a briefcase full of negative test results, he might have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia had not his food sensitivity profile demonstrated major reactions to gluten. Within a month of eating gluten-free, he was astonished by his return to robust health.

That’s not amore  Diane inadvertently revealed her diagnosis during her first visit. She’d made an appointment to discuss her chronic sinus congestion (and she did sound extremely congested when she spoke). Diane had already undergone two sinus surgeries, which provided temporary relief, but now she was back to square one. When I asked if she’d ever felt completely fine, she said “Definitely! When I was stationed in southeast Asia during my Peace Corps years.”

“And when did your symptoms return?” I asked.

“Literally on the way home. I spent a couple weeks in Italy and by time I got on the plane back to the US my sinuses were rock solid.”

Diane’s food sensitivity testing showed markedly positive reactions to gluten. When she lived in Southeast Asia, a rice-based culture, she’d eaten virtually no gluten-containing foods. But once in Italy, aching for huge plates of spaghetti Bolognese, Diane had fulfilled her craving with wheat-based pastas and all her symptoms returned.

One final and very ironic note on all this. If you actually call Blue Cross and say “My doctor would like to order food sensitivity testing. Is this covered by my policy?” chances are good a very pleasant customer service rep (and they’re really all quite nice on the phone) will tell you that, yes, it’s a “covered benefit.” Then, when you (or we) submit your claim, it’s denied.

“What?!” you sensibly scream.

You call them back, smoke pouring from your ears. This time, another rep will tell you “Oh, dear! I guess you haven’t read your policy. Having a covered benefit isn’t a guarantee of payment to your provider. We review these on a case-by-case basis and in your case, your covered benefit has been denied. We can fax you the Appeal Process (about six pages long), which includes the address of the Illinois Department of Insurance if you wish to register a complaint.”

The take-home message? If you sense that food sensitivity testing might be a next step in resolving your chronic symptoms, pay out-of-pocket for this valuable diagnostic test or try the DIY version.

1. stacy says:

Which food allergy test do u use?

Do u find the ALCAT to be accurate?

Does the pt need to repeat this test after a period of time, or are these results permanent?

Does the pt need to be exposed to the foods being tested? Ive been a gluten-free vegan for years, yet am still experiencing symptoms, despite eating NO gluten, dairy, soy, oats, nuts/seeds.

2. Lynne VandeBunte says:

Thing is we need a cure for this. Mere avoidance is not possible for me as I react to most everything including water, including reverse osmosis water (it’s the plastic mesh) . Avoidance is not possible. Where is the cure here…? Any ideas?

3. Lynne VandeBunte says:

I find many false negatives on all tests. You might try avoiding so called migraine trigger foods (google)…also foods containing lots of tyramine. These dont come up on the tests and I have to avoid fwiw…

They say all fructose (as in all fruit) difficult to digest if you have had any antibiotics. You might try avoiding all sugars and fruits. Difficult I know.

4. Don Schoenbeck says:

This is but another example of the detrimental role the risk avoidance industry (aka health insurance) occupies in our medical system.

5. Jill says:

Covered benefit not paid? Is it just me this sounds like doubletalk?
    Everyone pays for some sort of coverage, but insurance companies don’t have to pay out for anything. Sounds like a shell game to me.

6. Addie says:

Another reason for a single payer system. When that comes about, watch the insurance companies scream. They, like public utilities, create the need for regulation, then cry like babies because their greedy CEOs are short a dime.

7. Jennifer says:

My experience having taken the ALCAT is that you can heal sensitivities and they can change. I took it a few years ago and chicken was one of only three things that I was found “highly sensitive” to. I eat chicken all the time now. It turns out most of my troubles were due to leaky gut and candida, and a couple other things. I’m in the process of completing healing that with a fabulous nutritionist. She uncovered it all. You can google Christa San Diego nutritionist and find her. Good luck!

To Stacy
    ELISA
    I have never used ALCAT because (1) it is very expensive; (2) insurance companies have never allowed it

Lynne
    You might try either homeopathy or NAET for your extreme sensitivity

Jill
    Shell game is a great metaphor for what’s going on!

Stacy
    Avoidance can ultimately cure food sensitivities. Usually takes about nine months and then return foods slowly in a rotational basis. Most people with sensitivities needn’t stay away from them forever

12. Lynne VandeBunte says:

Cannot avoid foods I am sensitive to, as I react to almost everything–including most water!. Staying away does not cure most of my sensitivities. I need something which addresses the root of the problem..

Know of anything. Mere avoidance does not work. NAET does not work

13. Lynne VandeBunte says:

I have tried NAET about 50 times with 3 different skilled practitioners. It does not work for me. fwiw

Impossible for me to be socially with friends if eating or drinking is involved…

14. stacy says:

Lynne- im in the same boat as u. I tried NAET with several practitioners too…and the only thing that went away was my $. It is such a hoax, and im pretty open about those kinds of things. Major disapointment. Muscle testing is very inaccurate for me too….idk how it works for other people. Dr E, any insight into this?

**Join us for a demonstration of Taoist Tai Chi® internal arts of health
Saturday, August 26th at 11:00AM – 12:00PM
There is no fee for this program
WholeHealth Chicago
2265 North Clybourn Ave.
773-296-6700

This demonstration of Taoist Tai Chi® arts will give you an opportunity to learn more about this ancient path to good health of body and mind. Taoist Tai Chi® arts help to promote a healthy, balanced life style and a simple way to manage stress. Taoist Tai Chi® arts offers a chance to discover a powerful adaptable, and accessible tool for all ages, including seniors, and people with specific health concerns. These arts can be used to help people take responsibility for their health on its own or as a complement to medical treatment they may be receiving.

**Facial Rejuvenation Guasha Class
The Ultimate DIY Anti-Aging Facial!

With Mari Stecker, LAc
Thursday September 21, 2017, 6:30-8PM, $65 course fee

Join us and learn a traditional Chinese facial rejuvenation technique that you can do yourself! Guasha treatment is a 2,000 year old Chinese massage technique that uses a flat tool to apply pressure to the skin to increase circulation as it moves along acupuncture channels.

Facial guasha is an easy to learn technique that:
* encourages blood flow and promotes radiance
* prevents wrinkles
* activates cells to regain facial elasticity
* drains fluids to detoxify skin and reduce puffiness
* sloughs off dead skin cells
* uplifts and tones skin
* firms up facial muscles
* minimizes dark circles
* promotes a healthy, younger and more radiant look

Register online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

**Vaginal Rejuvenation
October 12th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm  Fee: $65
With Mari Stecker, LAc & Renee Zambo, RYT

Are you experiencing vaginal dryness? Or pain with intercourse? Have you been told you have vaginal atrophy due to menopauseAre you frustrated because you believe your sex life is overWell, it doesn’t have to be!

Come learn easy, non-pharmaceutical, non-hormonal, low cost techniques that you can do at home to help alleviate vaginal dryness, atrophy, thinning of vaginal skin and/or painful intercourse.

This class is appropriate for any woman who is experiencing discomfort during intercourse, pelvic exams or daily activities due to vaginal dryness and atrophy as well as women who are experiencing vaginal changes due to perimenopause, menopause, cancer treatments, hysterectomy or medications.

This class will include information on specific instructions for self-treatments that can be done at home as well as yoga postures and meditation that focus on the pelvic region.

Movement and breath will draw awareness to the pelvic floor, and facilitate both the full relaxation and activation of pelvic floor muscles. A short guided meditation will reconnect awareness to the feminine energy held within the pelvis.

Register on-line or by calling (773) 296-6700.

• Women and ADHD, Part 2: Can I Treat This Without Meds?

“I lose my keys endlessly. I pay big bucks in unnecessary late fees on bills that I put down somewhere and just forget about. After I finished college, I never read another book–it was just too much work. I can cope with a magazine article, …Read More »
  • Women and ADHD, Part 1

Already ten minutes late for her first appointment, Claire phoned from her car that she’d be in the office in five minutes. Fifteen minutes later, arriving flustered and embarrassed, she blurted “Oh my gosh, I left all the forms on my kitchen table, but I …Read More »

August Sale: 20% Off All Hyland Homeopathic Products

Hyland’s has been trusted for generations to provide safe, effective, homeopathic medicines for every member of the family.  Take 20% off these products during August.  Read more>>