On Good Bacteria, Enemas, And Your Health

In certain cultures, like middle class Jews growing up in Hyde Park in the 1950s, everyone remembers being chased through their home by a well-meaning mom armed with an enema bag. “Dr. Nachman said you needed this for a poopy!”

I am tearful, dressed only in whity-tighties until caught in the steel grip of my father, probably grateful he wasn’t next on the list.  I lose the battle, but since I’m right at Sigmund Freud’s anal stage of development, I probably lay still and rather enjoyed the experience. I simply don’t remember, which is just what Freud expected.

Decades later, when I was establishing what would ultimately become WholeHealth Chicago, I sampled just about every form of alternative therapy available at the time. During my encounter with colon therapy, comfortably lying on my side, a hose snaking upward from an irrigating pump, my tummy being gently massaged by my therapist, I thought…of mom.

Probiotic enemas
When I first encountered the research into using enemas containing probiotics, the whole thing made a lot of sense. With an enema, you’re simply inserting water into your rectum to clean it. A probiotic enema adds a small amount of powdered probiotic to the water. There are a lot of DIYs online, but here’s a good one.

Until recently, conventional medicine paid virtually no attention to the concept of good bacteria—probiotics—focusing its narrow-minded thinking solely on bad bacteria as the cause of most illnesses, battling them with the single tool in its arsenal: antibiotics.

Good-guy probiotics were highly suspect by MDs, since they were found in health food stores and the offices of clinical nutritionists, chiropractors, and naturopaths. Imbalances of intestinal bacteria (called intestinal dysbiosis) were so foreign to the conventional health care system that to this day, if a physician orders a test looking specifically for dysbiosis many health insurance providers will deny coverage, claiming it’s an unproven condition.

Our understanding of intestinal dysbiosis has changed dramatically over the past decade despite the deliberate reluctance of the insurance industry to keep abreast with the times. Read this piece for a solid overview. Scientists ultimately calculated the following, which still feels a little sci-fi to many of us:

• There are 100 trillion bacteria (approximately 3 pounds!) in our intestines.
  • Bacteria represent from 1% to 3% of our entire body mass.
  • In terms of numbers, we carry ten times as many bacterial cells as human cells, each with its own genetics and metabolic system.

They named this living creature the gut microbiome. And when scientists recognized how many areas of the body were affected by it, they began to consider it a nearly separate functioning organ within the body.

Microbiome bacterial mix
A poor mix of bacteria in your microbiome can increase your risk for a diverse selection of conditions, including:

• Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, Type 1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis.
  • Susceptibility to intestinal inflammation (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s) and colon cancer. Some gastroenterologists are treating these conditions by giving enemas containing stool material from a healthy donor, a process called a fecal transplant. If your doc recommends one, consider a DIY approach to save yourself $10K.
  • Lyme Disease.  Our physicians recommend a low-volume retention enema using an extremely high-potency, prescription-only probiotic containing nearly a trillion bacteria.

Testing the status of your gut microbiome
Currently the best test available (and at least partially covered by most insurance companies) is the GI Effects Comprehensive Stool Profile by Genova Diagnostics. WholeHealth Chicago patients can discuss this test with their physician, chiropractor, or any of our nutritionists and we can order the kit for you. If you’re not a WHC patient, your doctor can order it or you can contact Genova directly.

If your test results show that your gut microbiome is a train wreck, our nutritionists will guide you through the process of making it healthful again. We can even teach you how to self-administer your own probiotic enema so you won’t have to call your mother. My mother is, well, unavailable.

1. Deb S says:

You are absolutely correct. I recently had the Genova GI Effects test which showed gut dysbiosis, a low level of short chain fatty acids, etc. I have started on a program to heal this and have made great strides. However, the insurance company refused to pay for the Genova lab test. I know they would have happily paid for a colonscopy, lower GI, and CT scan, all of which I had done seven years prior for the same (lingering symptoms) and would have had to repeat if I didn’t opt for the Genova test. The insurance companies are so short sighted, preferring to spend more in the long run.

2. Evie says:

Maybe it was because I grew up Catholic, in a large family of nine children, we were lined up and given Fletcher’s Castoria. It was only when mom (an R.N.) brought out the pan of boiling water to sterilize the needle for our annual flu shots, did we all run and hide. We actually got to like the taste of that castor oil!
    Great columns that you write, Dr. Edelberg. I still say you are brilliant! A genius!

3. Tara Drolma says:

This is a very timely article and I applaud your open mindedness. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Irritable bowel. My stomach problems became so intense over the past few months that I have completely given up all grains and gone on a low carb/ketogenic diet. I no longer have problems with my stomach. Dr. Myhill, an English physician suggests a “paleo” or stone age diet for her CFS patients. She has a good explanation of how our gut works on her website. She claims, “the upper gut is a near-sterile, digesting carnivorous gut (like a dog’s or a cat’s) evolved to deal with meat and fat, whilst the lower gut (large bowel or colon) is full of bacteria and is a fermenting, vegetarian gut (like a horse’s or cow’s) evolved to digest vegetables and fibre.” I am not sure if this is true and I have never been tested for gut disbiosis, but my stomach problems are gone as long as I follow this diet. The CFS seems a bit better, but it is still a problem. You can find more info at her website under Fermentation of the gut and CFS.

4. Sandy Kurtz says:

What do you think of Optimum Health Institute in San Diego?

I go and get colonics with wheat grass implants.
    I found your comments on probiotics very informative.
    My best,
    Sandy Kurtz

Hi Evie
    I am sure you’ll be delighted to learn that Fletcher’s is still available, renamed as Fletcher’s Laxative for Kids. You can get it on amazon
    Hi Sandy
    Optimum Health is an excellent SanDiego resource for you

6. sara says:

Am interested in learning how to give myself probiotic enema.

Do you provide this service. If so, I will schedule an appointment. Although I live in Virginia.

Thanks,

Sara

7. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Sara – Dr. Kelley tends to be our office expert on this subject. She can help you decide what probiotic would be appropriate based on your health concerns. If you’re able to travel to us, feel free to call our front desk at 773-296-6700 to schedule a visit.

All the best,
    Dr M

8. Colette says:

My son is struggling with Crohn’s and would like to try the probiotic enemas if they will help. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Colette

Hi Collette
    Probiotic enemas would not be dangerous and may be useful for a Crohns patient
    You can read plenty of articles online about fecal transplants and Crohns

10. Gator says:

I recently started doing basic probiotic enemas as rec. by my M.D. This is to address inflammation/autoimmune disease NOT constipation, as I go 2-3 times per day already. I am having trouble getting much of the soluion to go in even after having 1 or more BMs for the day. What can I do to improve this and help with retention when more does go in?
    Thanks!

11. Dr. R says:

Gator. It is probably best to perform your probiotic enema in the morning. Mix the probiotic solution the night before and let it remain at room temperature. Hold the enema for 15 minutes, if possible. You may feel an intense need to evacuate your bowels before the 15 minutes is up. Pay attention to your body’s signals and evacuate when it feels appropriate. Warnings: Speak with your doctor before performing a probiotic enema, especially if you have a digestive or intestinal condition. Do not perform an enema if you have a ulcerative colon or gallstones.

12. Nema Nyar says:

Hi Gator:

I was not able to get my first enemas in until I shifted my position (laying on the left side, I shifted my right hip more forward). For some reason, that did the trick

13. Paul lancor says:

Very helpful explains alot thank you

14. Shannon Smith says:

Can you recommend a place where I can get a probiotic enema?

15. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Shannon – Typically we teach patients to administer these to themselves as they are easy to do on your own. Are you in the Chicagoland area?
    -Dr M

16. Jamie says:

What is the probiotic prescription name recommended for Lyme with a trillion good bacteria? Have an appt w/ llmd this week & want to request it asap Thank you

Hi James
    VSL 3-DS (requires a prescription)

18. Eric Banton says:

Hi Dave,
    I loved the article. Esp. The opening paras – made me giggle. As a Hackney man of West Indian parentage I endured similar remedies which later have been shown to bare scientific proof.
    I am aggressively trying to cure/significantly abate my MS starting this weekend with probiotic enema and a 24 hour fast followed by a week of healthy eating as recommended by Dr Perlmutter (Brain Maker).
    Thanks for the advice thus far. Any further advice, greatly appreciated.

19. Jonathan Darville says:

How often and for how long do you recommend doing the probiotic enema for leaky gut and Lyme?

Will a non-prescription high dose therapeutic grade probiotic work as well?

Hi Jonathan
    ProBioMax by Xymogen is a high potency probiotic. I would suggest weekly, for eight weeks

21. Robin says:

Hi, I’m being treated by a doctor who specializes in detox. I have a severe case of Candida overgrowth. I’m also being treated for liver detoxification. The Candida messed up my BM’s for a long time, so I’ve been reabsorbing so many toxins. It took 7 colonics before we no. longer saw thick, dark colored mustard looking bile being removed during those colonics. I have skin rashes that are beyond itchy. Before all the bile was removed, my skin was on fire and blistering. The doctor told me I was on my way to liver failure. On days I do not have anti oxidant IV drips and colonics, I have to do organic coffee enemas. I am interested in doing here probiotic enemas. I live in FL, so I was hoping I could obtain info via phone on how to do these and what I need to use. I’m currently taking a 15 strain, 90 billion Probiotic orally. Thx, Robin

22. Dr. R says:

Hi Robin. It’s probably best to work with a local provider. You might try the Institute of Functional Medicine. https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117

**Functional Sport Nutrition: Decoding Your Personalized Path to Wellness and Optimal Performance
Olivia Wagner
Thursday July 19, 6:00 – 7:30pm
Fee: $35

Planning to run a 5 or 10k this summer? Are you training for a marathon? Want to improve your energy and performance at the gym or in a favorite sport?

Just as each individual responds differently to training, each person requires individual nutrition approaches.

In this work shop you will learn real-food nutrition strategies and functional medicine tools to support.

Please register online or by calling (773) 296-6700

**Shamanic Gathering: The Power of Summer as an Ally for Healing
Katie Oberlin, HTCP

Thursday August 9, 2018, 6-7:30pm
Group Session – $55 registration

From a shamanic perspective, the South is related to Summer, midday, a time of power and activity, and supported by the Earth element as a container for our lives.

Learn how to work with these energies to support your intentions for healing and living in alignment with your life purpose.

Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
Please register online or by calling the Center at (773) 296-6700

• Revealed: Why Susan Can’t Lose Weight

Susan sat across from me and I could see her chin quivering as she tried to hold back the tears. “I am trying so hard to lose weight, doctor! Look at my diet diary. I’m at the gym almost every day. My thyroid numbers are perfect. And so what happens? This past month I actually gained three more pounds!” Having battled weight issues myself since Read More

• Ten Drugs Doctors Should Consider De-Prescribing

Physicians use the word polypharmacy when a patient is taking five or more prescription drugs daily. A recent survey showed that half of women Medicare recipients were taking five or more drugs daily, and 12% of them were taking ten (!) or more. New patients frequently arrive at WholeHealth Chicago carrying bags stuffed like piñatas with prescription drugs and nutritional supplements, the latter recommended by Read More

• When Your Thyroid Medication Isn’t Working

Let’s start with two thyroid facts:  The diagnosis of hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone) is missed by most physicians.Patients arrive with obvious symptoms of hypothyroidism every doctor learned in medical school, among them sensitivity to cold, weight gain, dry skin, fatigue, and constipation. The doctor listens, sometimes attentively, and then orders a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood test. TSH does not come from the thyroid itself, Read More

July Sale: 20% off Curcumin Supplements

Turmeric extracts and curcumin products are popular and potent anti-inflammatory supplements. For the month of July, both Theracurmin HP and CurcuPlex-95 are 20% off in the Apothecary.

As always, we recommend you check with a physician before beginning any new supplement. Because curcumin is contraindicated in several conditions, please consult with a healthcare professional before adding this to your regimen. More>>