On Good Bacteria, Enemas, And Your Health

In certain cultures, like middle class Jews growing up in Hyde Park in the 1950s, everyone remembers being chased through their home by a well-meaning mom armed with an enema bag. “Dr. Nachman said you needed this for a poopy!”

I am tearful, dressed only in whity-tighties until caught in the steel grip of my father, probably grateful he wasn’t next on the list.  I lose the battle, but since I’m right at Sigmund Freud’s anal stage of development, I probably lay still and rather enjoyed the experience. I simply don’t remember, which is just what Freud expected.

Decades later, when I was establishing what would ultimately become WholeHealth Chicago, I sampled just about every form of alternative therapy available at the time. During my encounter with colon therapy, comfortably lying on my side, a hose snaking upward from an irrigating pump, my tummy being gently massaged by my therapist, I thought…of mom.

Probiotic enemas
When I first encountered the research into using enemas containing probiotics, the whole thing made a lot of sense. With an enema, you’re simply inserting water into your rectum to clean it. A probiotic enema adds a small amount of powdered probiotic to the water. There are a lot of DIYs online, but here’s a good one.

Until recently, conventional medicine paid virtually no attention to the concept of good bacteria—probiotics—focusing its narrow-minded thinking solely on bad bacteria as the cause of most illnesses, battling them with the single tool in its arsenal: antibiotics.

Good-guy probiotics were highly suspect by MDs, since they were found in health food stores and the offices of clinical nutritionists, chiropractors, and naturopaths. Imbalances of intestinal bacteria (called intestinal dysbiosis) were so foreign to the conventional health care system that to this day, if a physician orders a test looking specifically for dysbiosis many health insurance providers will deny coverage, claiming it’s an unproven condition.

Our understanding of intestinal dysbiosis has changed dramatically over the past decade despite the deliberate reluctance of the insurance industry to keep abreast with the times. Read this piece for a solid overview. Scientists ultimately calculated the following, which still feels a little sci-fi to many of us:

• There are 100 trillion bacteria (approximately 3 pounds!) in our intestines.
  • Bacteria represent from 1% to 3% of our entire body mass.
  • In terms of numbers, we carry ten times as many bacterial cells as human cells, each with its own genetics and metabolic system.

They named this living creature the gut microbiome. And when scientists recognized how many areas of the body were affected by it, they began to consider it a nearly separate functioning organ within the body.

Microbiome bacterial mix
A poor mix of bacteria in your microbiome can increase your risk for a diverse selection of conditions, including:

• Autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, Type 1 diabetes, and multiple sclerosis.
  • Susceptibility to intestinal inflammation (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s) and colon cancer. Some gastroenterologists are treating these conditions by giving enemas containing stool material from a healthy donor, a process called a fecal transplant. If your doc recommends one, consider a DIY approach to save yourself $10K.
  • Lyme Disease.  Our physicians recommend a low-volume retention enema using an extremely high-potency, prescription-only probiotic containing nearly a trillion bacteria.

Testing the status of your gut microbiome
Currently the best test available (and at least partially covered by most insurance companies) is the GI Effects Comprehensive Stool Profile by Genova Diagnostics. WholeHealth Chicago patients can discuss this test with their physician, chiropractor, or any of our nutritionists and we can order the kit for you. If you’re not a WHC patient, your doctor can order it or you can contact Genova directly.

If your test results show that your gut microbiome is a train wreck, our nutritionists will guide you through the process of making it healthful again. We can even teach you how to self-administer your own probiotic enema so you won’t have to call your mother. My mother is, well, unavailable.

1. Deb S says:

You are absolutely correct. I recently had the Genova GI Effects test which showed gut dysbiosis, a low level of short chain fatty acids, etc. I have started on a program to heal this and have made great strides. However, the insurance company refused to pay for the Genova lab test. I know they would have happily paid for a colonscopy, lower GI, and CT scan, all of which I had done seven years prior for the same (lingering symptoms) and would have had to repeat if I didn’t opt for the Genova test. The insurance companies are so short sighted, preferring to spend more in the long run.

2. Evie says:

Maybe it was because I grew up Catholic, in a large family of nine children, we were lined up and given Fletcher’s Castoria. It was only when mom (an R.N.) brought out the pan of boiling water to sterilize the needle for our annual flu shots, did we all run and hide. We actually got to like the taste of that castor oil!
    Great columns that you write, Dr. Edelberg. I still say you are brilliant! A genius!

3. Tara Drolma says:

This is a very timely article and I applaud your open mindedness. I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Irritable bowel. My stomach problems became so intense over the past few months that I have completely given up all grains and gone on a low carb/ketogenic diet. I no longer have problems with my stomach. Dr. Myhill, an English physician suggests a “paleo” or stone age diet for her CFS patients. She has a good explanation of how our gut works on her website. She claims, “the upper gut is a near-sterile, digesting carnivorous gut (like a dog’s or a cat’s) evolved to deal with meat and fat, whilst the lower gut (large bowel or colon) is full of bacteria and is a fermenting, vegetarian gut (like a horse’s or cow’s) evolved to digest vegetables and fibre.” I am not sure if this is true and I have never been tested for gut disbiosis, but my stomach problems are gone as long as I follow this diet. The CFS seems a bit better, but it is still a problem. You can find more info at her website under Fermentation of the gut and CFS.

4. Sandy Kurtz says:

What do you think of Optimum Health Institute in San Diego?

I go and get colonics with wheat grass implants.
    I found your comments on probiotics very informative.
    My best,
    Sandy Kurtz

Hi Evie
    I am sure you’ll be delighted to learn that Fletcher’s is still available, renamed as Fletcher’s Laxative for Kids. You can get it on amazon
    Hi Sandy
    Optimum Health is an excellent SanDiego resource for you

6. sara says:

Am interested in learning how to give myself probiotic enema.

Do you provide this service. If so, I will schedule an appointment. Although I live in Virginia.

Thanks,

Sara

7. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Sara – Dr. Kelley tends to be our office expert on this subject. She can help you decide what probiotic would be appropriate based on your health concerns. If you’re able to travel to us, feel free to call our front desk at 773-296-6700 to schedule a visit.

All the best,
    Dr M

8. Colette says:

My son is struggling with Crohn’s and would like to try the probiotic enemas if they will help. Any guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Colette

Hi Collette
    Probiotic enemas would not be dangerous and may be useful for a Crohns patient
    You can read plenty of articles online about fecal transplants and Crohns

10. Gator says:

I recently started doing basic probiotic enemas as rec. by my M.D. This is to address inflammation/autoimmune disease NOT constipation, as I go 2-3 times per day already. I am having trouble getting much of the soluion to go in even after having 1 or more BMs for the day. What can I do to improve this and help with retention when more does go in?
    Thanks!

11. Dr. R says:

Gator. It is probably best to perform your probiotic enema in the morning. Mix the probiotic solution the night before and let it remain at room temperature. Hold the enema for 15 minutes, if possible. You may feel an intense need to evacuate your bowels before the 15 minutes is up. Pay attention to your body’s signals and evacuate when it feels appropriate. Warnings: Speak with your doctor before performing a probiotic enema, especially if you have a digestive or intestinal condition. Do not perform an enema if you have a ulcerative colon or gallstones.

12. Nema Nyar says:

Hi Gator:

I was not able to get my first enemas in until I shifted my position (laying on the left side, I shifted my right hip more forward). For some reason, that did the trick

13. Paul lancor says:

Very helpful explains alot thank you

14. Shannon Smith says:

Can you recommend a place where I can get a probiotic enema?

15. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Shannon – Typically we teach patients to administer these to themselves as they are easy to do on your own. Are you in the Chicagoland area?
    -Dr M

16. Jamie says:

What is the probiotic prescription name recommended for Lyme with a trillion good bacteria? Have an appt w/ llmd this week & want to request it asap Thank you

Hi James
    VSL 3-DS (requires a prescription)

18. Eric Banton says:

Hi Dave,
    I loved the article. Esp. The opening paras – made me giggle. As a Hackney man of West Indian parentage I endured similar remedies which later have been shown to bare scientific proof.
    I am aggressively trying to cure/significantly abate my MS starting this weekend with probiotic enema and a 24 hour fast followed by a week of healthy eating as recommended by Dr Perlmutter (Brain Maker).
    Thanks for the advice thus far. Any further advice, greatly appreciated.

19. Jonathan Darville says:

How often and for how long do you recommend doing the probiotic enema for leaky gut and Lyme?

Will a non-prescription high dose therapeutic grade probiotic work as well?

Hi Jonathan
    ProBioMax by Xymogen is a high potency probiotic. I would suggest weekly, for eight weeks

21. Robin says:

Hi, I’m being treated by a doctor who specializes in detox. I have a severe case of Candida overgrowth. I’m also being treated for liver detoxification. The Candida messed up my BM’s for a long time, so I’ve been reabsorbing so many toxins. It took 7 colonics before we no. longer saw thick, dark colored mustard looking bile being removed during those colonics. I have skin rashes that are beyond itchy. Before all the bile was removed, my skin was on fire and blistering. The doctor told me I was on my way to liver failure. On days I do not have anti oxidant IV drips and colonics, I have to do organic coffee enemas. I am interested in doing here probiotic enemas. I live in FL, so I was hoping I could obtain info via phone on how to do these and what I need to use. I’m currently taking a 15 strain, 90 billion Probiotic orally. Thx, Robin

22. Dr. R says:

Hi Robin. It’s probably best to work with a local provider. You might try the Institute of Functional Medicine. https://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117

23. Susanne Harris says:

I have severe gut problems… Chronic constipation for years… Was recently treated in the hospital with anabiotic‘s for diverticulitis… After a day and a half I woke up from a nap in a complete anxiety and panic meltdown. Probiotics give me to match gut pain..Can you help me

24. Dr. R says:

Hi Susanne. Much more information is required to assist you. We’d recommend meeting with a functional medicine physician; someone to really investigate the underlying causes of your GI issues. If you are local to the Chicagoland area, please contact our Center at 773-296-6700. Otherwise, take a look at the Institute of Functional Medicine’s website to locate a physician near you. Good luck.

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

***WholeHealth for Winter Digestion
Saturday December 1, 2018, 10:30am-12:30pm
An Integrative Workshop with Yoga Therapist Renee Zambo, Dietitian Olivia Wagner, and Occupational Therapist Valarie McConville
Fee: $75.00 (includes take home materials and snacks)

Do you suffer from a sluggish digestive system, constipation, and/or bloating? Does it feel like those symptoms get worse as we head toward the holidays and winter season?  Are you looking for ways to optimize your digestion?

Join us for two valuable hours of digestive health and cleansing!

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

***Healing Touch for Focus, Creativity, and Stress Management
Thursday, December 6, 2018, 5:45-7:30
Katie Oberlin, HTCP/I
Healing Touch Certified Practitioner/Instructor
Fee: $55.00 (includes take-home materials)

Are you feeling overwhelmed and stressed at the end of the year? Want to find a way to feel less scattered and more focused? In this workshop, you will learn how to use energy healing to feel more centered and grounded so you can bring more clarity and creativity to your life and work.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

**Winter Solstice Celebration: Drumming Circle and Shamanic Healing
Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 5:45-7:30pm
Katie OberlinHTCP/I
Healing Touch Certified Practitioner/Instructor
Fee: $55.00

Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season to enter the stillpoint of the Winter Solstice, reflect on the lessons of 2018, and set intentions for the new year. This will be an evening of individual and group healing, ceremony, and celebration.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

• Making Sense of “Controversial” Diagnoses

I’m warning you in advance. You’re entering a minefield here, with explosive views among seemingly conservative health care professionals. At least wear a helmet. Protective eyewear wouldn’t hurt either. You wouldn’t think a slew of conditions you’ve heard about (including chronic Lyme disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, chronic Epstein-Barr, toxic mold syndrome, food sensitivities, intestinal dysbiosis, chronic inflammatory response syndrome, and mast cell activation syndrome) Read More

• Getting Tough With Your Immune System

No reasonable physician (I modestly include myself here) can refrain from crowing delightedly when a clinical study confirms the value of a treatment he or she had been using for years, even if that treatment had contradicted prevailing standards. Ever since I learned something about natural medicine, I’ve been reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for respiratory tract infections, such as colds, sore throats, and bronchitis. Many physicians had Read More

• For A Longer Life…Stand Up Now!

By far the most common answer to my question, “Exercising these days?” is “Not enough.” This is usually accompanied by the briefest flicker of melancholy regret, as if by such a confession my patient has permanently abandoned the hopes and dreams of both a svelte body and enviable longevity. “Don’t worry,” I say, “It’s just a temporary glitch. You’ll start up again.” (Nod, nod). I Read More

December Sale: 20% Off the UltraLux IV Light Box

Full Spectrum Solutions has been an industry leader for the past 20 years, offering therapeutic lighting that is made right here in the Midwest (Michigan). The UltraLux IV is the first and only LED light therapy unit on the market that is both fully adjustable. Unlike many of their competitors, they boast a high CRI rating (90+) and a lifetime warranty so you never have to purchase replacement bulbs again. Full spectrum light therapy is often recommended in cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to help make up for the sunlight that is missing from these shorter, winter days.

To learn more about and purchase the UltraLux IV, click here.

To see past Health Tips on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and Dr. Edelberg’s recommendations, including a full spectrum light box like the UltraLux IV, click here.