Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and ailments, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more. Please mouse over the letters to get started. We hope you enjoy browsing.

The Extraordinarily Persistent Patient

Posted 08/16/2011

Despite my admonishments to stay well if you want to avoid the multifarious problems of our health care system, sometimes–and through no fault of your own–you’ll get sick.

Your best chance of emerging unscathed from whatever ails you is having what’s called a “self-limiting condition,” namely, one that goes away by itself, with or without doctoring. With any condition that brings the phrase “if symptoms persist, see your doctor” to mind, well, best of luck. Most of the time, the gods will be on your side, your doctor will figure out what’s wrong, and you’ll do just fine.

But here’s the story of a woman with persistent symptoms who saw not one doctor, but at least ten over six long years. Some of her docs came from the best medical centers in town, others were what might be called “alternative.” Finally, getting nowhere, she took matters into her own hands. And that’s really what this story is all about.

Alison is in her fifties, very bright, and until six years ago quite healthy. It was specifically during one week in 2005 when she and her husband were vacationing in Mexico that both of them suddenly became ill. He had the fairly standard turista and recovered with antibiotics, but her symptoms were different. She initially experienced a sudden onset of severe nausea, dizziness, and profound exhaustion, and the first time this happened actually blacked out. Alison and her husband returned to the US and from that week forward her health was never the same again.

Although Alison felt guardedly better on her return, she began to experience peculiar week-long episodes of just feeling very ill: nausea, dizziness, and weakness, all severe enough to send this usually active woman to bed for a week. Then she’d recover enough to return to work. “Recover enough” means never really feeling well, however. And a few weeks later, another episode, another week in bed.

Alison’s primary care HMO physician could find nothing wrong with her, even though she returned multiple times.

“I couldn’t get them to order more tests,” she told me, “but I knew something was wrong. I felt like I was pounding on their door to let me in, with no response. I knew they just didn’t want to see me anymore.” (This image, by the way, can be found in Franz Kafka’s novel The Trial.)

After two years (two years!) of this, Alison’s symptoms began to change for the worse. Now an episode was accompanied by stomach cramps and watery diarrhea. And still her HMO physician had no suggestions—not a diet change, anti-diarrhea medication, nothing. Then one day the episodes stopped being episodes, and instead her diarrhea was non-stop. Seriously weakened by days and days of watery stools, Alison changed medical centers and went to their emergency room. It was obvious she was extremely dehydrated, and she was admitted for intravenous fluids and antibiotics.

“Unfortunately, I arrived at the beginning of a three-day weekend. They sort of forgot about me and by Sunday they were treating me for getting too much fluid. I was literally drowning.”

Finally, still in the hospital, Alison was seen by a gastroenterologist, had a colonoscopy, and was told she had a form of ulcerative colitis. She was started on steroid drugs, discharged, and actually felt guardedly better for a while, though never fully well. Alison herself doubted the diagnosis, however, and after weeks of taking steroids decided to see a different gastroenterologist at a different medical center for a second opinion.

He didn’t believe she had ulcerative colitis, but rather celiac disease. She was advised to stop the steroids and also stop eating all gluten. Again she felt a little better, but knew she wasn’t out of the woods.

Something still wasn’t right.

Alison gives up on conventional medicine
When despite cutting out gluten her symptoms escalated again, Alison was told to restart the steroid drugs. This is the point, she told me, at which she gave up on conventional medicine, deciding to try her luck with traditional Chinese medicine, Ayurvedic medicine, and nutritionists.

And still no progress.

Then, on her own, Alison began reading about intestinal parasites, on her own ordering a parasite testing kit. Each of the three stool specimens she submitted showed a large number of a parasite called blastocystis hominis. Delighted to finally have discovered her problem, she took the results to her gastroenterologist, who promptly disparaged the whole issue of self-diagnosis and the non-hospital lab she’d used, shrugging off the report and its conclusion. (He may have even tested Alison’s stools and identified the same parasite but…see #3 below for more on that).

After some online searching, Alison located an MD parasitologist in the UK and arranged a Skype consultation. Based on her test results, he completely agreed with her diagnosis, saying that of course she’d acquired it on her trip to Mexico and that he’d send a list of the prescription drugs she needed to clear the infection. Because he wasn’t licensed in the US, he couldn’t prescribe the meds himself, advising Alison to give the medication list to her own doctor. The UK parasitologist even added the name of the compounding pharmacy he most trusted to prepare his anti-parasite mix, a combination of three prescription medications taken together over a period of ten days.

Not wanting to go back to either of her gastroenterologists, Alison located a sympathetic physician who retested her from a second parasitology lab. And again all three specimens show heavy amounts of blastocystis hominis. This physician, however, was reluctant to prescribe the UK medication combo because one of the three drugs wasn’t FDA-approved for parasites. Instead, this doctor prescribed a standard blastocystis treatment, which the UK physician had already warned Alison “wouldn’t work, not strong enough.”

He was right. It didn’t.

Alison makes her way to WholeHealth Chicago
At this point, Alison scheduled a visit with us. I admit that as I sat listening, utterly enthralled by her six-year quest to get well, from her first sentence I had a clear sense of what she was going to say based on three facts:

#1  If you’re healthy and you visit a developing or newly industrialized country (such as Mexico), become ill there, and can’t get better, you’ve acquired a parasite. Period.

#2  The mail-order labs for parasite testing (Genova, Metametrix, Meridian, etc.) are actually superior to hospital labs, but in Alison’s case old-fashioned physician arrogance had reared its ugly head. Veterinarians are also quite good at parasite diagnosis, though sadly your health insurance won’t work in the office of the compassionate vet who cares for your terrier.

#3  Many US gastroenterologists do not believe blastocystis hominis is a pathogenic (i.e., disease-causing) parasite. I know this may be hard to accept. But because I trained in the same hospitals myself, I knew that even though Alison’s stools had been repeatedly tested for parasites, when the results she showed her doctors said “blastocystis” these physicians shrugged it off as harmless. But blastocystis hominis from Mexico isn’t the same as the US variety, and I have a sneaking suspicion that Alison’s doctors forgot to ask a key question, “Did you do any foreign travel before you became ill?”

In the Brains Department, there wasn’t much for me to do. Alison had just held my rapt attention with a textbook history of a chronic parasite infestation as detailed as I might hear in a lecture by a university parasitologist. She then spread before me six separate stool-specimen reports from two highly respected labs, all showing “heavy growth blastocystis hominis.”  The labs had even made photographs of the parasites.

Alison then handed me her correspondence with the eminent UK parasitologist, his prescription, and the phone number of the compounding pharmacy he preferred.

All I had to do was pick up the phone

PS  Anticipating your questions

• People acquire this parasite via fecal-oral transmission—dirty hand to mouth or infected food service worker hand on food you’re going to eat.
  • Scientists don’t know for certain how blastocystis hominis causes diarrhea and other symptoms, though it’s probably by releasing a toxin.
  • Did Alison’s UK drug regimen work? She’s taking the medicines as you read this. Stay tuned.

1. Lorna Bibbie says:

OMG! This is so true and typical or what doctors/dentists do. It appears their egos are hurt when you persist or question them or take matters into your own hands. You want to get well and appears they are in the ego and money making business more than the caring and getting well business. Dr. E thanks so much for the article I will keep it forever.

2. Evie Maurer says:

Wonderful article. First of all, it shows that Dr. Edelberg is a truly caring doctor who actually LISTENS to his patients! He is also a wonderful writer! I’ll just bet that this woman is cured since she is finally being cured by the right doctor! For me, I’ve given up. Unfortunately, I don’t live near Chicago, and I’m tired of using my time to spend five minutes with a physician who only considers me a number in his day where he has a quota. Life is too short, I’ll try to enjoy the time I have left on this earth.
    Keep up the great work, WholeHealth Chicago!

3. Catherine Rush-Ossenbeck says:

Thank you for this wonderful article, David. You are providing such a service to us. Education and self-empowerment are gifts which can sincerely change lives…they have changed mine. Keep up the great work!

4. Ann Raven says:

Amazing we’ve avoided this, eating out often and in various foreign countries! Fingers crossed for the future – for us and for
    all of you. David is unique at listening and diagnosis. He’s smart. I love all of you at WHC! Thanks for all of your support and sensitivity and for the imagination and skill with which the practitioners have helped me. Ann Raven

5. Joan Bedore says:

Thanks for being such a good and sensitive listerner Dr. E. You truly care more about your patients feeling better than any doctor I have met. This women was lucky to walk into your office that day.

6. janice Trecker says:

I had almost exactly the same experience. Sadly, the parasite can recur in two to three year intervals. At least Alison will recognize the culprit if this happens to her.

7. james bielmaier says:

Been suffering from BC (documented by stool cultures) for 4 years & is getting more frequent. Several DRs ignored me, but have been prescribed two courses of Flagyl & a course of Alina without results. Tried pro-biotics, yogurt then tried Pepto Bismo daily. Went 4 months without an episode while taking Pepto Bismo. Relief lasted 4 months. Now, has returned as before in 1 to 3 times a week. Can you help me?? Thank you.

8. Moira Minke says:

Has Alison’s treatment worked?
    I have been diagnosed, through stool samples, with Blastcytis Hominis and found the web page of Jackie Delaney From her web page I have the descrition of the treatment that cured Jackie. It is Triple Therapy. Unfortunately I cannot find a doctor who will prescribe it. I live in Canada and at present visiting Fort Myers, Florida for the winter. I am still looking for help!!!!!

Yes: Alison’s stool is completely parasite-free

10. What an enlightening article. I just got healed from blastocystis hominis. Its now March 2015. Nine months ago, in July 2014, I started a cough that won’t go away. It would begin with a throat infection and then I would cough and cough with no relief. I saw three Doctors — one my regular Doctor trained in Family Medicine. Several times, she treated the cough with varying types of antibiotics, antihistamines, nasal drops, anti-asthma meds and so on.Her theory was that, since I am allergic to house dust and fresh dairy products, my symptoms MUST be allergies. She theorized that my sinuses were dripping so causing throat irritation. The meds helped some but soon, the cough was back. My tummy was bloated, I was flatulent, my stool was unhealthy. I cleaned my house, changed mattress and bedding, and so on. No relief. My daughter in Australia said: Mum, try alternative medicine, and I saw a Chinese Doctor who decided that Ying and Yang:) were imbalanced. She even told me that I was fighting bouts of anger, and mu hormones were totally out of balance. I spent almost $900 on Chinese herbal meds over four weeks of treatment. Coughing stopped for a bit but soon the symptoms were back. I then decided to seek out a ENT Surgeon and demanded an endoscopy, convinced that I had something growing in my throat. Endoscopy was clear and she gave me more antihistamines but this time, decided that I had too much acid and my problem was acid reflux. So, I got meds to stop my “acid pump” in the stomach from pouring too much acid. But I asked her: “Where is the acid coming from?” Still she told me to go on and try the meds. I did and for a week or so, coughing stopped. Then it was soon back. I slept only a few hours and I would wake up to do herbal concortions and so on. Finally, a few weeks ago, I went to my Family Doctor and demanded a full blood test to check on abnormal cells as well as a stool test. I told the Doctor that I am convinced that I have parasites in my gut. She laughed at me and obliged. A week later, results were out. I had blastocystis hominis. After two weeks of treatment, MY COUGH IS GONE! I thank God that my journey was shorter than six years, but who would have thought that blastocystis hominis can be linked to a long irritating cough!

11. Bryarly McEachern says:

Hello Dr. Edelburg,
    I have had Blastocystis hominis since May 2013 and have tried Flagyl and Paromomycin to get rid of it, without success. My symptoms initially were diarrhea, nausea and faintness after eating starchy foods, and irritability. Within 2 months I also developed an autoimmune condition of the scalp (lichen planopilaris), resulting in cutaneous lesions and some hair loss. I had to radically change my diet to reduce inflammation in my body, following the Paleo Approach. I have also tried herbal remedies such as black walnut, goldenseal, and slippery elm to eradicate the parasite and heal my gut. In October 2014 stool tests confirmed that I still have Blastocystis hominis. My hormones are also messed up- I haven’t had a period for 5 months. Before I try another strong antibiotic, I’m trying intensive accupuncture for 4 months, but based on others’ reports it sounds as if the only effective way to eradicate the parasite is via the triple drug therapy.

I have read that Saccharomyces Boulardii can resolve a Blastocystis hominis infection. What are you thoughts?

Also, do you think that in order for the triple-drug therapy to be successful one should avoid the following during treatment: starches, sugars, probiotics and probiotic-rich foods? I have read (not in scientific articles) that probiotics can make Blastocystis hominis infections worse.

Finally, have you heard of other patients who have developed autoimmune diseases as a result of Blastocystis hominis infection?

Much thanks,

Hi Bryarly
    I think the Blastocystis and the autoimmune issues are unrelated but to finally clear the parasite I do suggest the triple antibiotic protocol. I’ve not heard of Saccharomyces able to completely clear Blastocystis
    Dr E

13. May says:

Hi Dr. Edelberg, I’m also suffering from Blastocystis hominis for almost 2 years now. I took Alinia and things got better for a few months, but then all my symptoms came back. Can you help me. I live in Canada and willing to travel to Chicago.

Hi May
    Yes, we can work with you. Be sure to bring all your lab tests at the time of your first appointment. Generally, the triple antibiotic approach clears these infections.
    You might want to contact Genova Diagnostics and order the “Comprehensive Parasitology” test if you haven’t had a stool test in the past 6 months. They would mail you the collection kit and you’d send it directly to them

15. Richard Muncaster says:

Hi Dr. Edelberg,

Five years ago, I acquired Campylobacter after international travel (albeit to England), and have spent countless hours, thousands of dollars, and relentlessly sought out medical help to solve the ongoing GI issues that have lingered since the initial Campylobacter antibiotics. Similarly to your “persistent patient” story, all of my doctors have disregarded my symptoms, refused to test for parasites, and belittled my situation to a point of saying: “Well, you’re not dying, so what are you worried about”.

The bloating, severe distention, loose stools, and a multitude of other GI issues have increased exponentially over the years.
    This year, 2015, after finding a Certified Nutritionist, I finally learned that I have blastocystis hominis.

My Internal Medicine doctor and GI specialist all refuse to provide anything other than Flagyl, which I’ve read, alone, will not kill the parasite in the long term, in fact, it only proliferates.

Can you recommend any doctors in San Francisco (or Northern California) who practice the triple therapy approach that you’ve used?
    If not, I am open to flying to Chicago to meet with you.

Desperate but hopeful,

Hi Richard
    Just click this link and you’ll need not travel to Chicago

17. Richard Muncaster says:

Thanks, Dr E for the references to US doctors experienced with BH.

Unfortunately, Dr. Kaiser (Northern CA) no longer runs his private practice (he’s now focused on clinical trials).
    I contacted his employer for a potential referral, but he no longer provides referrals as he wasn’t able to find a practice in Northern California that lived up to his standards.

Dr. Stuppy (Southern CA) doesn’t have as much commentary online, as you do, especially regarding triple therapy, as he’s used a single approach with Nitazoxanide.

I will work with Whole Health Chicago on the possibility of meeting with you.

18. Lana Duim says:

Diagnosed with b hominis a month ago, did a round of Flagyl to no avail, now going for scans and MRI. Have lost considerable amount of weight, I am a 64 year old active female, no disease and eat a very healthy diet. Please help me with treatment to rid this nasty invader.
    Thank you.
    Lana Duim

Hi Lana
    You’ll need to print out the triple therapy recommended and ask your doctor if he/she will prescribe these. The meds are not unusual or alternative and simply used for stubborn infections

20. Richard Muncaster says:

Hi Dr. Edelberg,
    I’m working with a doctor in California who is researching the First Line triple therapy recommended by the CDD in Sydney.
    Iodoquinol 325mg, Nitazoxanide 500 mg, Paromomycin 500mg.

However, the pharmacy is telling us that Iodoquinol has been discontinued. Can you recommend a US-based pharmacy that carries the triple therapy, or if a new treatment has replaced it?

Eager to find the solution.

Hi Richard
    There is a real shortage of Iodoquinol but you can contact the manufacturer and perhaps your doctor can order it directly from them.
    You can also try a compounding pharmacy and see if they can prepare capsules

22. Martin Reinstadler says:

Dear Dr. Edelberg,
    Thank you very much for this article- I suffer for the last 14 years (after a trip to India) heavily from Blastocystis Hominis. Unfortunately in Italy this parasite is not recognized as pathogenic, and I could not find any help in this year. Could you help me- which drugs helped Alison? I would do anything to improve the current situation- do you think it could be beneficial to come over to you?

23. Bryarly says:

After trying to treat my Blastocystis hominis infection for two years, I finally found a cocktail that worked successfully for me! I had already tried Flagyl and Paromomycin and an herbal protocol containing black walnut and goldenseal, and none was successful. Then I came across the Healthy Gut Summit interviews, wherein I heard two interviews with gut experts Anne Louise Gittleman and Dr. Leo Galland. They both mentioned that they had treated B. hominis successfully with herbal/supplement protocols. I combined their two approaches for a 6-week protocol, and now, 1.5 months after finishing the protocol, my follow-up stool samples have come back with no B. hominis present. I have regained most of the weight I lost when I was infected, and my stools have improved dramatically.

Here is what I did:
    I was already on a low glycemic index diet that eliminated all possible gut irritants including dairy, grains, night-shade vegetables, sugars and sweeteners, alcohol, caffeine, tofu, legumes (beans, peas, lentils, soy): the Auto-Immune Protocol diet (as found in The Paleo Approach, by Sarah Ballantyne). I was focusing on lightly cooked vegetables, bone broths, a variety of meats and seafood, and organ meat once or twice per week. I was also taking l-glutamine, Vitamin D, iodine, digestive enzymes, and fish oil (highest quality, toxin-free) for gut support and support of my hypothyroid.

For a week before starting the protocol, I continued this diet and drank a glass of long-cooked bone broth daily, and I took Prescript Assist (soil-based probiotic) daily.

Then the protocol began. I took the following for 6 weeks:
    – Unikey’s My Colon Cleansing Kit (it contains detailed instructions about what foods and supplements to avoid during the protocol to ensure its effectiveness)(Anne Louise Gittleman developed this product)
    – Thorne’s SF722 (an essential fatty acid that apparently helps to break down the cyst structure, Unikey’s wellness consultants explained)
    – Berberine – 500 mg once per day (or 250 mg with breakfast and 250 mg with lunch). I added the berberine, because it was one herb that Dr. Galland uses that wasn’t included in the Colon Cleansing Kit

At the end of each week on the protocol and at the very end of the 6 weeks I performed a coffee enema to help flush out the parasite and its waste products. I did a lot of research on coffee enemas to ensure that I was doing it optimally. I flushed my colon with a sea salt enema first (using purified or tested spring water), then did two coffee enemas in a row (holding each one for about 10 minutes).

Apparently it is very important to follow the diet and supplement recommendations found in Unikey’s Colon Cleansing Kit during the protocol (for example, you’re supposed to stay off sugar, alcohol, antioxidant supplements etc… things that the parasite thrives on and things that can increase gut inflammation).

After the protocol was complete, I just continued to follow my low glycemic index Auto-Immune Protocol diet, and resumed all my previous supplements, making sure to continue probiotic supplementation and eating probiotic foods every day (esp. sauerkraut with live cultures).

By day 7 of the protocol, my stools went from daily diarrhea or constipation that would last 2 days to a good daily stool that was firm. When I was finished with the protocol, my stools continued to be good, except for a few days here and there when they were loose again. At first I thought, “Oh no, the Blasto is back!” but after a few days my stools improved again and for the past month they have been consistently good.

Unikey has Wellness Consultants on a toll-free number who are ready and willing to answer any questions you have about the protocol, and they have experience treating people for Blastocystis hominis. When I first called them, the one I spoke to said she had personally treated 3 patients with Blasto in the preceding 5 months, and all 3 were cured of it. For Blasto infection it’s important to take the SF722 product along with the Colon Cleansing Kit. She also said that if you have had the infection for a long time, then it might take 2 or 3 rounds of the protocol to successfully eradicate it. She said the Colon Cleansing Kit can be taken for up to 6 months straight if necessary.

After I did the protocol once, I started doing it a second time just to make sure I was rid of the Blasto, but I started feeling nauseous while taking the herbs, which I think was my body telling me that it didn’t need to do a second round. Perhaps my liver needed a break too. In the end, I didn’t need to do the second round.

I have since been trying to be careful to wash my hands before eating and practicing careful hygiene, because I don’t want to reinfect myself with any cysts that might be still lying around the house on door knobs etc. I don’t know how long they remain viable for, so I’m being cautious.

This isn’t medical advice, because I’m not a medical expert, but I thought you might be interested in hearing what worked for me. All the best!

24. Britney says:

Hi Dr Edelberg,

I have been sick for about 8 months and tested positive for Blasto. I’ve seen infectious disease specialists at the Cleveland clinic who still won’t prescribe me anything except Falgyl. I even went as far as removing my breast implants because Drs couldn’t find anything wrong with me and I was told over and over again that blasto wouldn’t be causing my symptoms. I live in Los Angeles and would be willing to travel to you for the triple therapy if you can help me treat this parasite.

25. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Britney – I’ve shown your comments to Dr Edelberg and he said he would be happy to see you. Please bring test results with you as these will be important to establish the diagnosis. Additional tests may be necessary, but we’d be happy to see you in our clinic for an appointment with Dr E. You can schedule by calling our staff at 773-296-6700.
    -Dr M

26. Anastasia Walsh says:

My 10-year-old son suffers from an autoimmune ocular disease. The only thing his integrative doc could find wrong with him were multiple food allergies and blastocystis. We have since treated him with multiple herbal treatments and finally nitazoxanide for 20 days. He still tested positive for blastocystis one month after treatment, but numbers much smaller. His ocular autoimmune disease went into remission for 9 months. He relapsed over the summer, after we began eating potatoes and corn and lots of watermelon (we previously followed a strict GAPS diet). My question is whether the triple (iodoquionol, paromomycin and nitazoxanide) is considered to be safe or advisable for children? His sister, 7, has also become infected. I would love to hear from Dr. E. on the topic of pediatric blastocystis as well as anyone who has successfully treated their children. Thank you!

Hi Anatstasia
    Studies have shown that either metronidazole (Flagyl) or the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii can safely be given to children to clear their blastocystis. You can show this article to your doctor

28. Anastasia Walsh says:

Thanks so much for your prompt response – much appreciated! My husband is Mexican and thus we traveled to Mexico with my son at 10 months old, and again at 3 years. We’ve tried both Flagyl and saccaromyces boulardii per the attached study, as well as a 20 day course of nitazoxanide (Alinia). My now 10-year-old son greatly improved for quite awhile after taking nitazoxanide, but eradication wasn’t successful and the blasto is back. We are considering the triple antibiotic treatment for him because his autoimmune eye disease went into remission for 10 months following nitazoxanide treatment, leading us to believe that in his case, it’s very, very important to get rid of the blasto. But we hesitate to use such harsh drugs on a child and haven’t ever heard of other children who’ve gone through the treatment. My daughter, 7, also has blastocystis, probably transmitted from her brother. She is fairly asymptomatic. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Hi Anastasia
    I agree the triple antibiotic is a rough go. That’s why I recommended the program already used for children

30. Anastasia Walsh says:

Sadly, the blastocystis that has taken up residence in my children doesn’t respond to either flagyl or saccaromyces boulardii, or even nitazoxanide on its own. We may try Bryarly’s approach, which includes Unikey’s colon cleanse, before we resort to the harsh drugs of the triple. Thanks for your advice, Dr. E., much appreciated!

31. J. George Strnad says:

Dr. Edelberg, an amazing story, very similar to mine. I have several lab reports clearly showing that Blastocystis is the parasite that has been torturing me for several years now (since 2011). I have seen a number of gastroenterologists and been prescribed several types of antibiotics from Metronidazole, to SMZ/TMP to Nitazoxanide(Alinia) for up three weeks and double doses. Every time after completion of the antibiotic treatment there is a remission for about 2-4 weeks, and then the symptoms return – strong abdominal pain early in the morning, nausea throughout the day, severe constipation, with symptoms usually worst after carbohydrate rich diet – rice, bread, pasta. I would really appreciate if my functional doctor could consult with you the three antibiotic combination prescription.

Thank you for your great post!

32. rob staunton says:

Hi there

Who is the UK doctor mentioned below?

I am looking to get a doctor to get a cure for this

Get advice and recommendations, delicious and time-saving recipes from The Triple Whammy Food Plan, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

Dr. Edelberg’s Health Tips contain concise bits of advice, medical news and highlights, supplement and pharmaceutical updates, stress relief ideas, and a dose of Q&As sent in by our readers. With every Health Tip, you’ll receive an easy and delicious recipe that fits nicely into The Triple Whammy Food Plan.

When you sign up to receive Health Tips, you can look forward to Dr. Edelberg’s smart and very current observations arriving in your in-box weekly. They’re packed with useful information and are often slightly irreverent. One of the most common responses to the tips is “I wish my doctor talked to me like this!”

Weight Loss Class the Qigong Way

Sunday, November 1 2:00 – 3:00 PM WholeHealth Chicago 2522 N. Lincoln Avenue, Chicago Non-traditional weight loss techniques. How would you like to lose weight and keep it off?  No gimmicks, …More Information »

Monthly Mindfulness Group

The challenges of contemporary life make it all too easy to accumulate stress. Without the proper attention, stress builds until we feel overwhelmed and as if we are living “in …More Information »

HPV Immunization: Mired In Controversy

Patients with pre-teens and teenagers have been asking my opinion on the HPV (human papilloma virus) immunization, sold as Gardasil by the Big Pharma giant Merck. Young daughters, and now sons, are bringing home handouts from school, being pressured by the family pediatrician, and, oh …Read More »

A Baffling Mystery: Treating Pain and Depression

We definitely treat a lot of patients with chronic pain and chronic depression at WholeHealth Chicago. I could list the potential sources of all this pain, all this depression, but why bother? If pain or depression melt away your joie de vivre, we try to …Read More »

Celebration Herbal Teas on Sale During November

All the herbs in these Celebration teas are organically grown and prepared, ensuring their true flavor and active properties are enjoyed in every cup. Our organic audit trail enables traceability from the field to your table. No flavorings, preservatives, or sweeteners of any kind have been added. 20% off Celebration Herbal Teas the entire month of November.