An Occupational Therapist Chicago IL Residents Turn to for Guidance
What are the benefits for a child to see an occupational therapist?
The early years of a child’s life are very important, as this is when he or she will develop their physical, cognitive, and social skills. Between the ages of infancy and three years, the brain is constantly evolving which is partly why there are so many milestones during that time. As an occupational therapist in Chicago IL can tell you, not every child will pass these developmental milestones with ease. Some children are limited in their development; others delayed. When a child faces these challenges, they might need the help and support of an occupational therapist. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago can make a determination of what the best course of therapy may be for your child.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, approximately 15%, or one in six of children between the ages of three and 17 have a developmental disability. A disability is considered to be an impairment in physical, learning, language, behavior areas. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago can help children of all ages to enhance their development, improve cognitive skills, and minimize any development delays. The therapy will be conducted according to the child’s age, disability, and/or condition. Various therapeutic techniques are used and may include:
- Sand therapy
- Water therapy
- Gentle massage
Activities using special toys
- Sensory integration activities
- Coordination activities
- Visual perception activities
- Fine motor skills activities
An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago may work with one child at a time; however, the child may be encouraged to participate in small group activities to help with their social development.
How an Occupational Therapist from WholeHealth Chicago Can Help a Child
There are numerous benefits for a child with a developmental disability to see an occupational therapist. Some are as follows:
1. Daily Life Activities – An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago can help a child learn self help skills such as how to brush their teeth, get dressed, use the toilet, and so forth. These basic skills are particularly important and can assist in the overall child’s self esteem.
2. Sensory Processing – Children who have sensory processing issues may be unable to process information related to sight, sound, smell, touch, or taste. They may experience under or over sensitivity, or sometimes both, at home, school, or elsewhere. The child might struggle to pay attention and become distracted by things like a fire alarm or bright lights. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago can help a child address these issues and regain the skills associated to the five senses.
3. Children with Cerebral Palsy – Occupational therapy can be very beneficial for children who have cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and other similar disorders that require a wheelchair or walker. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago may help the child to use the wheelchair/walker in a way that allows them to maneuver easily throughout their home, school, and other places.
4. Children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – ASD is somewhat similar to sensory processing disorder, and some children will have both. In the case of ASD, the child may struggle to communicate with other people, have limited interests in playing with toys or other children, and also less interest in hobbies or activities. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago may observe the child’s behavior and help them to regain these important life skills.
5. Fine and Gross Motor Skills – Gross motor skills involve the movement of muscles. Fine motors skills focus on the use and movement of the forearms and fingers. Children who struggle with either of these skills might find it difficult to walk, run, swim, bicycle, and so forth. An occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago can help the child to improve these skills, and, in certain situations, even eliminate the obstacle.
Occupational therapy can make a big difference in a child’s life. If you would like to speak with an occupational therapist from WholeHealth Chicago, call WholeHealth Chicago.
Understanding Occupational Therapy
An occupational therapist Chicago IL wants to help you break away from the limitations illness may have placed on your life. The occupational therapist wants you to live life to the fullest.
Virtually any physical or emotional condition undeniably limits your ability to function at 100%, to engage fully in what therapists call the activities of daily living, With chronic pain, for example, or chronic fatigue, you gradually find yourself increasingly hemmed in by disability. You plan ahead for the simplest of tasks. Can I make it up the stairs? Can I get my groceries in? How can I not lose my job? Should I apply for long-term disability? Worst of all looms the question “Is this always going to be my life?”
An occupational therapist Chicago IL teaches such skills as conserving energy, modifying your home and workplace environments, and reducing both pain and stress.
But occupational therapy isn’t limited to the physical. If you’re emotionally depressed or chronically anxious, you’re not thinking at your best. You feel your efficiency’s in a free fall and you wonder if there isn’t something you can do to help all this (aren’t there brain exercises or something?).
The answer is yes. Even a condition like adult attention deficit disorder (ADD) can benefit from occupational therapy. Taking your ADD meds, you discover that they help with memory, focus, and concentration. But soon you realize the truth behind the ADD adage “Pills don’t teach skills.” Now that you’re more focused and attentive, you’d like help getting your life organized and your schedule efficiently managed.
So whether she’s dealing with physical challenges or mental/emotional limitations, remember that “Live your life to the fullest” is the occupational therapist’s Chicago IL goal.
What can occupational therapy achieve?
An occupational therapist Chicago IL can assist people with the following and more:
- Achieve greater independent living.
- Adapt their environment in response to their physical limitations.
- Enhance mental clarity.
- Relearn how to dress, bathe, brush their teeth and perform other home and self-care measures despite their condition.
- Improve their eye and hand coordination.
- Improve their ability to balance, walk, and stand.
Contact WholeHealth Chicago to find out more about occupational therapist Chicago IL appreciates.