The Nature of Naturopathic Medicine
Before you make an appointment with a natural medicine doctor Chicago IL offers, you may be looking for information about naturopathic medicine. Naturopathic medicine, also known as naturopathy, is an integrated approach to healthcare provided by licensed physicians. A Chicago IL natural medicine doctor from WholeHealth Chicago can treat a wide range of medical issues using this approach. A natural medicine doctor in Chicago IL uses natural materials and methods in a therapeutic manner to diagnose, treat, and prevent illness and disease. This is based on the understanding that the body can heal itself. Some of the methods we may use include a combination of traditional, empirical, and scientific approaches:
- Herbal medicine
- Clinical nutrition
- Naturopathic manipulation
The Guidelines of Treating Patients with Naturopathic Medicine
A natural medicine doctor Chicago IL patients trust follows the following principles:
- The healing power of nature. The body can naturally heal itself and a natural medicine doctor Chicago IL community members turn to for help understands and respects this truth. The doctor’s primary role is to identify what is hindering the body’s ability to heal on its own, and then remove that obstacle.
- Diagnose, identify, and treat the cause of the illness rather than treat the symptoms.
- First do no harm. A natural medicine doctor Chicago IL residents choose will make every effort to avoid hurting the patient in any way before, during, or after treating them. This includes:
- Choose methods and natural substances which offer the least likelihood of causing negative side effects, and use as little force as possible when diagnosing and treating the patient.
- Make every effort to avoid disguising the symptoms of the health condition or problem.
- Compliment the body’s ability to self-heal by acknowledging this natural process, respecting it, and working with it rather than against it.
- Doctor as the teacher. A naturopathic physician is responsible for educating their patients and encouraging them to be proactive about engaging in healthy choices for achieving and maintaining optimum wellness.
- Treat the whole person. Naturopathic physicians consider each patient’s individual mental, physical, social, environmental, genetic, and emotional factors, among others. As part of the mind body connection, a natural medicine doctor should also encourage their patients’ spiritual development as well.
- Prevention. A naturopathic physician understands the importance of preventing disease by determining a patient’s risk factors including genetics and family history. By assessing these risk factors, the physician can work with their patients to help them take measures to prevent contracting diseases and illness.
WholeHealth Chicago: Integrative, Functional, and Alternative Medicine
If you are suffering from an illness, there may be treatment alternatives that do not include drugs or surgery. Talk to one of our naturopathic physicians to learn viable options that can assist your body to heal naturally. If you would like to know more about how a natural medicine doctor Chicago IL locals recommend can help you, call us at 773.296.6700 to schedule an appointment for a consultation.