Case Study: High Blood Pressure

Phyllis B. was a longtime patient of mine whose medical problems were happily under control and who usually came in only for annual check-ups. As I’d just seen her last month, I expected today’s visit meant some new problem had emerged.

“I’m here for Kirk,” she began.

I’d only met her husband once, years earlier. An accountant, or bookkeeper, or something like that, I remembered. The phrase “Kirk never goes to doctors” had stuck in my mind. Apparently, he’d recently been going to a doctor.

“At one of the blood pressure screenings they do at his office…”

I was going to interrupt, “I know, I know, they found high blood pressure and you’re worried,” because doctors always interrupt their patients, finish their sentences, and so forth. We can’t help it. We’re the ultimate know-it-alls. But I’m working on this trait and kept my mouth shut.

“They found high blood pressure. I’m worried about him because he went to a doctor near his office who convinced him to start taking some pills. Now his blood pressure is down, but he’s not the same man.”

“Meaning?”

“For one thing, he’s depressed at the prospect of taking pills for the rest of his life. For another, he’s not as energetic, he’s become absent-minded, and as for our sex life, forget it.”

I asked Phyllis if Kirk would come in to see me. For someone who doesn’t like doctors, I thought, two physicians in his life might be a culture shock.

“No, he’ll come. He liked how you helped me. How did you remember he doesn’t like going to doctors?”

“We doctors know everything.”

Kirk arrives for his appointment
I didn’t recognize the gloomy looking man at first and then I realized it was because he’d gained so much weight since his visit years ago. I couldn’t think of any accountant jokes to cheer him up so we got right down to business.

He showed me the numbers from the office health fair where his high blood pressure was initially discovered. They really weren’t all that bad, and I told him so immediately. He’d also brought a copy of the lab tests run by the other physician and he handed them over with a sigh and worried look.

“What’s worrying you about this?” I asked.

“The doctor said it was pretty bad. The cholesterol, I mean. He wants to start me on some drugs for it.”

Like Kirk’s blood pressure, his cholesterol levels were in the mild-to-moderate range. I thought his doctor must be a cup-half-empty sort of person. Me, I’m more optimistic.
I did want to be tactful, however.

“Listen, Kirk, I agree with your other doctor that, left alone, as-is, and untreated, your blood pressure and cholesterol will knock ten years off your life. Those are the statistics, pure and simple. You’re not smoking anymore, are you?”

“How did you know I used to smoke?”

“We doctors know everything.”

Lifestyle adjustments to the rescue
Phyllis, Kirk, and I plotted out a program that would dramatically improve his numbers if Kirk followed the guidelines.

“Look” I began. “I’ll make this simple. You’ve got what we call lifestyle problems. Your lifestyle basically stinks. You have no business eating cheesesteaks for lunch. You never exercise and walking around your office doesn’t count. You’re overworking and mostly sedentary. And now your body is sending messages that it’s very disappointed in you.”

We made a plan. First, Kirk would go from our office to a pharmacy and purchase his own blood pressure monitor. He would take it to work, place it next to his computer screen, and at least once a day record his blood pressure. He’d get a notebook for this and bring it along on every visit. He’d also check out some free stress-reduction apps for his phone.

Next, he’d return for some sessions with WholeHealth Chicago nutritionist Olivia Wagner. He and Phyllis would ideally see her together, to learn the basics of healthful food shopping and preparation.

Then, one more thing. I told Kirk I’d like him to go over to the health club near his office and hire a personal trainer. It’s an out-of-pocket expense, true, but he of all people could probably finagle a tax deduction out of it for health-related purposes.

I started Kirk on the following supplements and herbs to protect his heart and lower his cholesterol a bit, recommending that he make green tea his beverage of choice as it helps with both blood pressure and cholesterol. If green tea wasn’t his cuppa, he could take green tea extract capsules, one twice daily.

For blood pressure
Carditone (an herbal blend) twice daily.
Omegagenics EPA/DHA (fish oil) twice daily.

For cholesterol
Berberine twice daily.
Bergamot twice daily.

I told him he might not need the supplements at all after a few weeks. Kirk’s BP would likely drop with weight loss, as his was mild in the first place and had been taken in a stressful situation (the doctor’s office). Once his BP was under control, his doctor would probably be willing to take him off the medication, especially if he complains loudly enough about the side effects.

Kirk looks dubious
“This is a lot of stuff you want me to do.”

I assured him it only seemed that way because he was starting from ground zero, where he’d been doing nothing at all to support his health. If he asked around, he’d probably be surprised by how many of his accountant buddies paid attention to what they were eating and worked out at a health club three or four times a week.

“All this will soon be second nature to you,” I said, “especially when you start getting your mo-jo back.”

Kirk looked over at Phyllis, “Did you tell him…?” but Phyllis was studiously avoiding eye contact.

“OK, OK, I’ll start on all of it. Say, how did you know about the tax deduction for a trainer? That’s my field.”

“Dear,” said Phyllis, “Doctors know everything.”

And because he put his mind to it, Kirk did do well. First of all, he had Phyllis for support and she wanted her old Kirk back. She became an extraordinary cook and got him interested in meal preparation. Together they found inventive ways to amp up the fruit and vegetables in their daily diet.

Kirk’s home-packed lunches were the envy of his office. His personal trainer helped him tone muscles Kirk hadn’t used since college and his wardrobe changed for the better as his waist shrank from a 42 to a 34. He stuck with his original doctor, which was fine with me. I hoped the doctor could see what patients were capable of doing if only they were guided along the right path and had the will to change.

When Phyllis came in some months later for her annual physical, she brought a copy of Kirk’s at-home blood pressure readings, his weight, and his cholesterol levels.

“These are with no medications at all. He’s very happy, although it gets a bit much as he now tells everyone what to eat and how to exercise.”

I laughed and told her that happens. “Successful patients–especially those who’ve gotten well by their own efforts–their personalities begin to resemble doctors.”

“What do you mean?”

“They act like they know everything.”

1. Kathryn McKechnie says:

Loved this article. It was informative and made me laugh!

2. Diane Engelhardt says:

I love it! You are awesome!

3. Van Gurley says:

Dr E,
    You crack me up. I love these true stories and your humorous slant on repairing our health. Thank you.

4. Gabriele Strohschen says:

You are such a good writer! You story telling makes the info stick 🙂 Thanks

5. David Bailey,DC says:

David, I needed this article very much. Thanks Doc!

6. RAMONA LYONS says:

If I stayed near Chicago, this would be my go-to place!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Love the e-newsletter!

Tennessee

7. Crystal Stevenson says:

Dr. E…but you DO know everything! 😉
    I loved this article’s message and will borrow some intention from it in my work.
    Thank you so much!

8. Mary Daniels-Huff says:

Hi my name is Mary Daniels-Huff. I am not currently a patient (I live in Rockford) but have received your newsletters for years. I worked for Bob Gosdick for many years My question is: I have been using your Choleast for cholesterol for quite a few years. I have just read about the Bergamot supplement for cholesterol (Bob told me his wife Bonnie Gosdick was prescribed this by you). I am wondering if I can use the Bergamot in place of the Choleast. My total cholesterol is only 226 and my good cholesterol is 67. My doctor is ok with my supplements instead of statins, and I will not take the statins, but I don’t think he is very familiar with supplements. Thanks for any advice you can give.

The bergamot is a good choice. Try for a couple of months and recheck you cholesterol levels. I agree with your doc about using supplements instead of statins

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

**Facial Guasha Class
Thursday, September 19, 6-7:30pm
With Mari Stecker, LAc

Course Fee: $75.00
(includes take-home facial guasha tool and custom anti-aging facial oil)

Join us and learn a traditional Chinese facial rejuvenation technique that you can do yourself! Guasha treatment is a 2,000 year old Chinese massage technique that uses a flat tool to apply pressure to the skin to increase circulation as it moves along acupuncture channels.

Your skin will thank you and will look more radiant, smooth and younger!

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

• First, Heal Your Gut

About 25 years ago, when I was organizing what today is WholeHealth Chicago, I attempted to learn everything I could about all the fields of what was then called alternative medicine. Since naturopathic medicine, or naturopathy, didn’t really exist in Illinois (perpetually blocked by the Illinois State Medical Society), I flew to the west coast to attend the annual meeting of the American Association of Read More

• Chronic Lyme Disease: Best Testing, Best Treatment

Last week I suggested if you’ve been suffering longstanding but otherwise unexplained symptoms, a long-ago tick bite might be an overlooked possibility and you could now be dealing with chronic Lyme disease. I added that your recovery may well be delayed by some totally unnecessary and immature bickering among physicians about the correct name for this condition. For simplicity’s sake, what I call chronic Lyme Read More

• Chronic Lyme Disease? Me? Are You Serious?

Yes, I am serious. These days, from what we’re learning about Lyme disease (more about its specific terminology later), anything is  possible. If you regard yourself as healthy and were asked, “Overall, how do you feel?” and you answered “Just fine, thanks,” then Lyme in any form is very unlikely and testing you would be a waste of your time and money. In other words, Read More

August Sale – 20% off Liposomal Glutathione by Researched Nutritionals

Liposomal Glutathione orange product photo

One of the most powerful antioxidants, liposomal glutathione helps promote healthy detoxification, strengthens the immune system and promotes cell repair after damage by chronic illness and toxins.

Click here to take advantage of this month’s promotion!