Worrisome Dementia Report For Women and Steps To Take

We’ve always known there was a higher rate of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias in women than in men, initially attributed to the fact that women live longer and that the decline in mental function occurred with age. This turned out to be wrong. At 65, a woman has a greater than one-in-six chance of developing dementia, whereas a man’s is one-in-eleven. If the dementia worsens to Alzheimer’s, this translates to two-thirds of Alzheimer patients being women and one-third men.

What researchers have now discovered is that the first signs of mental decline in women can occur in mid-life. Importantly, though, while some women’s brain function does decline from middle age Alzheimer’s is not necessarily inevitable.

For the study, 3302 women between the ages of 42 and 52 were enrolled, with 2709 completing it several years later. They would be retested at intervals and the tests would be changed each time so that there wouldn’t be an artificial improvement due to better test-taking skills (the so-called test practice effect). Because the transition to menopause was already known to impair mental function in some women, researchers decided that the baseline test should be given at age 54, when menopause was complete. Subjects would then have three or more follow-up tests about every six and a half years.

Three factors were tested:

• Cognitive processing speed, in which participants matched numbers to symbols in a specified time period.
  • Verbal episodic memory Ability to recall story elements in a paragraph read to them.
  • Working memory Ability to manipulate information held in memory, assessed by giving a series of numbers and asking the participant to recite the list backwards.

In previous studies, mental decline during the menopause transition had been documented in some women. This new study, starting after menopause, showed further decline in all measurements taken when hormone levels weren’t going into free-fall, as they do during the transition to menopause.

Right up front, the researchers acknowledged two shortcomings to the project. Obviously, one was that no men were involved, even though the purpose of this project was to explore the overall higher rates of dementia in aging women. Secondly, there were no therapeutic interventions along the way, such as lifestyle changes, medications, or nutritional supplements.

Also apparently not taken into consideration were the test group’s cognition-affecting lifestyle habits—e.g., exercise, nutrition, and the brain workouts listed below. Women who had used or were taking hormone replacement were excluded from the project.

In the test group, declines were apparent from the start, with a full 5% functional impairment over a ten-year period. The authors noted: “Further research is needed to identify factors that influence decline rates and to develop interventions that slow cognitive aging.”

Given this research, it’s important to know there are many steps you can take to considerably slow mental decline.

Here’s a checklist
No, I won’t test your memory by asking you to recite this list by heart. On the other hand, keeping all this in your mind and at the ready would not be a bad idea.

• Starting at least in your 40s (but do start now if you’re past 40), make an extra effort to keep your brain active and challenged. Take evening courses, do different puzzles, learn a language, and stay connected with others. Here’s a resource from AARP on a variety of approaches focusing on sleep, fitness, and nutrition. And another from TIME.
  • Unless you have specific contraindications (breast cancer, blood clots), strongly consider using bioidentical hormones during your transition into menopause. Low estrogen and progesterone have repeatedly been linked to poor mental functioning and most women feel sharper when their hormones are restored to a pre-menopause range.
  • Get your thyroid hormone levels checked. Even minimal hypothyroidism (low thyroid) can affect the brain’s function. Ask your doctor to test T3, T4, and TSH. Don’t accept just any answer. Tell your doc you want hormone replacement to place you in “high normal” range. Remember, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) rises as thyroid function goes down. Most doctors start treatment at TSH 5.0 or higher. You want your treatment to start at 2.5 or higher.
  • Have your hearing checked. Even relatively mild hearing loss has been linked to decline in brain function. If you need hearing aids, wear them.
  • Low levels of B vitamins (especially B-12) and D have also been linked to poor brain function, so either get these measured by your doctor or make sure you’re including D and B complex in your supplement regimen.
  • There are several over-the-counter nutritional supplements that have been shown in studies to enhance memory. I’ll link each of these to one research article so you can read more yourself. Acetyl-L-Carnitine. Citicholine. Turmeric (dementia is linked to brain inflammation and turmeric is an anti-inflammatory that can reach the brain). Despite last week’s Health Tip recommending a trimmed-down supplement regimen, these are important and it’s more economical to purchase them separately than to buy a combination memory supplement that may contain ingredients never clinically tested. If you’re unaware of having any particular memory issues, each of these supplements, including the fish oil, can be dosed at one capsule daily, significantly reducing your costs. If you do have memory problems, take each twice daily for three months or so, reducing to once a day thereafter.

To test the effect of your self-treatment program (not just the supplements), before you start anything try memorizing something, like a poem. Then, three months later, try your hand at a different poem.

I’m guessing you’ll have a very pleasant surprise!

1. Evie says:

Oh man, NOW you tell me! I’m doomed. I’ll be 65 in June of this year. My mother developed Alzheimer’s in her early 50’s and lived for another 24 years. I’ve begged my doctors to consider thyroid treatment for years, but was told that I was “within normal limits”. Fortunately, I keep very active physically and mentally.
    Thank you for keeping us up to date with this information.
    For me, I’ll let Dr. Cliff take care of me in my old age!

2. Deborah says:

Thanks for this important info. My spouse and I have found daily turmeric use to be quite helpful. For my scientist father-in-law, do you have a research reference I can send to him on turmeric and memory/dementia?

3. Jill Hileman says:

I once knew the full 20+ lines of Hamlet’s suicide soliloquy 20+ years ago. Which black hole did that fall into?

4. Patti Woodbury says:

Interesting. Unfortunately, with my cancer, most “good” antioxidants have caused GI bleeding problems for me (apparently note common). Also, I thought k it is important,to,differentiate between taking turmeric or a curcumin supplement – not the same thing.
    Don’t know about the memorization as I have never been able to memorize my way out of a paper bag. Never “got” the multiplication tables and couldn’t memorize the table of elements, which caused me to flunk bio-chem class. On the other hand, I function very well within context – even in complex problems.

5. Louise says:

Does BHRT also help with prevent dementia in men?

6. Patti says:

Correction – anti-oxidnts causing bleeding problems (and other issues) for cancer patients is apparently NOT uncommon. (per my oncologist,oncology nutritionist and research links from the MSKCC’s “About Herbs” data base).

7. Susan Ravine says:

Do you recommend Levelthyroxine for hypothyroidism. My TSH has been high for about 2 years. I appear
    a-symptomatic otherwise. My doc prescribed .025 m, I am 5’2 and 103 lbs.
    taking this every morning without any food etc for an hour will be hard for me as I wake up early have coffee and a small breakfast, excercise, shower and then get to work. I don’t have an extra
    morning hour. Any suggestions?

A full hour isn’t needed. 15 minutes generally works fine

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

**Winter Solstice Celebration: An evening of Acupuncture and Shamanic Healing
Tuesday, December 17, 5:45–7:30pm
Hosted by Katie Oberlin, HTCP and Mari Stecker, LAc

Course Fee: $75.00

Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season to enter the stillpoint of the Winter Solstice, reflect on the lessons of 2019, and set intentions for the new year. This will be an evening of individual and group healing, ceremony, and celebration. More →

• Issues with Endocrinologists: Thyroid Approaches and Big Pharma

My beefs with endocrinologists pretty much center on how they manage thyroid gland concerns, though they rarely win prizes for managing adrenal issues either. I don’t know any endocrinologists personally and rarely refer my patients to them. Occasionally, a patient with newly diagnosed hypothyroidism (low thyroid) will want to confirm the diagnosis with an endocrinologist. I suggest she prepare for a scolding if she’s taking Read More

• Six Beefs With Rheumatologists

If you find yourself in the waiting room of a rheumatologist, you’re likely there because your joints hurt and have been hurting, often for years. You’ve been getting by on aspirin or Advil for the pain, but with things worsening your primary care doctor suggests you should see a joint specialist, a rheumatologist. And because there’s a shortage of physicians in this specialty, your appointment Read More

• The Flu: How To Recognize It and What to Do

It’s here, folks, and this year could be a doozy. How do we know? We keep a watchful eye on Australia, whose winter and flu season occur six months before our own. The New York Times reported that “In 2017, a terrible flu season in Australia presaged an American outbreak in which 79,000 died. Experts advise getting the shot soon.” More here. You may have Read More

Join our Discount Program!

Member benefits include 10% off all your purchases. Low, one-time membership fee of $25 ($35 for family).

MORE INFORMATION