“Just Have Your Doctor Write A Letter…”

Once, a long time ago, when I was in third grade at Oglesby School some minor illness kept me at home watching afternoon TV. When I returned, a well meaning classmate asked “You got your note?” I’m certain beads of sweat appeared on my forehead. “What note?”

“Your note-for-being-absent.” He said it fast, like it was one word. “You got no note they send a truant officer to your house.”

I’d heard about truant officers, police who caught you playing hooky while you did something evil, like going to a Sox game on a Tuesday. Truant officers, I knew, looked like Nazi Joseph Goebbels, whose picture I’d seen in Life Magazine. Goebbels could put you in that most dreaded of institutions–reform school!

All because I didn’t bring my note.

I was on the verge of tears by the time I entered Miss Delaney’s classroom. She sweetly asked  “Bring your note? No? Just bring it tomorrow. Your Mom or Dad can write one, saying you were at home sick.” That was it. No Goebbels. No Audy Home for me.

I swore I’d never ever be note-less again
And yes, all through school until 8th grade I dutifully brought my excuse notes. But at the beginning of my last year in grammar school, I handed an excuse note to Miss Kostakes, a no-nonsense Greek woman with pitch-black hair and huge earrings.

“What’s this? A note? You’re giving me a note? David, you’re in 8th grade. Next year high school, then college, then I don’t know what. You’re finished with notes to the teacher.” And she handed it back.

She was right. For the rest of my education, if I didn’t get to class I might be marked absent, but grades became more dependent on the quality of your work and less on showing up. I wish my patients had it so lucky.

A PhD candidate at the University of Chicago who’d been out with the flu recently sent me a frantic email saying her professor wouldn’t let her back in class without a doctor’s note. “But you’re 30 years old, you’re a PhD candidate!”

She apologized, saying “It does sound ridiculous, doesn’t it?”

I write doctor notes for teachers to give to principals, for principals to give to their district supervisors, for floor nurses to give to head nurses, for associate administrators to give to whoever is one notch above them, and for minimum-wage food service and retail workers to give to their shift bosses.

Not surprisingly, I’ve never written a note for anyone in senior management.

What I don’t understand is why it seems everyone’s been thrust back into third grade. Maybe it’s just to remind employees how lowly they actually are in the scheme of things, mere messengers of the gods while physicians and shift supervisors become the authority figures.

Letters, we write letters
You should know that doctor offices generate far more than notes covering absences with the flu. In the past few weeks alone I’ve written letters to…

• Get someone excused from jury duty.
  • Refund an airline ticket.
  • Permit a cat in an otherwise cat-free condominium.
  • Break a lease on an apartment riddled with black mold.
  • Ask for some additional time on SAT exams.
  • Request a supportive chair at work (these are called workplace accommodation letters and it’s astonishing how architects/designers create environments/select furniture that make workers ill or give them backaches).
  • Help a woman get permission to turn off a fluorescent office light that triggered her migraines and be approved to use a desk lamp instead.

One man with airplane phobia needed a letter so he could take a train to a company meeting in New York. Another needed a private hotel room for the company’s annual business meeting because since childhood he’d been unable to sleep with someone else in the room.

Even more letters are generated by the changes in healthcare economics. Patients discover that once-covered benefits are a thing of the past. Pharmacists tell patients: “You need to ask your doctor to write a letter explaining why you need brand-name Ambien instead of generic zolpidem.” Or “Why, now that you’re 65, you still need your Adderall for ADD.” Or why you need a twice monthly massage for fibromyalgia.

Have your doctor write a letter explaining “Why you need…”  “Why you…”  “Why…”

Disability letters a study in corporate nastiness
Applying for disability falls into a category of its own. The gauntlet of red tape that an ill patient must run in order to receive disability benefits, even when she’s been paying the premiums herself, is brutal. The collective attitude on the part of disability insurance employees is a study in corporate nastiness (and they usually sign their letters anonymously, as in “Debbie C, Benefits”).

More than one patient has told me she burst into tears trying to explain her pain to someone who sincerely believed she was just ripping off her employer.

The letters from disability insurance companies are apparently intended to threaten the patient’s relationship with her doctor. The insurer asks variations of the following: “Please have your doctor give us a narrative report of your history, copies of diagnostic tests, and summary reports from other physicians. In the letter, have him describe all your treatments to date and your response to them. In addition, using the description of your workplace duties (enclosed), please have your doctor complete the enclosed three-page questionnaire summarizing your specific disabilities or lack thereof.”

These questionnaires are insanely specific. “Can she perform a pushing maneuver with her right hand of 0 pounds, 5 pounds, 10 pounds, 15 pounds, up to one hour a day? Two hours, five hours, eight hours? With a five-minute break every hour, 10 minutes, 15 minutes?”

If my patient can push 15 pounds for eight hours with a five-minute break then whoever’s requesting this better be nervous if he runs into the applicant in a dark alley. I try to explain to patients that the reason for these letters attempting to block disability or prevent them from getting a medication that’s worked for years is a combination of simple corporate greed and fear of job loss from the thousands of insurance employee underlings.

The health insurance company doesn’t want to spend the money on your brand-name sleep meds. “If you don’t like generic zolpidem (which costs about $10 a month) and prefer branded Ambien ($250 a month), buy it yourself. We’ll read your doc’s letter about this, but you don’t have a prayer.

Nobody reads these letters
Throughout 2014 I found myself writing more letters and filling out more forms than I’d ever done in my professional career. I regularly received e-mail from patients that began “I need a letter addressed to my….” often combined with “I’m attaching the form they want completed.”

I do appreciate that these letters are important and don’t want your bladder infection to be the cause of your unemployment. But understand it’s merely the physical piece of paper in your file they’re seeking. Nobody actually reads these letters.

Nobody except me and you.

I know this from numerous conversations with supervisors of all stripes in which they’ll ask me a question whose answer is the opening sentence of my letter. They respond with silence or “Oh, I guess I didn’t see that.”

Insurance companies rarely read them either. Once, when I had to write a seemingly endless series of letters over time to an insurance company justifying a particular lab test, I began inserting a random sentence from James Joyce’s Finnegan’s Wake into a random paragraph in my response. We never received one query asking about “But Noodynaady’s actual ingrate tootle is of come into the garner mauve and thy nice are stores of morning and buy me a bunch of iodines.”

Dr E’s Time-Wasting Reduction Act
I’ve decided to inaugurate 2015 with what I call the “Edelberg Time-Wasting Reduction Act” and here it is:

If you need a letter of any kind, write it yourself. If you can write a shopping list, believe me you can write a doctor’s note. Write it as if you’re me writing the letter about you, the patient. Keep it simple and don’t include every tiny thing you’re feeling. Be discreet and, please, no pleading. Get the dates of your illness correct.

Once you complete your first draft, send it to me as an attachment. I’ll read it, edit it for errors, translate it into doctor-speak as needed, transfer it to my letterhead, and mail or email it back to you. If you prefer, pick up a crisp hard copy at our front desk.

When you have a form to fill out, follow these steps:

1. Make a duplicate of the form.
  2. Fill in the duplicate as completely as you possibly can, including measurements (like weight and height) when required, estimates of your capabilities, and when you think you can return to part-time or full-time work.
  3. On the original, complete the patient portion only. Send both copies to me.
  4. But first make copies of your work and keep them in a file folder. Many insurance companies require updated reports and if nothing has changed, in the future you can always obliterate the old date with white correction fluid, insert the current date, and re-copy it.

I’ll check your forms for accuracy and complete the original using your information (as well as mine).

Why are we doing this? Physicians today are so swamped with time-wasting activities that they’re beginning to leave the profession as quickly as they can afford to. The new electronic medical records (EMRs) actually add a full hour to every physician’s workday.

As a bonus, if I incompletely filled out an EMR it’s reflected in a reduced reimbursement from insurers, kind of like the truant officer catching you out all over again.

Now it’s time for you guys to pitch in and waste some time yourself. Your doctors thank you in advance!

1. Tara says:

Wonderful and refreshing piece. It does seem sometimes like a world gone mad. I am going to print this and mail it to my harried doctor who has written numerous letters for me on work related disability issues.

2. johanna says:

We have t o collectively put a stop to insurance companies and government running our lives.

in defense of the flu know that it’s possible that the professor was concerned ofspreading an illness that is so rampant in Chicago and wanted to make sure the person was well

3. Sue Wormley says:

Thank you for your timely advice about St. John’s Wort as a replacement for SSRIs. My use of SSRIs started with severe hot flashes. I liked how they made me feel but the related RLS was horrible. For years I suffered. Then I switched to Welbutrin ~ gone with the RLS (thankfully) but mood was worse. After reading your article I began taking St. John’s Wort and worked myself off Welbutrin. All is well in my world! By the way I’m a good friend of Rockford’s high blood pressure attorney and his wife! They say hi! And I say, thank you for your humorous but excellent articles.
    Sue

4. John Pearson says:

I love the Finnegan’s Wake experiment. Not surprised no one said anything. The EOBs from insurance companies read like Jabberwocky and even the company’s CEOs can’t make heads or tails of them. You’re right, it’s just about having something in the file. If we tried to design a less efficient system from scratch, we’d find that a tough slog.

5. G says:

Really eye opening. Great post. Thanks for sharing and for the solutions you recommend. Sorry you have to write so many letters!

From Dr E—one more point
    In order to prevent that deer in the headlights look at the thought of writing your own doctor’s note, understand that virtually all of them begin with “I am the attending physician of (insert your name)…”
    Go to it, Shakespeare!

7. Kathy Bond says:

OMG! You had me laughing out loud twice when reading this. Especially the Finnegan’s Wake bit. Thanks for the laughs, Dr. E!

8. Kris says:

I’m with you on that, I can’t even tell you how many hours, maybe week I spent on hold and fighting with my insurance company last year for medical coverage. Finally got things settled, now it’s starting all over again this year for prescriptions. Thank you
    Dr. E for a smile today, I definitely needed it. I will follow through with you and letters when I need to.

9. Julia says:

I love your emails. Please keep them coming. They remind me why my husband closed his private medical practice (that I managed) in 2014 and took a non-clinical position. We are getting our sanity back by being out of that ever-increasing craziness.

10. Judy Kayser says:

Hi Dr. E. This works wonderfully. I used to do this for my neurologist. I always kept detailed records of my doctor and hospital stays, filled in the information on the form, copied it and sent the original to my doctor for his review and signature. It worked great, he appreciated it and it was done timely, which was important or otherwise the Nazi disability ins. company started threatening me which was very upsetting when ill.

11. Jill says:

Just wow. Entertaining read, though. Sheesh.

12. Carrie Andrzejewski says:

Great story/article. But you are the BEST letter writing doctor I have ever had. You put your heart into writing these letters/notes, I’m sure that why my workman’s comp. hasn’t been approved because my back doctor couldn’t write a detailed letter even if his life depended on it. Sure wish you took workman’s comp. cases then I wouldn’t of been sent home from an on the job injury w/them stating they don’t have any work for me even though I have been on light duty for over ten years (w/ a given position). So see some letters still need your personal touch, The Doctor Edelberg Touch. Have a healthy New Year Dr E. Carrie Andrzejewski

13. Niki says:

In the early ’90’s, I was making $4.25/hr at a restaurant that only gave managers health insurance. The company required a doctor’s note, if we called in sick, or we could be fired for an “unexcused absence.” The doctor required me to be seen, before he would write a note. His fee was $75. How do you pay for that on $4.25/hr? I wish I had thought to write my own doctor’s note!

14. i was diadnosed with copd and asmath from the veterans amm.i’am a viet nam veteran,with a rateing of 90% payable at 100% i have a service connecded diabetes ,and i think this copd and asmath is secondary to my diabetes.they did all the test on me,but says its not service conneced.i think their full of crap.i’ve read online it is.

15. Frank brennick says:

Hi ,just a quick question I’m in Ireland so things may be a wee bit differant here but do doctors normally use headed paper ?

16. Dr. R says:

Frank. “headed paper”? Not sure what this is.

17. Michelle johnson says:

I am actually having to try and get two letters from Drs to try and prove my mother in law who has dementia is ibcompacitated tated and can no longer make her own financial decisions and am hitting a brick wall

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

***WholeHealth for Winter Digestion
Saturday December 1, 2018, 10:30am-12:30pm
An Integrative Workshop with Yoga Therapist Renee Zambo, Dietitian Olivia Wagner, and Occupational Therapist Valarie McConville
Fee: $75.00 (includes take home materials and snacks)

Do you suffer from a sluggish digestive system, constipation, and/or bloating? Does it feel like those symptoms get worse as we head toward the holidays and winter season?  Are you looking for ways to optimize your digestion?

Join us for two valuable hours of digestive health and cleansing!

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

***Healing Touch for Focus, Creativity, and Stress Management
Thursday, December 6, 2018, 5:45-7:30
Katie Oberlin, HTCP/I
Healing Touch Certified Practitioner/Instructor
Fee: $55.00 (includes take-home materials)

Are you feeling overwhelmed and stressed at the end of the year? Want to find a way to feel less scattered and more focused? In this workshop, you will learn how to use energy healing to feel more centered and grounded so you can bring more clarity and creativity to your life and work.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

**Winter Solstice Celebration: Drumming Circle and Shamanic Healing
Wednesday, December 19, 2018, 5:45-7:30pm
Katie OberlinHTCP/I
Healing Touch Certified Practitioner/Instructor
Fee: $55.00

Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season to enter the stillpoint of the Winter Solstice, reflect on the lessons of 2018, and set intentions for the new year. This will be an evening of individual and group healing, ceremony, and celebration.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

• Getting Tough With Your Immune System

No reasonable physician (I modestly include myself here) can refrain from crowing delightedly when a clinical study confirms the value of a treatment he or she had been using for years, even if that treatment had contradicted prevailing standards. Ever since I learned something about natural medicine, I’ve been reluctant to prescribe antibiotics for respiratory tract infections, such as colds, sore throats, and bronchitis. Many physicians had Read More

• For A Longer Life…Stand Up Now!

By far the most common answer to my question, “Exercising these days?” is “Not enough.” This is usually accompanied by the briefest flicker of melancholy regret, as if by such a confession my patient has permanently abandoned the hopes and dreams of both a svelte body and enviable longevity. “Don’t worry,” I say, “It’s just a temporary glitch. You’ll start up again.” (Nod, nod). I Read More

• Getting Off Blood Pressure Meds Forever, Contaminated Or Not

If you’re currently taking a blood pressure medication, the chances are pretty good that you’re on one of the ARBs (angiotensin receptor blockers). You can recognize these because they end in -sartan, as in losartan and valsartan. You also may have heard that two of the most popular ARBs (valsartan and irbesartan) were abruptly withdrawn this year by the FDA and other agencies around the Read More

December Sale: 20% Off the UltraLux IV Light Box

Full Spectrum Solutions has been an industry leader for the past 20 years, offering therapeutic lighting that is made right here in the Midwest (Michigan). The UltraLux IV is the first and only LED light therapy unit on the market that is both fully adjustable. Unlike many of their competitors, they boast a high CRI rating (90+) and a lifetime warranty so you never have to purchase replacement bulbs again. Full spectrum light therapy is often recommended in cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) to help make up for the sunlight that is missing from these shorter, winter days.

To learn more about and purchase the UltraLux IV, click here.

To see past Health Tips on Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and Dr. Edelberg’s recommendations, including a full spectrum light box like the UltraLux IV, click here.