MSG In The News Again (And A Personal Story)

It’s seems we’ve always been worrying ourselves about the health consequences of MSG, the world’s most popular flavor enhancer. That’s because monosodium glutamate has been around for more than a century, invented by Japanese chemist Kikunae Ikeda in 1909, when the professor extracted a substance from a species of seaweed and realized it had a unique taste that wasn’t sweet, salty, sour, or bitter.

He named this new taste umami, and after toying around his lab discovered the sodium salt of the amino acid glutamate to be the best way to re-create it.

This taste, when added to food, literally tricks both your tongue and your brain into thinking whatever you’re eating tastes better than it actually does. When you sprinkle on commercially available MSG (sold as Accent) or a food manufacturer adds MSG, you’re basically adding umami-ness to your food. MSG is listed on labels under many guises, among them yeast extract, textured protein, and sodium caseinate.

“Wakes up food flavor”
Because we eat so much MSG, there have been understandable concerns about safety. The most publicized issue in recent years has been Chinese Restaurant Syndrome, first reported in a letter written in 1968 by Robert Kwok to the New England Journal of Medicine:

I have experienced a strange syndrome whenever I have eaten out in a Chinese restaurant, especially one that served northern Chinese food. The syndrome, which usually begins 15 to 20 minutes after I have eaten the first dish, lasts for about two hours, without hangover effect. The most prominent symptoms are numbness at the back of the neck, gradually radiating to both arms and the back, general weakness and palpitations.

As a result of the publicity, a lot of people started reporting episodes of turning beet red, sweating, and fanning their faces after downing a plate of moo shu pork, prompting Asian restaurant menus to reassure patrons that nothing contained MSG. Because this began taking on the appearance of an epidemic, researchers wondered if it was a real event or something else, like the effect of alcohol, a panic attack, or poor air conditioning in the restaurant. Several research projects were initiated and scientists set up double-blind, placebo-controlled studies testing clinical responses to MSG. In some studies, the worst reactions came from subjects given the placebo, confusing everybody. In others, nothing seemed consistent.

Now, 40 years later, the general consensus is this: some people are sensitive to large amounts of MSG and should probably avoid it. The syndrome has been renamed “MSG symptom complex” and should be regarded as seriously annoying rather than dangerous.

But can MSG actually be a threat to health?
Well, of course this depends on who you read. The FDA, whatever your opinion of it, lists MSG as safe. So does the head dietician at Mayo Clinic. This is also the position taken by most FDA-like organizations around the world. Their attitude apparently takes the approach that since MSG has been used for so long and in such great quantities, and because no chronic illnesses have been identified, it must be harmless.

At the other end, everyone’s favorite alarmist Joe Mercola, DO, discusses MSG in an article entitled “Is this silent killer lurking in your kitchen cabinets?” He refers to the work of neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock’s book Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills. Excitotoxins are a group of substances including both MSG and aspartame that “overexcite” brain and nerve cells literally to the point of cell death, causing learning disabilities in children, brain damage, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. By overexciting heart cells, the thinking is that excitotoxins lead to heart attacks and arrhythmias.

But Dr. Blaylock’s theories and opinions, interesting to both Dr. Mercola and me, really have not panned out clinically. For example, the US death rate from Alzheimer’s disease is ten times higher than that of Japan, one of the highest MSG-consuming nations on earth.

Full disclosure: I was an MSG-addicted latchkey kid
Are there health consequences of “making good food taste better?” Before I tell you about a newly published study, I have a personal experience to share. When I was about 12, I was a latchkey child, an only child with both parents working. I prepared my own supper, which I rather liked because I made whatever I wanted to eat and could eat as much as I wanted. While making a hamburger one evening, I discovered the little red box of Accent and sprinkled some on. “Wow!” I said, “That was the best hamburger I ever ate!” It was so good in fact, I made another.

The next day I really looked forward to going home and cooking. And eating. And buying my own boxes of Accent. Fried chicken? Pork chops? The best! It even turned my Campbell’s soup, Hormel chili, Dinty Moore beef stew, and Chef Boyardee ravioli into succulent gastronomic delights.

And by the time I was 13, I’d gained about 40 (yes, 40) pounds without any appreciable vertical thrust. I was clinically classified as an obese child, taken to an obesity specialist (the term “bariatric” had not yet been invented), and prescribed an assortment of pills–probably amphetamine appetite suppressants–which I popped throughout the day. As anyone who’s overweight knows, it takes years of hard work to get the weight down and keep it off. My weight has been a struggle ever since.

So the question becomes, “Does MSG cause food cravings, obesity, and put you at risk for the consequences of obesity?”

Like nicotine?
The latest studies give credence to the idea that MSG is a lot like nicotine, making us addicted to food. We eat more and gain weight. The most prevalent health issue in developed countries around the world is obesity, and in the wake of obesity we develop so-called metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes, and fatty liver.

One fact is worthy of special attention: our worldwide weight gain aligns neatly with the worldwide increased consumption of MSG.

When groups of lab mice were given food enhanced with MSG, they all became more obese than non-MSG mice; many developed a fatty liver. In an earlier study in China, working with people rather than mice, researchers tracking more than 10,000 apparently healthy adults according to their MSG use found a direct correlation between obesity and the MSG content of their daily diets.

So, yes, the real danger of MSG is that it does its job too well. Once we like our food “umamied,” we’re hooked. And just like containers of Chinese food, here’s a no-surprise take-away: processed foods and commercially prepared foods often have an addictive potential because they contain MSG or one of its many aliases. We’re surrounded by cheap, nutritionally mediocre food with MSG-enhanced flavors and that MSG excites our taste buds and brains.

We eat and eat and eat.

BTW, to avoid MSG, buy whole foods, prepare them yourself, and hold the Accent. Read more here about foods that naturally contain umami, from seaweed, Parmesan, and caramelized mushrooms to fish sauce, and enjoy the deeply satisfying taste in your home-cooked meals.

1. Addie says:

But the same question remains: Why doesn’t Japan have the obesity problem we do?

2. Rom Slimak says:

Interesting article about MSG. One problem, however, is that the “latest studies” part fails to address the issue that Japan, one of the largest users of MSG, does not have the extreme obesity problem that exists here.

I thought of that myself and then considered where the Japanese use their MSG (think miso soup) as opposed to the U.S. (flavored potato chips).

4. Linda Sauer says:

MSG is a problem for me. Another good article Dr E! We managed to find a restaurant in Crest Hill that serves MSG free food, except for their egg rolls which is not an easy task. Every afternoon the workers sit together shelling fresh pea pods so there is at least one fresh veggies in their food. We don’t eat processed food and I make everything from scratch to avoid corn products and cut back on sodium. We do notice when we eat food in restaurants and other people’s homes we are fighting over the water during the drive home as both of us are bloated and thirsty. The standard American diet is loaded with mystery products.

5. Beth Wolszon says:

My mother suffered from an MSG allergy that gave her a rash all over her body. It was so bad she felt that her skin was on fire. She could not sleep, and lost a lot of weight because she felt so bad she didn’t want to eat. After no dermatologists could tell what it was, Dr. Edelberg diagnosed it as a food allergy and I was able to identify it as MSG. I learned a lot about MSG in trying to help her, and it is NOT an ingredient that any of us should want to eat. That’s hard to do because MSG is very, very pervasive in our food supply (even sprayed on some grapes to make them grow faster). I hope they keep doing the research to prove the negative impact that real people are experiencing.

6. Addie says:

To Dr. E: But then we’re back to square one. The problem is then potato chips vs, miso, and the MSG becomes irrelevant.

7. fm smith says:

just to be clear, miso soup, shitake mushrooms,
    parmesan cheese, tomatos are examples of naturally occurring glutamates and therefore less of a problem?

8. Janet hart says:

If MSG does make you gain weight, why are there so few
    over weight Asians?

Hi Janet
    The Asians are adding the MSG to essentially low calorie foods like fish and miso soup. We Americans add it to potato chips, breading for fried chicken and pork chops, and numerous high fat processed foods

10. Louise witkin-Berg says:

I enjoy your newsletters, you honesty, and humor tucked in them too. Louise

11. Robert Radycki says:

Excellent article again! My wife is my barometer for foods with MSG. Within minutes of consumption her knuckles swell up and she aches all over. We go out of our way to ascertain if foods have MSG added, but it is a difficult task. Just as a writer communicated above the egg rolls are massed produced items outside of the purview of the restaurant chefs and thus contain ingredients like MSG.

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

**Pain Relief with Myofascial Balls
Tuesday, October 29, 6-8pm
With Renee Zambo, C-IAYT Yoga Therapist

Course Fee: $65.00
(includes WholeHealth Chicago Myofascial Release Kit, $40 value)

Does that same spot in your neck, shoulders, back or hips seem to bother you every day? Do you have joint aches and pains in the hands and feet? Would you like to learn ways to alleviate that pain and tension?

Join WholeHealth Chicago’s Yoga and Movement Therapist Renee Zambo for an evening of muscle tension release with myofascial therapy balls.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

• Dandruff, Fungi, and Cancer of the Pancreas

It’s an eye-catching title, I’ll admit. But the links are quite real and further research may guide medicine in new directions of cancer prevention and treatment. It all starts in your gut microbiome, the totality of microorganisms–bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi–present in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract, mouth to anus. Until recently, researchers and clinical physicians alike paid virtually no attention to the microbiome and the Read More

• New Hope For Sinus Sufferers

When osteopath Dr. Rob Ivker moved to Colorado in the 1980s to set up his family practice, he had no idea that when he stepped off the plane he’d succumb to symptoms of chronic sinusitis that just wouldn’t go away: stuffy nose, thick mucus, pressure behind his cheekbones and above his eyebrows, dull aching headache, and thick goopy drainage in the back of his throat. Read More

• Director of IV Therapies Katie McManigal, BSN, ANP

Most people at some point in their lives have had an intravenous (IV) line. An adept nurse warned you about the tiny pinch of the needle as it was smoothly inserted and taped in place.  Then the  fluid dangling above your head slowly started making its way through a tube and into your body. IVs are all over the place in hospitals. They’re seen in Read More

October Sale – Save 20% off UltraMeal Rice

UltraMeal RICE is a tasty, non-dairy, nutritionally fortified, powdered meal replacement for those who want to support healthy body composition but may be sensitive to soy.

Click here to take advantage of this month’s promotion!