Six Commonly Missed Diagnoses: Candida (Yeast)

Posted 06/18/2012

Back in 1993, several weeks before the opening of what would be known as  WholeHealth Chicago, I was summoned to the office of the chief of medicine at the hospital where I was a staff member. The chief had heard rumors I was opening a center that would combine conventional and alternative practitioners and he wanted to take the opportunity to express his disapproval. A generally unpleasant man and very full of himself, he looked as if he wanted to grab my tie (had I been wearing one) as he snarled, “Are you going to be one of those candida quacks?”

I had absolutely no idea what he was talking about, but I made a mental note to ramp up my education on candida. Apparently this was a big issue for people who had holistic medical centers.

Candida, full name Candida albicans, is a microorganism that lives in our gastrointestinal tracts. The candida population is held in check by the multiple billions of bacteria that share space with it. When the population of bacteria plummets, most commonly after a broad-spectrum antibiotic is taken for an extended period, overgrowth of candida can occur, usually manifesting in women as a vaginal yeast infection.

These vaginal infections are well recognized by conventional doctors, and definitely not what was getting my chief’s knickers in a twist.

In the early 1970s, two physicians working separately, William Crook and C.O. Truss, proposed a syndrome they’d observed primarily in women who had taken antibiotics for weeks or months, usually for acne. The main symptoms were digestive (gas, bloating, diarrhea) with recurring vaginal yeast infections. In time, Dr Crook added numerous other symptoms to his list, including fatigue, brain fog, sinus congestion, skin rashes, and the development of food sensitivities. Because he was unable to get his research into mainstream medical journals, Dr Crook self-published The Yeast Connection. And knowing he’d receive little acceptance from his medical colleagues, he included a questionnaire to help readers with self-diagnosis and self-treatment, using diet changes and nutritional supplements.

But because the information went to the general public before being broadly accepted by physicians, readers (mainly women) who diagnosed themselves with “yeast overgrowth” encountered a wall of unexpected hostility, irritation, and disbelief from their physicians. They’d arrive, The Yeast Connection in hand, questionnaire carefully completed, and face a look of withering contempt from their doctors. “Yeast,” by the way is a misnomer—your bread doesn’t rise because it has candida. For more on that, click here.

It didn’t help the situation that articles denying the existence of candida overgrowth actually did appear in medical journals in response to this rising public interest. And it really (really!) did not help the situation that Dr Crook, aware of the resistance, marketed his book mainly to alternative practitioners (chiropractors, naturopaths, nutritionists). While this tactic made Dr Crook a millionaire, it resulted in two unfortunate consequences.

First, the separation between the “yes-candida-exists” camp and “no-it-doesn’t” camp grew wider because candida was adding fuel to the longstanding hostility between conventional and alternative practitioners. This, I soon realized, accounted for the hostility of my chief toward my nascent holistic center. Second, and of equal concern, candida overgrowth became vastly overdiagnosed by alternative practitioners because they “owned it.”

“Your arm hurts? Must be candida!” “Tired? It’s your candida!” Or even “My intuition tells me your body is filled with candida” (a very Stephen King image, eh?). At the same time, candida was vastly underdiagnosed by conventional doctors who should have known better. (“I know you’ve been taking antibiotics for a year and have daily vaginal infections, but there’s no such thing as yeast overgrowth.)

Now, almost 40 years later, this bickering continues. Patients, mainly women, continue to hear “I think you have candida” from alternative practitioners of every stripe, including well-meaning health food store clerks, and then face a barely repressed sneer from their physicians and a “No, you don’t. There’s no such thing.”

Not surprisingly, the truth lies somewhere in between. Isn’t that just like life?
If you’ve taken a prolonged course of a broad-spectrum antibiotic (which triggers an ecological catastrophe against the helpful bacteria in your intestines) and you’ve developed protracted digestive symptoms and especially if you now have recurring vaginal yeast infections, then indeed you may have candida overgrowth syndrome.

Other risk factors for developing candida overgrowth can include (but definitely not necessarily) taking birth control pills or oral corticosteroid drugs (such as prednisone) or being diabetic (having high blood sugar). Contrary to popular belief, a high-sugar diet doesn’t predispose you to candida. If this were the case, the entirety of western civilization, devouring as it does 120 pounds of sugar per person annually, would be suffering from candida.

Candida rates a “frequently missed diagnosis” in this series simply because it’s so thoroughly and deliberately ignored by conventional physicians. Symptoms reported by their patients are not taken seriously and many doctors are reluctant to order the relatively simple tests that prove or disprove the diagnosis (or even hostile to the suggestion). The three diagnostic tests are: a stool sample sent to a microbiology lab for microscopic examination and culture of candida, a blood test for the presence of antibodies to candida, and, if needed, a vaginal discharge microscopic examination and culture.

Once a candida diagnosis is confirmed, treatment is fairly straightforward. Prescription anti-candida medications (fluconazole, nystatin) are safe and effective. For those averse to prescription meds, several natural remedies (grapefruit seed extract, caprylic acid, garlic) are effective as well. You’ll also need a good probiotic to replenish the bacteria in your intestines.

A healthful diet is always a good idea, but the extremely restrictive eating plan originally proposed by Dr Crook is really not necessary. Even he backed off its almost painful austerity in his later years. Although virtually all patients report feeling vastly better on an anti-candida diet, this doesn’t mean they necessarily have candida, but rather that anyone would feel better after eliminating junk and processed foods, simple carbs, and sugar.

My associate Casey Kelley, MD has been especially interested in candida overgrowth syndrome and, working with our nutritionists Marla FeingoldSeanna Tully, and Marcy Kirshenbaum has developed an extremely effective program that will establish once and for all whether or not a patient has candida and help those who do finally get rid of it.

I think of them as the queens of candida.

PS: Some of you might be pleased to know that candida was the subject of a musical. Written by the same team who gave Broadway “Urinetown,” the musical “Yeast Nation” enjoyed short runs in both New York and Chicago despite only so-so reviews. The CD does not exist.

1. rajrani chand says:

Dr. E.
    I know it has been awhile since I last saw you. I am still on my wellness journey. I was told to do a 15 day cleanse of yeast, sugar, canned goods, vinegar. Take Can-sol and acidophilus,
    I am wondering if you have heard of this one? Havent had the symptons you shared but I have been told I do have yeast overgrowth in my system. Thanks

2. Sharon Rukin says:

Yes… because the diagnosis of Candida is for the best . . . in this best of all worlds. And Bernstein set that to the best of music as well. Thanks for the P.S.

3. Jude Mathews says:

Any reason a man couldn’t have candida overgrowth?

4. Colleen Jersild says:

Some years ago I was ill-losing weight, endless diarrhea, etc. went to my doctor at Northwestern who said I was fine and not to worry, then went to a nutritionist who through testig diagnosed Candida. When I went back to Northwestern with that information the doctor said , “Oh, we don’t test for that at Northwestern!”. i went on a strong probiotic and the diet, repeated the blood work 3 months later and was cured and the condition has not returned.

5. Lori Miller says:

Thanks you for all your great columns. They have been very helpful. Renowned herbalist Stephen Buhner recommends 10-undecenoic acid. By Thorne it is Formula SF722. I have found this helpful.

Wish you lived near Asheville, NC

Yes, men can definitely get candida overgrowth. They’re given lengthy antibiotic courses for acne and sinusitis, and then do develop the digestive symptoms of candida. Vaginally endowed women get a warning that something’s amiss when they start getting endless yeast infections. Men lack this warning system

Ah, Northwestern! It must be a blessing to work in such a candida-free environment that no one ned bother ever testing for it

8. Sherrill Johnson says:

I’m all too familiar with Candida problems. I have severe adrenal insufficiency. By the time I finally discovered what was making me so ill there was so little function I had to begin taking Cortef. Having Candida issues for some time before the adrenal problems, they have become more difficult to keep under control because of the Cortef, as well as “poor digestion”. Since Candida are tough adaptable little critters I’m afraid to take anything, such as garlic, etc, for too long for fear of them developing an immunity. Even with probiotics, digestive enzymes and dietary changes I feel as though it is a losing battle. Was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

9. Jim Stephens says:

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate the concern for woman as many of their issues are dismissed by M.D.’s. Just an encouragement to keep men in mind in these articles as well. I have had adrenal fatigue, low seratonin, hypothyroidism and candida etc. One wouldn’t know men could have candida based on this article. Thanks!

10. Brooke Young says:

Is there a connection between candida overgrowth and mold-related illness / mold hypersensitivity? Does Dr. Edelberg have a protocol for treating the latter conditions? I am suffering terribly with mold-related illness symptoms and extreme hypersensitivity.

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

**Pain Relief with Myofascial Balls
Tuesday, October 29, 6-8pm
With Renee Zambo, C-IAYT Yoga Therapist

Course Fee: $65.00
(includes WholeHealth Chicago Myofascial Release Kit, $40 value)

Does that same spot in your neck, shoulders, back or hips seem to bother you every day? Do you have joint aches and pains in the hands and feet? Would you like to learn ways to alleviate that pain and tension?

Join WholeHealth Chicago’s Yoga and Movement Therapist Renee Zambo for an evening of muscle tension release with myofascial therapy balls.

Please register online.
Call the Center for additional information at (773) 296-6700

• Dandruff, Fungi, and Cancer of the Pancreas

It’s an eye-catching title, I’ll admit. But the links are quite real and further research may guide medicine in new directions of cancer prevention and treatment. It all starts in your gut microbiome, the totality of microorganisms–bacteria, viruses, protozoa, and fungi–present in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract, mouth to anus. Until recently, researchers and clinical physicians alike paid virtually no attention to the microbiome and the Read More

• New Hope For Sinus Sufferers

When osteopath Dr. Rob Ivker moved to Colorado in the 1980s to set up his family practice, he had no idea that when he stepped off the plane he’d succumb to symptoms of chronic sinusitis that just wouldn’t go away: stuffy nose, thick mucus, pressure behind his cheekbones and above his eyebrows, dull aching headache, and thick goopy drainage in the back of his throat. Read More

• Director of IV Therapies Katie McManigal, BSN, ANP

Most people at some point in their lives have had an intravenous (IV) line. An adept nurse warned you about the tiny pinch of the needle as it was smoothly inserted and taped in place.  Then the  fluid dangling above your head slowly started making its way through a tube and into your body. IVs are all over the place in hospitals. They’re seen in Read More

October Sale – Save 20% off UltraMeal Rice

UltraMeal RICE is a tasty, non-dairy, nutritionally fortified, powdered meal replacement for those who want to support healthy body composition but may be sensitive to soy.

Click here to take advantage of this month’s promotion!