The WholeHealth Healing Cave

The office lease describes our place as “lower level,” which any Chicagoan knows is a euphemism for basement. Some cities call these locations garden apartments, which generally means ground level, your apartment fair game for ants and burglars.

We at WholeHealth Chicago are well below ground level.

My partner Dr. Paul Rubin and I knew we were renting what’s essentially a very large basement when we signed our first lease 11 years ago, but there were also other health care professionals in these types of underground offices on Lincoln Avenue: doctors, dentists, psychologists, even a division of Children’s Memorial Hospital. We both liked the idea of free parking for our patients, which the lease included. But as 11 years went by, saying the word “basement” aloud seemed a bit déclassé and thus we never described the place as anything except “our office.”

Then, a couple of weeks ago, I got a fresh perspective on our center from a new patient. She entered her occupation as “professor,” teaching as she does at one of the city’s major universities.

“Oh my,” she began when I escorted her to the examining room, “A healing cave. I am actually going to see my new doctor in a healing cave.”

I agreed that WholeHealth Chicago had a definite cave-like feel to it. Leaving the street behind, you go down a few stairs and enter the reception area. From your seat in the waiting room, looking out the windows above you, there’s mainly sky, the tops of buildings across the street, and if you stand up maybe a few kneecaps of passersby.

As you’re led down one of our hallways by your practitioner, you may descend even further, ending up in a very quiet, often dimly lit, always windowless room. We ourselves think this is all quite cozy and oddly enough none of us ever complains of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), probably because we don’t actually experience any of the seasonal changes going on outside.

My new patient was a professor of cultural anthropology, and I asked her about healing caves.

“Do you have any idea how ancient the concept of a healing cave actually is?” she began. “In virtually every culture in the world, anthropologists have discovered evidence that healers lived in caves. There were two groups of ancient healers–the shaman and the wise woman. The shamans connected with the spirit world and had a spiritual place that was essentially off-limits to everyone else, like a mountaintop or cave.

“But the real healers were the women, and no matter where you travel doing cave archeological digs you’ll find evidence that caves were a place for healing.”

I knew about the wise women and added how very unfortunate it was that as civilization progressed, various organized religions relabeled and often burned these women as witches. No shortage of fairy tales place the evil witch in a cave.

We had both seen the recent Werner Herzog film Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a documentary in which Herzog had exclusive access to the astonishing Cave of Chauvet-Pont-d’Arc, a dwelling from 20,000 years ago whose walls are lined with well-preserved paintings, some of the oldest art known to man. The caves may well have been used as centers for magical healing, and I found myself thinking during the movie that the cave would make a nice holistic center and spa.

The professor/patient then asked: “Are you up on your Carl Jung?”

“Uh, no.”

“Jung had a lot to say about caves and you can probably guess where this might lead. Any natural shelter that protects you, like a cave, appears in creation myths as a Great Mother or Earth Goddess. Caves were holy places of purity, so it would be natural for a healer to dwell in a cave. In Jungian terms, a cave represents the unconscious. To go into a cave means self-exploration and maybe undergoing a little transformation.”

Healing and transformation
Healing and transformation sounded like a great prescription for anybody. Naturally, I was a bit taken aback by all this information, but really pleased with the idea of WholeHealth Chicago sharing a link with ancient healers. Add the Jungian perspective and well…wow!

I now could make an educated guess about something that had always piqued my curiosity. In Manhattan, many physicians of every specialty practice in ground-level offices, usually on the lowest floor of some immense apartment building. I remember when I visited one of these offices a few years back stepping down a few stairs, thinking “This is just like entering a cave.”

Maybe something very ancient just attracts doctors to caves.

It also helped clarify the possible reasons patients say they’re so uncomfortable going to the vast, castle-like medical centers around Chicago. People build castles when they’re rich and powerful and can afford to surround themselves with high walls, moats, and security guards.

A commoner summoned to the castle would expect to fork over money, get drafted into an army, and be tortured or decapitated. Nowadays, the castles of Northwestern and Rush hospitals and the Blue Cross building may no longer physically torture us (consistently), but they’re hardly cozy.

In fact, they’re quite skilled at frustrating and confusing our lives. Franz Kafka’s novel The Castle can easily be read as a statement about the impersonal bureaucracy of the American health care system.

Thanks to the professor-patient, I got a completely new perspective on the place where I’ve been working for more than a decade.

And as I walk through our corridors, see our practitioners in their chambers, patients in the waiting room sipping tea and noodling smart phones, I can think, like dairyman Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof, “Tradition!”

1. Marguerite Hill says:

Love the article and analogy. Well done!

2. Deb says:

Reminds me of the old Clan of the Cave Bear series where the healers lived in caves.

3. alice enichen says:

I have a wonderful book that I will bring you about a healing cave. I often use the image and wish I was there when I need nurturing. Alice

4. Ann Raven says:

This is really sweet, thoughtful and true!

5. Joanne Petersen says:

I just love your newsletters. Hope some day to have the means to become a patient in your practice. I have a feeling it would be transformational.

6. Pat Conley says:

I have done the NYC “caves” as well as the Lincoln Avenue “cave”…now I wonder,
    am I actually attracted(in some way) to
    medical providers who practice in caves?
    Having just moved again, I will be looking
    for a new cave~there really is something to the concept….

7. Rita Hernandez says:

There have been two places where I practiced Tai Chi frequently: on the “hill” in the park at Montrose beach (there’s only one “hill”) and secondly, in a friend’s basement where the big group still meets. And yes, that felt like a cave. Interesting.

Native Americans go into their cave-like tepees (huts) for spiritual cleansing and purification.

Interesting. Thank you.

xo Rita

8. Judy Kayser says:

I am fortunate to have been a patient of yours long enough to have been to your previous office as well and this is by far the cozier and more welcoming office. I like the idea of a healing cave.

9. Carol Poynter says:

This is really cool. I wondered lately why I gravitate to cave-like places, especially when I’m on vacation and have time to rest. I look forward to renting the movie you suggested. Thanks!

10. Diana Neimy says:

AHHHhhhhhhh…….

I love your articles and have slowing started vicariously falling in love with not only your healing cave, but your practitioners as well.

The time is nearing that I will have to visit you! I can just feel it!

Get health recommendations, recipes, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

**Winter Solstice Celebration: An evening of Acupuncture and Shamanic Healing
Tuesday, December 17, 5:45–7:30pm
Hosted by Katie Oberlin, HTCP and Mari Stecker, LAc

Course Fee: $75.00

Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season to enter the stillpoint of the Winter Solstice, reflect on the lessons of 2019, and set intentions for the new year. This will be an evening of individual and group healing, ceremony, and celebration. More →

• Ten Drugs Doctors Should Consider De-Prescribing

Physicians use the word polypharmacy when a patient is taking five or more prescription drugs daily. A recent survey showed that half of women Medicare recipients were taking five or more drugs daily, and 12% of them were taking ten (!) or more. New patients frequently arrive at WholeHealth Chicago carrying bags stuffed like piñatas with prescription drugs and nutritional supplements, the latter recommended by Read More

• Toxic Metals, Heart Disease, and Chelation Therapy

In last week’s Health Tip I reviewed the well-researched health dangers of environmental toxic metals (also called heavy metals). They’ve always been a serious health risk, but with the Trump Administration’s recent rollbacks of clean air and water regulations we can expect even more trouble ahead. Statisticians predict an astonishing 160,000 unnecessary deaths over the next decade from the reversals of clean air and water Read More

• Heavy Metal Toxicity and Your Health

For those who were otherwise preoccupied that day long ago in high school chemistry, the heavy metals refer to a group of especially dense metals or metal-like substances (called metalloids) found in the environment. These metals–specifically lead, mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and aluminum–can all be absorbed by your body and stored there. Our environment is already quite toxic (Trump’s EPA deregulations aren’t helping) and it’s getting Read More

This month, save 20% off all Metagenics Medical Foods