Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and conditions, alternative therapies, nutrition, nutritional supplements, and much more. Acupuncture / Traditional Chinese Medicine Aging Allergies & Food Sensitivities Alternative Therapies Big Pharma Evils Bone Health Candida (Yeast) and Parasites Cardiovascular Health Case Studies Chiropractic & Physical Medicine Dermatology Digestion Diseases Ear, Nose & Throat Environmental Sensitivities Eye Care Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Fitness & Exercise Health Insurance Issues Healthy Lifestyle Immune System Inflammation Integrative Medicine Lyme Disease & Morgellons Men's Health Mental Health Nutrition, Nutritional Supplements, Vitamins, & Herbal Remedies Pain Management Sexual Health Thyroid, Adrenal, & Sex Hormone Issues Weight Issues Women's Health

A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth

Here’s another persistent patient story, a woman who endured years of symptoms and no definite answers. Then, six months ago, when her symptoms went into high gear, she knew she had to do something.

I first met Claudia, a bright, healthy looking woman, just a few weeks ago. She told me her longstanding digestive symptoms had started in her teens, manifesting as bloating, gas, and nausea after meals. Despite being written off as irritable bowel syndrome, she could detect no correlation to stress or food sensitivities. For Claudia, eating itself was never a pleasurable experience. In fact, once after a particularly stressful relationship when she became depressed and briefly stopped eating much at all, her digestive symptoms actually went away.

In her thirties, by avoiding junk foods she did a little better, but she was never “just fine.” Then, out of the blue, about six months ago, she began having a truly awful taste in her mouth, described as “bitter, sour, acid-y, disgusting!”

Again she played detective and tried to locate culprit foods, but she could find nothing consistent. By eating small meals, the vile taste would relent for a couple hours, but inevitably it would return. Claudia also mentioned she’d been having chronic vaginal yeast infections every four or five weeks, each severe enough to require treatment.

She took her problems to a gastroenterologist who suggested she take Nexium (to block acid production), but it had absolutely no effect. Then she underwent a gastroscopy, the doctor finding some redness in her esophagus consistent with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, aka acid reflux or heartburn). He told her to double her Nexium. When Claudia tried it, her symptoms dramatically worsened. He suggested she keep taking the Nexium, but she chose not to and cancelled further appointments with him.

Next Claudia went to her colon therapist, my friend Alyce Sorokie at Partners in Wellness, who, after listening to her symptoms, suggested she try a particular supplement. Within a few days Claudia felt fine, the vile taste gone and her digestive misery also a memory. She felt better than she had in years. Not to disparage her gastroenterologist, but if he’d seen the supplement, he would have had his own “Aha!” moment and understood why his Nexium made everything worse. He also might have suggested some additional testing that would have been both uncomfortable and expensive, but wouldn’t have changed Claudia’s treatment one iota.

Hypochlorhydria
Claudia had made an appointment with me prior to receiving her supplement from Alyce, wanting an MD to explain just what was going on and why she needed this particular supplement. I explained that what she had was called hypochlorhydria, the medical term for when a person’s stomach isn’t producing enough acid to digest food. It’s actually far more common than people realize. The cause can be genetic or secondary to a separate condition, like hypothyroidism (low thyroid) or an autoimmune disorder that destroys the acid-producing cells in the stomach.

Most often, because people have varying amounts of stomach acid, hypochlorhydria just appears, sometimes starting early in life as mild chronic indigestion and then slowly worsening.

The condition is not all that easy to diagnose, and probably explains why hypochlorhydria is often overlooked as a possible cause of digestive symptoms. Strictly speaking, to diagnose it the doctor needs a rather expensive device called a Heidelberg machine that measures the acidity (pH) of the stomach. When I telephoned two gastroenterologists, neither owned one. Interestingly, when gastroenterologists are down there in your stomach with their gastroscopes, they’re endlessly looking for evidence of too much acid (“redness,” “ulcers”) and hunting for the ulcer-causing bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), but they don’t check for insufficient acid.

Also, probably in response to the bloated advertising budgets of Big Pharma, gastroenterologists (and family practitioners and internists as well) routinely prescribe the acid-reducing drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)—including Nexium, Prevacid, AcipHex, and Dexilant–for just about every digestive symptom known.

As you might have guessed, because the job of PPIs is to reduce stomach acid, giving a PPI to someone with hypochlorhydria only makes matters worse, as it did when Claudia doubled her Nexium dose. In addition, deigning to recommend something as mundane as a nutritional supplement is beneath the dignity of most gastroenterologists, so patients with hypochlorhydria often go untreated for years.

Your impressive GI tract
To understand Claudia’s symptoms, picture your gastrointestinal (GI) tract as the long continuous tube it is, one end of which you wipe with a linen napkin, the other with Charmin. The GI system is really an external organ, a continuation of your skin (note how it turns inward at your lips). Gastroenterologists jokingly think of themselves as hard-working dermatologists.

When you take a bite of anything–from a Big Mac to that $500 meal over at Alinea–your teeth grind the food to a pulp that your mouth mixes with digestive enzyme-laden saliva, and after a few seconds it all plunges southward toward your stomach. Yes, there’s something undeniably ephemeral about fine dining. Once in your stomach, the whole mess is churned with pure hydrochloric acid and still more enzymes into a thick sludge called chyme (pronounced kim with a long i). Burger King chyme and Alinea chyme would be visibly indistinguishable from each other, but fortunately everything is far removed from your visual field and you can continue to enjoy your meal.

Your stomach then forces the chyme into the 22 feet of your small intestine for further digestion plus the absorption of all the nutrients you need to keep going in life. Once the nutrients have been extracted, the chyme is propelled into your large intestine, where excess fluid is extracted and…you know the rest.

With hypochlorhydria, the whole process grinds to a halt. Your chewed-up food is held in your stomach, feeling like dead weight, needing more acid to break it down and convert it to chyme. As Claudia described, the act of eating becomes distinctly unpleasurable. The vile taste she experienced comes from slowly putrefying food, sitting there. Vaginal Candida overgrowth is a common side effect of hypochlorhydria because inadequate acid throws off the balance of good and bad bacteria, allowing yeast to flourish. Not surprisingly, certain nutritional deficiencies also develop, notably vitamin B-12, which requires stomach acid to be absorbed.

A simple supplement restores Claudia to balance
The supplement Alyce handed Claudia was Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL). When taken about 30 minutes before a meal, it converts into enough stomach acid to digest food. Both Alyce and I often add digestive enzymes as well, and might also suggest beginning each meal with a teaspoon of bitter herbs to stimulate the body’s own acid and enzyme production.

One interesting sidelight of betaine is its use for people whose GERD has failed to respond to PPI acid blockers. While it’s extremely counterintuitive to add still more acid for a condition that seems to be caused by too much acid, when Alan Gaby, MD, author of Clinical Nutrition explains it, betaine makes sense. With hypochlorhydria, there is some acid present, but the stomach retains the chyme awaiting more. As the stomach keeps churning the food, even though the overall amount of acid is small the excessive churning causes some backflow of acid that’s experienced as reflux.  Adding more acid (using betaine) signals your stomach to release the chyme into your intestine.

Thanks to a simple and inexpensive supplement, Claudia’s vile taste is now history. And her yeast infections too.

1. Amie says:

Thanks dr, I’m still confused about what to take. I get a salty taste which is making throat sore. One minute I’m taking apple cider vinegar then next enzymes, but very confused what to use. I found apple cider helped but hurts my throat. I have trouble digesting meats & fats. My stomach isn’t working right it’s like everything I eat causing it, I eat do healthy. Sometimes I find undigestive food in stools. I’m currently taking probiotics aswell. It’s affecting my life, I gave up bread & dairy but I don’t think it’s what I’m putting in its how it’s not digesting

2. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Amie – It’s not entirely clear what type of therapy you need to be pursuing, and very difficult to help guide treatment over a forum like this. Seeing your physician and going over your history, symptoms, and testing makes the most sense. If you don’t feel like you’re getting anywhere with your current doc, perhaps seeing one of our medical physicians here at WholeHealth would be a good next step. If we’re not convenient to your location, please take a look at the physician referral site at The Academy for the Advancement of Medicine at http://www.acam.org/ or at the American Holistic Medical Association’s practitioner referral site at http://www.healthy.net/scr/PractitionerSearch.aspx?AssocId=36.
    -Dr. M

3. Renee says:

My son has this acid taste in his mouth all the time and his tounge get numb. He was checked by a functional medicine doctor and told he had low stomach acid and given the betaine/pepsin & digestible (enzymes). He took these under the doctor’s care for 2 months but his symptoms only got worse. He is off everything now. His stools are completely undigested and move through him extremely quickly. Over the past 2 years we have been to gastrointerologists, herbalists, functional medicine doctors. We don’t know where to turn. Can you help us?

Hi Renee
    Two tests would be helpful
    1. intestinal transit time (how quickly xray contrast material goes from stomach to large intestine)
    2. breath test for SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth).
    As you can see from this link, the symptoms of SIBO are numerous

5. Sandy Matuschak says:

What is the recommended dose of Betaine HCL? Also, you mentioned to take it 30 min before eating, but the directions on various brands that I’ve seen say to take with food and never on empty stomach? It also says not to take if only eating a salad or fruit and mainly with protein (generally some sort of meat) so I’m confused. I’ve had this same history and strong acidic taste in mouth over last few years, the taste has recently become worse and for most of the day (I’m usually okay upon waking and it increases throughout the day). I just purchased this product which includes pepsin and opted for the 250mg capsules as could increase. I ended up taking 2 with dinner last night & 2 with breakfast/lunch. Cannot notice a change yet but less than 24 hrs since first dose and uncertain of the usual starting dose?

6. Penny says:

Where can i get this from? I too have a vile taste, everything tastes bitter even inhaling fresh air ! Blood tests are normal . Oral hygiene is good.at my witz end please help!

7. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Penny – Which supplement are you looking for? I’d be happy to help you find a resource.
    Best,
    Dr. M

Hi Sandy
    Take your new supplements right when you start eating and generally they’re recommended for meals containing protein, fats, complex carbs (which is actually then most meals). A salad really doesn’t need enzymes. If you’re not getting satisfactory results by the time you finish the bottle, don’t buy another. Review all your current meds and supplements to make sure none has bad taste as a side effect. Finally, consider getting yourself tested for SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) which is turning out to be a much commoner cause of bad taste than we thought a few years ago

9. Amie says:

Hi, is the sibo test different to the H pylori test ? I also keep having a salty taste in mouth after everything I eat. I’m taking l-glutamine at mo. I’ve been trying apple cider vinegar but it doesn’t help my sore throat. Do u think I should try hcl next ? I’ve researched digestive enzymes do u only need them if constipated a lot ?

10. Dr. R says:

Amie. It would be worthwhile to try HCL or digestive enzymes as discussed in the article to see if they might alter your symptoms.

11. Amie says:

Hi, I’m taking hcl with pepsin with fish & meat meals. It is helping my symptoms. When do u know when to stop taking these ? Also I think I need to take digestive enzymes as my food is not breaking down in stools. Can u take these along side hcl ? Is it ok to take a the same brand for hcl & digestive enzymes not one that’s combined with hcl ?

12. Dr. R says:

Amie. Either two separate products or a combination product would work.

13. Amie says:

Dr R when do u stop taking hcl supplements ? Also I’m taking one just with protein meals, shall I use enzymes for other meals such as carbs ? Also I only take one hcl with meals & get no discomfort do I need to try taking more than one ? The salty taste in mouth is improving.

14. Doris says:

Thanks for this posting. I was just recently diagnosed with hypochlorhydria after finally seeing a Naturopathic Doctor. The first symptoms I endured for months were of not properly digesting my food. Every time I ate the food would just sit in my stomach and I would get major nausea – every single time. After seeing my naturopath I started taking digestive bitters before meals and also increased my protein consumption because I was a vegetarian for many years. They say that not eating meat/protein can cause this condition. After two months I am still feeling some symptoms, such as a burning/acidic feeling in my stomach gas and bloating. I am working with my naturopath to focus on food combining and see if this helps. I am hoping to get my HCL back on track as naturally as possible because stomach and intestinal diseases run in my family.

15. paulrubin says:

Amie. It sounds like things are working. You may need to take HCL for sometime. Play with decreasing the dose over time based on your symptoms.

16. Linda says:

Hi I have suffered with acid reflux since I was a child my would give baking soda for it.I a much older now and still suffer with the problem bitter taste bad breath when I talk people cover nose

17. Linda says:

Hi Linda here I have suffered with acid reflux since child hood I take omeperzoal for my reflux it helps somewhat it seems everything I eat goes down slow nasty taste in my mouth.

18. Betsy says:

Does anyone here also have orange tongue with the bad tasting mouth?

19. Amie says:

I saw a gastro consultant & he said I have functional dyspepsia. I keep getting a salty taste in mouth, as I’m not in pain or get heartburn he said I don’t have a normal acid reflux problem. I feel I av silent reflux as something is affecting throat. He has never heard of low acid, but I think I have as I get no burning after taking two hcl tabs. I don’t no what to do next ?

Hi Arnie
    I would order three tests, all available from Genova Labs”
    Breath Test for SIBO
    Comprehensive Stool Digestive Analysis, adding on the test for Helicobacter Pylori.
    You can order these directly from the company or ask them for some doctors in your area who can order them for you

21. Tosin says:

Hello doctor,I was tested positive for her pylori, got treated with antibiotics and I’ve not been myself since then. Gas, bloating, indigestion, numbness, tingling sensation, burning sensation. Tested positive again . I’m allergic to some foods and food sit in my stomach for a long time before digesting. What can I do?

Hi Tosin
    From your description of symptoms, this sounds like small intestine bacterial overgrowth. Have your doctor order a breath test for SIBO or order it yourself from Genova Labs
    If you are positive, this is easy to treat with Xifaxan

23. Vickie says:

My symptoms are the same Its been going on for years I have had more procedures than you can imagine This is very interesting Where can I buy this supplement to try I have been to 4 doctors

24. Claire says:

Hi I have suffered from a bad taste in my mouth and nose since I was a child. Like a rotting/faeces smell.
    My dental hygiene is very good.
    The only way I’ve found to cover it in my throat is by taking Gaviscon.
    I have adult acne and it is a lot worse when I eat wheat (deep boils/spots/bloated/fatigue)
    The smell is worse after I’ve eaten.
    I had tests done some years ago and they said I had narrow passages through my sinuses but I don’t think that causes the bad breath, it seems to be coming up my throat.
    If you could give me some advice I would much appreciate it.

Hi Claire
    1. Make sure you remain 100% gluten free
    2. “Fecal smell” is from methane gas. Have your doctor or anyone in your area who does functional medicine test you for Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). This test specifically checks for methane. If it is positive, a short course of an antibiotic (Xifaxan) may actually be curative. Here’s the SIBO test

26. Vincenza says:

Where can I purchase this supplement?

27. Ann says:

PPIs only make my GERD worse. Lemon juice w/ meals greatly improves symptoms.
    I recently bought Betaine HCL 650mg w/ Pepsin. I used right before my meal and my symptoms immediately improved. But three hours later I had horrible acid reflux. I am now wondering did I not take enough or did I use too much?
    Ann

28. Samar says:

Hello Dr. I need your help. I have similar symptoms as Claudia. I tried the betaine hcl with pepsine… I can say that the bloated stomach that I suffered from since I was a child has almost gone;but the acidic taste in my mouth became worse and even made my teeth lightening…any explanation?should I take any supplements along with the betaine hcl?..or does it mean that actually I don’t have low stomach acid?thank you so much

Hi Samar
    There are two diagnostic tests worth exploring. The Heidleberg test (see link) for the amount of stomach acid you produce (or are failing to produce)
    along with the breath test for small intestine bacterial overgrowth syndrome (SIBO)
    You can discuss these with any gastroenterologist

30. Kell says:

I have had an extremely metallic taste in my mouth for years. Once I took a tab of hcl, caused me to double over in excruciating pain. The pain was in my lower abdomen, which had been distended for several years. There is something happening with my system that involves ammonia production. My body feels singe-d and dry from the inside out by ammonia coming from my guts. Acid medications, digestive enzymes, hcl– none of these worked. The ammonia presence makes many bitter foods to be intolerable, especially raw bitter greens. The smell is in all of my body fluids and during dry months it causes my skin to become paper-thin and starched dry. The metallic taste in my mouth intensifies to include my teeth. My skin feels like it is being burned from the inside out all over my body. My hair falls out, my nails get brittle, my eyes get dry and I can’t concentrate on anything due to the discomfort. If I get too hungry, the ammonia will happen in my brain, which is the worst. I have been to so many docs, holistic and otherwise, over the years. I’ve also tried a lot of digestive supps and cleanses. The only thing my body responds to is all-fruit cleanses. They give temporary relief. But that’s it. I have NO idea if this could actually be related to stomach acid issues in some way but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

31. Abi says:

My husband says when we have sex he gets a bitter mouth he thinks because I’m taking euthyrox

32. Robert the Bruce says:

After a backread of all the notable procedures here, that there is no mention of my symptom which led me to take indomethasin. My major joints hurt and work only increased discomfort. Was told (not by GI or Rhumatology) that my blood leeched protein and calcium from the joint friction.

33. Anna says:

I have bad taste and no doctors know what it is.

34. Linda says:

Thanks so much i have suffered the same symptoms for many years just not the yeast infection where can i find this supplement thanks again

35. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Linda – To which supplement are you referring? Please let me know and I’d be happy to help you find it.

-Dr M

36. Kathy Flow-Lamy says:

I have had a bitter taste in my mouth for more than ten years. When I eat food tastes great – it’s after I eat or drink that I get this terrible taste. It sometimes makes me very nauseous. I have gone to all kinds of Dr’s and no one can help me. I have had a colonoscopy and endoscopy nothing shows up. I have been checked by dentists – everything is fine. Can you advise me on something else to try.

Hi Kathy Flow-Lamy
    If you are positive, this is easy to treat with Xifaxan

38. Laurie says:

I also have had for more than 10 years a nasty, sour, acid, bitter taste in my mouth. Brushing my teeth and tongue just seem to spread the taste around even more. Nothing I’ve tried has helped. I thought maybe it is due to hiatal hernia or GERD as I sometimes have to wait for food or drink to go down after I swallow. I also have a history of Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction (SOD) and have had 2 surgeries, however both failed to give any relief. My new GP said that any symptoms remaining from the SOD are from some other condition because after ablating the muscle twice there isn’t anything left to cause pain except for maybe scar tissue. I’m beginning to wonder if I was misdiagnosed all those years ago. I’m wondering if I would benefit from Betaine HCL?

39. Jo says:

hi Dr E

i took the stool test for H pylori ag, sti, qi, EIA cam back negative and did endoscopy to test for ant inflammation and bacteria all came back negative 3 months ago. i took prevacid for two months now, i still have sour taste in mouth after each meal last 1 hour. the sour taste not going away i have took prevacid for 2 months already. prevacid did not make my symtom worst but the chest pain and sour taste not going away completely. some day the sour taste in mourh is bit better and some day has more sour last 1 hour. i am on 30 mg in morning and 15 mg at nite for prevacid straight 2 months. what should i do next.
    thanks

40. cliffmaurer says:

Hi Jo –

Have you been seen by a WHC practitioner? If so, best to follow up with them either in an appointment or over the Patient Portal. If not, I recommend seeing whomever has been following your healthcare. These symptoms are worthy of follow-up.

Dr M

**Facial Rejuvenation Guasha Class
The Ultimate DIY Anti-Aging Facial!

With Mari Stecker, LAc
Thursday September 21, 2017, 6:30-8PM, $65 course fee

Join us and learn a traditional Chinese facial rejuvenation technique that you can do yourself! Guasha treatment is a 2,000 year old Chinese massage technique that uses a flat tool to apply pressure to the skin to increase circulation as it moves along acupuncture channels.

Facial guasha is an easy to learn technique that:
* encourages blood flow and promotes radiance
* prevents wrinkles
* activates cells to regain facial elasticity
* drains fluids to detoxify skin and reduce puffiness
* sloughs off dead skin cells
* uplifts and tones skin
* firms up facial muscles
* minimizes dark circles
* promotes a healthy, younger and more radiant look

Register online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

**Herbs for Lyme Disease
September 30th, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
With Seanna Tully, MSTOM, LAc, RH(AHG)

Join us for an introduction in the use of herbs in the treatment of Lyme disease.

In this workshop you will receive:
*A primer on herbs used for Lyme and herbal energetics
*Guidelines on dosing and correct use
*Gain self-help tools for you and your family

Register on-line or by calling (773) 296-6700

**Vaginal Rejuvenation
October 12th, 6:00pm – 8:00pm  Fee: $65
With Mari Stecker, LAc & Renee Zambo, RYT

Are you experiencing vaginal dryness? Or pain with intercourse? Have you been told you have vaginal atrophy due to menopauseAre you frustrated because you believe your sex life is overWell, it doesn’t have to be!

Come learn easy, non-pharmaceutical, non-hormonal, low cost techniques that you can do at home to help alleviate vaginal dryness, atrophy, thinning of vaginal skin and/or painful intercourse.

This class is appropriate for any woman who is experiencing discomfort during intercourse, pelvic exams or daily activities due to vaginal dryness and atrophy as well as women who are experiencing vaginal changes due to perimenopause, menopause, cancer treatments, hysterectomy or medications.

This class will include information on specific instructions for self-treatments that can be done at home as well as yoga postures and meditation that focus on the pelvic region.

Movement and breath will draw awareness to the pelvic floor, and facilitate both the full relaxation and activation of pelvic floor muscles. A short guided meditation will reconnect awareness to the feminine energy held within the pelvis.

Register on-line or by calling (773) 296-6700.

**Wellbeing for Seasonal Change
Three Saturday Workshops with Renee Zambo, RYT
October 28, November 18, and December 9 at 1:30-3:00pm
Fee: $49 for each or $120 for all three

Late Fall is the natural transition from our vibrant summer and harvest season, to a cooler and quieter time of year. While this transition is necessary for the natural world and ourselves, the shorter daylight hours and longer nights can have unique and challenging effects on many of us.

Register online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

• Six Super-Devious Big Pharma Tricks

Just about everyone is experiencing the shock of astonishing increases in their health insurance costs, including, interestingly, members of Congress who buy health insurance through Obamacare plans. We tend to forget that all insurance premiums (health, auto, property, life) are pegged to the benefits paid. …Read More »
  • Ten Drugs Doctors Should Consider De-Prescribing

Physicians use the word polypharmacy when a patient is taking five or more prescription drugs daily. A recent survey showed that half of women Medicare recipients were taking five or more drugs daily, and 12% of them were taking ten (!) or more. New patients …Read More »

September Sale: 20% Off Metagenics Children’s Formulas

Make sure to start the school year off on the right foot! Support your little ones with a variety of Metagenics children’s formulas, all 20% off during the month of September.  More>>