Trump, Stress, And Your Body

Every time I’ve written a politically oriented Health Tip, a few people become upset by my Lefty opinions, tell me to stick with what I know (I assume they mean medicine), and unsubscribe to this newsletter. Some have snarled, “I’m transferring my records out of WholeHealth Chicago” and off they go.  So, here I go again.  As you read this, please keep in mind that this is my opinion and is not necessarily the opinion of others at WholeHealth Chicago.

In the days following the election I kept hearing stories like these from my patients:

• “I sat in front of the TV watching the returns with tears pouring down my face.”
  • “I am so stressed about this I feel sick.”
  • “I’m obsessing about Roe v Wade and back-alley abortions, deeply worried about my gay friends (black friends, Mexican friends, Muslim friends), climate change, animals going extinct, my health insurance, Syrian children, and busloads of deported people and I can’t stop crying.”
  • “I feel constantly angry, frustrated, sad, and horrified.”
  • “I have to confess, I doubled my Lexapro.”

In one of his first TV interviews, when asked if he had a message for Americans, the president-elect said he wanted to tell the voters who didn’t support him not to be afraid. He kept repeating, “Don’t be afraid…don’t be afraid.”

Now that is scary, especially as he packs his staff with some of the most frightening people in politics, including his racist, misogynistic, anti-Muslim, gay-bashing, and anti-Semitic chief strategist Steve Bannon.

What’s especially troubling is that Americans apparently know so little about 20th century European history, when by demonizing minorities (Jews, “gypsies,” Communists) Adolph Hitler became chancellor and then surrounded himself with some of the most notorious evildoers (Goebbels, Goering, et. al.) in the history of the world.

When you see the first busloads of Hispanic/Latino families forced from their homes, struggling with suitcases, boarding buses and trains that will pass through Trump’s wall and return empty, you (yes, you!) better start thinking about what you’ll tell your grandkids when years from now they ask why you didn’t help.

Stress
Now let’s talk about the stress you’ve been feeling and its effects on your body. Stress can be defined as any situation where you’ve relinquished your life to something beyond your control. You might feel symptoms of stress–insomnia, anger, depression, a knot in your stomach—when you’re trapped in a toxic job, a toxic relationship, or living in a toxic place.

“I hate my job but I stay because I need the insurance.” “I hate my boyfriend, but without him I’m alone.”

We feel stress about the election results because we think we’ll lose control of our destinies: our lives, our bodies, our country, and even our planet. Yes, you’re entitled to your sleepless nights.

The effect of any sustained stress puts us in perpetual fight-or-flight mode. The fight-or- flight system, which all mammals have, was designed to momentarily enhance your efficiency in an emergency. Fight or flight commands you to “Run!” “Hit!” “Scream!” but there’s a large sign attached that reads “For emergency use only.”

Fight or flight is ideally only used to wallop a mugger, rescue a child, or lift a car off someone.

Perpetual stress, on the other hand, wreaks physical and emotional hell with our bodies. Everything goes south: heart, lungs, digestion, reproduction, immunity, and emotions. It’s the constant lump in your throat or knot in your stomach. You sleep poorly and you’re tired all the time. You try to feel better with a tub of Ben and Jerry’s and then get even more stressed when you gain ten pounds. Enjoyable sex is a distant memory.

But hold on.

Stress can be good
Not all stress is the same. This is bad stress I’ve been talking about, but there’s also good stress and, yes, this positive, creative stress is going to be our salvation.

Good stress might on its face appear stressful except for the fact that, curiously, you’re rather enjoying yourself. Picture a doctor in charge of a super-busy emergency room, surrounded by utter chaos, an epicenter of stress, but she wouldn’t trade it for the world. That’s because she’s in complete control. She’s the Ricardo Muti of chaos.

Now here’s an example of political good stress. Take a look at the PBS documentary “Freedom Summer,” the 1964 story of busloads of young people traveling to Mississippi to help with voter registration. It was frightening, it was dangerous, and three of the volunteers were brutally murdered, but it gave participants a sense of pride and accomplishment they remembered all their lives.

For years, I’ve been hearing my own kids complain about how lucky I was to be alive and politically active in the 1960s. They thought the 90s and the 2000s were boring. Nothing was happening and even the music was terrible. But in the 1960s people acted on their sense of right and wrong. “Dad, it must have been great.”

Actually, much of the 1960s was painted with horrible images: body bags from Viet Nam, little girls murdered in church fires. But the 1960s generated stress that spurred people, especially young people, into action, culminating in 1969 in Woodstock, the best concert ever.

So you want to deal with your stress?
Become very political. Join a group or organize something yourself. Show up for meetings. Volunteer and donate if you can. At last count, 46,000 people had donated to Planned Parenthood in Mike Pence’s name. And there are many more causes worthy of your support.

Rise up angry. Make a fist and thrust it skyward. Take time off in January to join the Women’s March on Washington. Fling a used tampon on the White House lawn. Get a copy of Bernie Sanders’ new book Our Revolution: A Future To Believe In. As you plan your goals, you’ll feel your muscles relax and the lump in your throat disappear.

And finally, if it’s at all reassuring, Trump may not be the worst president to be assuming office. You might be too young to remember, but that dubious distinction goes to the second term of Richard Nixon. Since Nixon recorded for posterity virtually every oval office conversation, we know he hated blacks and Jews, was a falling-down drunk, wanted to nuke much of Southeast Asia, and approved the Watergate burglary.

He was forced out of office two years later. Fortunately, vice president Spiro Agnew couldn’t succeed him because Agnew had resigned in disgrace a few months earlier for taking bribes.

So think about it. Aside from the considerable damage he may do to civil liberties, do we believe Trump’s obscene track record will be swept under the rug in 2017 and beyond? He’ll be too busy defending his web of lies to ever be an effective president. Just days ago, rather than go to court he settled the Trump University class action lawsuit for $25 million; others will follow. Lawsuits against villains are very emotionally satisfying.

As for supporting your own health and wellbeing, keep to a solid sleep schedule and eat nourishing whole foods. Exercise, focusing on the big three—flexibility, strength training, and cardio/aerobic. Marching, shouting, and carrying protest signs all qualify as good cardio.

Keep in mind, too, this from Margaret Atwood.

“The fabric of democracy is always fragile everywhere because it depends on the will of citizens to protect it, and when they become scared, when it becomes dangerous for them to defend it, it can go very quickly.”

Posted in S, T Tagged with: , , , , , ,
46 comments on “Trump, Stress, And Your Body
  1. Carol D says:

Great commentary and good advice! I’ve always found the best antidote for anger and depression is constructive action. Keep speaking your truth, Dr. E, and leading by example….complacency, especially now, is the worst possible reaction!

2. Lisa says:

Kudos to you, Dr. Edelberg, for speaking your truth.
    I myself have been feeling depressed and flu-ish since the election. All of my 5 cats are sick with a cold, and the vet (who makes house calls) said that the week after election was her slowest week in 4 years. One client came to the door having forgotten their appointment in the aftershock, and couldn’t even find his cat.
    -Lisa

3. Claudia D. says:

Well you are right about one thing-I am unsubscribing from your newsletter because I don’t need a political agenda where I get my healthcare information. If someone is stressed out because of politics they should stop watching the news not “get more involved”. That’s like telling some with high blood pressure “Do more of what raises your blood pressure!” And how about everyone calm down-the world is not ending. Stop exaggerating the power of one man who has to answer to two other legislative branches.

4. Jill says:

I needed this post so much more than I realized.

5. Katherine Erwin says:

Thanks, Dr. E.–This is just the tonic I needed this morning.

6. sammy kayes says:

Thanks very much for sharing your opinion, Dr.

I already have Bernie Sanders’ book. 🙂 Never lose your sense of outrage (the right kind of stress?)

7. Bernie Heidkamp says:

Thank you — for seeing Trump as the multi-layered health crisis he is. And as you say, the cure is action. I would only add that action doesn’t have to be big, national statements. Getting involved in local organizations that are fighting for justice in our immediate communities are always to best, most productive and satisfying, work we can do. That’s not to say we shouldn’t always connect the local with the national and global — but we need action at all levels.

8. Tina Hepworth says:

Absolutely Dr.E. For the first time in my life, after hearing the election results I felt a little of what I imagine my parents felt when PM Chamberlain announced in 9/1939 that Britain ‘is now at war with Germany’. Very disconcerting also is that according to his current wife Trump kept and maybe still does keep a book of Hitler’s speeches on his nightstand.
    Heaven help us !

9. Amy says:

Thank you so much for this post. I already suffer from anxiety so the last two weeks have been very difficult for me. I appreciate you voicing your opinion in a constructive way to inspire and motivate for the good of our future.

10. Donna Dufner says:

Thanks, Dr. E. If a patient leaves you because you express your opinion it is thier loss. You understand the relation between stress and health.

We learned the hard way what happens when no one speaks out. So I am impressed with your courage. You have always been ahead of the curve.

Love you,
    Donna

11. Shaina says:

LOVE THIS! Thank you!!!

12. Sherri says:

I need a “LIKE” button for Claudia’s comment. I don’t need a one sided extremist political lecture from my health care provider. You are preaching managing stress by instigating a stress response from patients who dont share your political opinions. Thanks for the aggravation you caused me after reading you health tips.

13. Angie Heisler says:

You can tell that most people appreciate your comments, political and otherwise. Write on. We need people of character, like yourself, to help us figure out what we can do to fight the stress we feel right now. Thank you

14. Diana Wendt says:

I am echoing what others have said above. Thank you for this timely message. I have been feeling depressed and tearful since the election and off and on get paralyzed a bit. It is so good to have you speak about this Trump anxiety that many of us are feeling. It is real and it gets worse instead of better as I see his plans unfold and it is easy to say don’t watch the news or read the Internet but I feel I have to keep up a little at least with what is happening and what we will face after he’s in. I am hoping for a miracle when the electoral college electors vote and am looking at places to move. I feel as if I am too sensitive to live here and watch the already difficult time for minorities, LGBT people, the disabled and Muslims get even worse and an authoritarian government take the place of our loving and respectful Obama team. I am so glad that at least Rahm has said that Chicago will continue to be a sanctuary city even if we lose federal funding. We all need to stand up and fight what seems to be coming down. Thanks for being the force for good that you have always been and for helping people to face what feels like a loss of the country we depend on being in place for us, a country that respects and welcomes all.

15. Addie says:

“Extremist political lecture?” Huh? This advice applies to anyone stressed out over a public event over which they have no individual control. Being for or against a candidate in an American election is hardly expressing an extremist view, and calling an opinion different from one’s own “extremist” is “my way or the highway.” I follow several blogs whose opinions I disagree with. It’s called increasing understanding. And no one causes anyone else aggravation. No one got inside your head and wrapped your brain in aggravation. You did that to yourself over nothing.

16. Linda R. says:

Thank you for your courageous post– I am forwarding it to my staff, all of us working a university counseling center, counseling the many LGBT students and students of different ethnicity or religious faith, who feel unsafe, and with good reason. They are, in fact, getting racial slurs yelled at them (“you monkeys get off my campus”) as if Trumps election has declared open season for racism. For myself, I have been traumatized as well, but I take courage form your words and Obama , sanders, and others who remind us things have been worse and it is time to fight. Will do!!

17. Cathy says:

Thank you from the bottom of my aching heart, Dr. E. SO what I needed. Definitely feeling anxious, sleepless,angry, and embarrassed for our country. We are mortified that the toxicity that was spoken was legitimized by votes. (Esp having daughters-yet for all that are marginalized) Great advice to channel that into activism, started the day after the election. Agree with so many above~we cannot be silent. Thank you for speaking up & for your reassurance. (Didn’t realize that about Nixon) With much appreciation and a big hug.

18. Penny Morse says:

Dr. E,
    A true dose of reality stress is losing a business of 50 years, endangering the livelihoods of many loyal employees, and erasing the legacy to our children and grandchildren. We thank Obama and his executive order regulations for our present situation of seeing a life’s work swallowed whole. This kind of fear causes sleepless nights and rising blood pressure! We worked diligently for change from your “lefty” policies and supported our candidate for change very loudly against your “web of lies” candidate (to borrow your phrase).

I, for one, will not be resigning from your newsletter, nor will I be seeking another doctor. Although I do not agree with your one-sided, and somewhat shallow, take on the election results, you have been a godsend to me and my family as a caring, knowledgeable miracle worker. And we are grateful.

I look forward to that appointment four years from now to discuss the economy, energy, terrorism and e.g. the status of the south side of Chicago.

Respectfully,
    Penny

19. Robert Radycki says:

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and the thoughts of your patients. My feeling is the American commercial media in general has exacerbated this election and abrogated its duty to provide us in depth reporting and analysis. It was sound bytes over substance. After reading your post I have been inspired to stop watching the 10 o’clock news before going to bed as I get enough news during the day and prefer ending the day with a good night’s sleep without so much negativity. Also I am renewing my expired membership at the senior center so I can exercise regularly and be in good balance in mind, body, and spirit. Thank you for motivating me to do this.

20. Jim says:

i agree with the statement made before, that one man isn’t going to make a big difference when we have two other branches of government protecting our rights. What we need is to strengthen our constitutional liberties by electing moral right thinking people who will protect our current government from swaying to far right or to far left.A balance of power is the only way to keep us from to far left which is a dictatorial form of government or to far right which is one of chaos.
    There was no good choice this year for President. We need better people to represent us who care about this country and not power hungry lifer’s in that we currently have.

21. Susan says:

Seriously? Your essay here is making me sick…. Do you really think it’s very professional of you to use your soapbox to further your political viewpoints? Did you forget that you are a doctor? Shame on you! Every election people are disappointed and apprehensive as to what change may come. The way people are reacting is ridiculous. Your advice to people should be get a grip, we live in a country where people vote and sometimes your candidate may not get elected. I will give you some advice Doc, Take a deep breath and put things into perspective. Stop perpetuating panic and anxiety in your patients and projecting your fears onto them. I’m going to enjoy the fact that since Trump’s election win the stock market is going up and my health insurance will hopefully be going down (since it’s set to increase $300 a month this year, thanks Obamacare!) Not everything is all bad, find the joy in the little things.

22. Billy says:

Steve Bannon is not anti-Semitic. That claim is very wrong. Shame on you for spreading fake news and scaring people. It’s really reprehensible that you are spreading incorrect information on a number of topics. And you are a doctor, too.

Also, I don’t really understand why you would want to smear your own hard earned and well deserved branding by spreading false claims.

23. Jenny says:

Ohemgee yes. Not only was i already dealing with a lyme disease panic attack but i was also dealing with the election giving me a panic attack. Sigh. Thanks for standing up for human rights. I believe hands down the most important thing in the world is alleviating the suffering of those less fortunate than you. As a new patient of whole health I feel more assured of my choice of going here for lyme treatment knowing that the practitioners care about the downtrodden in all aspects of society. Thank you.

24. Jude Mathews says:

Just in case any readers aren’t familiar with it, here is a quote which your article brings to mind:

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Socialist.
    Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.
    Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me. –Martin Niemöller

The above is engraved in stone at the New England Holocaust Memorial.

I agree that action is the best medicine for depression. So many of us are reeling from a fear of losing our very selves. We need to stand with our brothers and sisters, some of whom will lose more and sooner than us.

25. T. Earp says:

Thanks, Dr. E!

I was going through the grieving process for awhile. But, then I went to 2 events at my church on Sunday. One, being, a discussion of The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander. It was good to be with others feeling the same way, that we want to start speaking out (if we haven’t already). Also, know that there was a gathering in my city, was comforting & hope building.

By the way, the link to read more in the e-mail, brings you to the previous month’s blog entry.

Keep up the good work!

26. Laurie Gelman says:

Fling a tampon on the White House lawn. Well, with that one you pretty much disqualified yourself as having anything of merit to say to me.

I can’t think of two bigger anti-semites than Hillary Clinton or George Soros, but they like the money, attention and power the Jews provide them with with so they keep their private positions private. Fortunately, the monster cannot always be contained so we have proof of their private opinions from reliable sources, like their own comments and actions.

Regarding all the stress induced bitching, moaning and crying I have a simpler RX than the White House lawn thing. You could try growing up and accepting reality and that your opinion isn’t the only one that matters. You don’t always get your way. This should have been explained to you by your parents sometime between the ages of two and six.

Apparently, it wasn’t. The chaos manufacturing just keeps continuing with you Libs.

You don’t seem to understand or care about the fact that The United States, in addition to being a democracy founded on capitalism is a business that has to be RUN. That costs money and the Obama policies have taken enough of mine.

You rage at profiling people and / or
    holding them accountable to any sort of standards before benefits are doled out. What alternate mental universe are you living in? You can’t even get into Costco without a card. I can’t get my insurance guy or my estate planning attorney on the phone without verifying my worthiness to six assistants protecting God. Even a freaking gas pump wants your zip code.

Illegal immigrants post a host of threats to the country, but beyond all that, they are not paying into the system and for me that is the biggest problem. If you were throwing a dinner party for your immediate friends and family and Obama showed up at the front door with fifteen hundred people and told you you had to feed them, would you? That was a trick question. I may admire you for feeding them, I may decide to feed them myself. But it’s not government’s job to tell me to do so. Our job is to follow the Constitution. It’s really that simple. The problem is that the rules have been ignored for so long, just following them is perceived as some sort of reign of terror, again by whining babies who’ve learned that throwing a tantrum will get Mommie to cave.

Since you’re a physician, I’ll end this on a healthcare story. In 2011, I sustained a hearing injury from an inept physician’s assistant. I needed a brain MRI. Anthem Blue Cross told me my co pay was going to be $1100. The actual co pay turned out to be $2600. When I bitched about this to my physician cousin he just laughed and told me that I was paying for all the people who can’t afford to pay. Funny joke.
    I didn’t work sixty to ninety hour weeks for thirty-five years to give a bunch of squatters free health care. I worked to take care of myself in old age so I would not have to be a burden to anyone.

It sound like a lot of you are unhappy with the United States right now. Might I suggest you find another country. When we straighten this one up it will be just fine.

27. Tammy says:

I appreciated this blog so much! Thank you for speaking up and making some sense of what has been a time of confusing and unexpected physical responses. It’s so helpful to know that this stress is real and not happening to me alone. This is the very definition of being HOLISTIC…not avoiding certain subjects. Good for you.

28. Gina Lundell says:

Hi, Dr. E. Indeed “Thank You” for your timely and perceptive article. I really needed to hear your message about managing stress at this time of heightened anxiety.
    I keep up with articles in the Times and Nation, daily. But, knowing the people he’s choosing to surround himself with only serves to further my anxiety! So, your review of stress management right now was spot on!
    I bought Bernie’s book yesterday. Costco has it available for a great price if anyone else is looking for a copy.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wonderful staff! Gina Lundell

29. Jerry Vaver says:

Jerry says:

Oh, Claudia, you are right, no one man has that much power. By the way who did you say controls the two legislative branches of government that are going to keep him in check? Looks like we won’t have to worry about grid lock anymore. Dr. E. your newletter is your newsletter. It is outside office hours and people have the right to not read it. You are also entitled to an opinoin, political and otherwise. Those not wishing you to have this right should get their healthcare from a computer. Who needs a compassionate, caring doctor? Off hand, I would say 99% of your patients and all the rest seeing other doctors do!

30. Ceil LaPorta says:

Right on. You are brave to do this. And I agree with you. I am angry and 80 and don’t know what will become of this country…for all the younger generations, from someone who is of the “greatest generation”. Now I no longer wish to vote, as my vote does NOT count, the electoral college decides. The popular vote went to someone sane with political experience …. and now we have someone who should be examined by a psychiatrist. I move that all who wish in future to run for high office should be examined by a group of best shrinks in the USA. Amen.

31. Nancy Meyer says:

I say ignore Claudia and Sherri’s posts, this was so helpful to me. Your honest perspective and good advice about “resuming” our 1960 protest activities (modified for 2016) empower me and take away my far reaching anxiety and fear. It is horrible to think that our country is now led by a narcissistic thin skinned freak of character who makes fun of the disabled and tweets!! A big thank you, again, for addressing stress and the election results.

32. Meredith George says:

Dr. E: Do you have any new patient openings? I don’t have a lot of pressing issues now, except maybe something that might be sciatica.
    Got an opening? Maybe your patients who hate your politics will leave your practice and I can get in.

33. Patrice Wooldridge says:

Thank you Dr. E for stating, not only what is happening for many of us who live in the Chicago, but also a way in which to deal with the stress. I totally agree that feeling powerless is hugely stressful while taking charge and actively doing something helps to take my power back will decreases stress. And I LOVE that part of my Rx from today’s visit was how to get inexpensive tickets to the theatre – it was EXACTLY what I needed. Please keep stating your opinion and suggestions.

34. Colleen Egan says:

Thank you Dr. E- People who don’t think the stress of the political cycle isnt a health crisis are kidding themselves. Not the stress of the news, but people feeling really fearful. As a gay women, married with a family- we worry. As a woman I worry about losing the progress we’ve made since the 70’s, As a friend and colleague of immigrants, muslims and other marginalized groups- they are afraid and I am fearful for them. Guns have become a national health crisis as well as disease and now fear/stress about our loves is a crisis. Those who are white, Christian, heterosexuals have nothing to lose “civil rights” wise- but the rest of us do. Those who believe in climate change, protection of our lands, clean air and water, medicare, medicaid, education, etc- have a lot to worry about- I have children and a grandchild coming. The Trump administration has said it wants to end or limit the powers of the EPA and the DOE- two roles which should be protected the most. Financially – we all worry-and having read Trumps 100 day agenda along with his financial industry plan, tax plans, etc- we all should continue to worry- if the safeguards after the 2008 fall are removed, as the GOP wants, we will be back to unscrupulous policy. Interest rates are already rising- which the banks love, lending will open- which is good- but the banks will get severe tax cuts saving millions/billions a year- We as a country should want our financial institutions and our corporations to pay their fair share and not put it all on the backs of its citizens. After reading the Tax changes on Trumps site- the lower 20% would save 100.00 a year, middle class 1000.00, but the top 10% will save 250,000 and the top 1% millions- if this isnt stress producing- I dont know what is…

35. Richard S. says:

Pretty rich being lectured about living in an “alternate mental universe” by anyone whose preferred ideology consists of a steady diet of fact-free input from paranoia-inducing far-right disinfotainment media, and that obstinately denies the existence of every unpleasant reality, from bigotry to climate change. Crybabies, are we? Also pretty rich, coming from anyone who has spent the past eight years throwing an incessant tantrum over being forced to put up with a scandal-free moderate centrist president (horrors!). Astounding as it seems, some of us would seemingly prefer to return to the good ol’ days of 2001-2009 for another heaping helping of unnecessary wars and severe economic downturns. (Thankfully, a majority of Americans don’t share that opinion, regardless of the Electoral College results.)

And why, exactly, should liberals leave the country? If we leave, there will be that many fewer people left here to combat the racism, bigotry, misogyny, greed, and science denial that threaten both our nation and the larger world. So, hate to burst that fantasy bubble, but we’re going to stay, and we’re going to rescue our country from those who want to turn it into the 21st-century Confederate States of America.

If anyone needs to “leave,” it seems to me that people who suddenly develop intense loathing for a very fine physician just because he has a different political opinion from theirs should find a different one. And Dr. Edelberg, you should continue to speak your truth no matter how others react to it. No matter who you are or what you do in this life, the haters will hate. We might as well make it worth our while by standing up for what we know to be right and true, and I applaud your willingness to do exactly that, Dr. E.

36. Suzanna Martinez says:

Strange, there has been no depression or outrage over President Obama’s deportation of nearly 3 million undocumented people from within the USA.

37. Tony Spreitzer says:

Thank you, David, for your wisdom, you well thought-through opinions and your heart.

38. C says:

As of today I have lost respect for Whole Health Chicago.

39. Tish says:

Thank you Dr E. You are very wise and I really appreciate your perspective on my health and the world. I feel better already with my new plan to wake up and stand up for what I believe in. Wake up America! History has shown us the danger of being silent in the face of racism and bigotry used to gain political power in a democracy. We ALL should be intolerant of racism, bigotry, and misogyny in the incoming American administration. We do not want domestic policy nor foreign policy to be distorted by racist or bigoted analysis. That leads to failed policies that do not lead us in the right direction. Policies must be fact based to be effective and successful. Stand for something you believe in! This is America! The home of the free and the Brave! Thanks Dr E!!! you are a breath of fresh air

40. Tina Hepworth says:

Goodness me, really have to point out that JUST ONE man can have incredible power, ( look at Hitler, to name but one) plus as Trump is filling his cabinet, it’s v. clear that it won’t be “just one man” at all! Everyone in any country needs to educate themselves, and stand up for what they believe is right-at this election only 46% of people even bothered to vote!
    (Also I have yet to see any credible evidence, ( or actually any evidence at all!) that HRC is an anti-semite.)
    This election is in NO way like any other in recent times. If folk really believe it is, and aren’t horrified by the result, then they are out of touch with reality, which for some, yes, is more comfortable. However, if more people had become informed voters and thought about the real consequences of Trump trying to take on the most important position in the entire world, the result would have been very different. It’s not at all unlike a replay of pre-WW2 Europe: people were hungry for change/dissatisfied about this and that/believed everything Hitler”promised” , becoming caught up in the mass energy of his evil and deadly anti-semitic/white supremacist campaign. It was then vowed that such a ghastly reign of terror could NEVER be allowed to happen again, but here we are in a not dissimilar place. Just listening to Trump it’s clear he’s a power hungry demagogue, impulsive and unpredictable, not to mention his lack of decent morals, and his ever changing agendas.
    BTW, on a slightly different note the US is the ONLY developed country that does not provide basic healthcare for all, by one means or another. If people have been fortunate to be able to work all their life /have health insurance/ be able to pay the deductibles and co-pay, great! However many, many citizens and undocumented people are working 2 or 3 jobs, at minimum or less than minimum wage and have virtually no access to healthcare for them or their family-I see this all the time at a free inner city clinic where I work-thank heavens that they at least exist! This is still atm a free country and Dr.E has the right to express his views, just like everyone else. It’s not a requirement that his patients read his blogs, and actually what he is writing is not just his”lefty views” it’s actually fact that can be read in history books and current credible news sources. Not pleasant to read, but true-denial is a great destresser.

41. Amy says:

Thank you for your heartfelt words. I believe in everything you mentioned. If people can’t see the writing on the wall, they need to read a history book to educate themselves on this subject. Too many scary parallels to dismiss as pure irony.

42. Logan says:

I know how most of you feel…I’ve been feeling angst and depression for the past 8 years here in Northern California. It’s like a ray of sunshine to know that there is still hope for this amazing country. Dr E, when people want to be heard and respected, throwing a used tampon on the White House lawn is not the way to win someone over. Sounds like something a immature teenager would do to after a bad breakup (would that be considered bullying?). Mature adults use their words.
    Kinda funny that people of Chicago are winning how great things have been the under “Obama’s great care” when your city is a microcosm of what happens when people are too soft (deadliest city in USA?)

43. Cathy says:

Nailed it, Tina. You explained why so many of us are horrified.

44. John says:

As a fellow Lefty, I greatly appreciate this from my Doc. And I agree, knowing and reading history is the best way to ease your fear and give you hope. I felt similar fears the night Reagan was elected and even more the night George W Bush was elected. We survived them, and we can survive Trump, if we fight hard. We don’t survive these things without being strong and vigilant. As I have told friends, as with those other two (and probably more so this time), we will see if our democratic institutions are strong enough to withstand a president who does not believe in them. I believe they can be, but only if we all work hard.

45. Lily says:

Thanks, Dr. E. I could not agree more! I sure wish I was back in Chicago and still under your care. Please pay no attention to your detractors. Keep up the good work!

46. ML Carroll says:

Thank you, Dr. David! Courage, clarity, and historical awareness. All missing in U.S. political rhetoric. I appreciate your prescription and compassion.