Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and ailments, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more. Please mouse over the letters to get started. We hope you enjoy browsing.

Dr. E Has A Near-Death Moment and Experiences The Healthcare System For Himself

Since I’ve written more than 1000 of these Health Tips over the years, you may not have noticed you’ve been reading re-runs this past month. Although I try to keep us both away from doctors and hospitals as much as possible, sometimes you’ve just got to bite the bullet, turn yourself over to someone else’s expertise, and hope for the best.

Obviously, since I’m writing this, my personal results were good. The fact that ten inches from my laptop is a flute of icy cold champagne is meant to convey a celebratory component, the celebration being I’m not dead.

I must say that when enough medical professionals tell you “You do realize you could have died” there’s a moment when your pain meds wear off, reasonable thought returns (considering the circumstances), and you realize everyone’s quite serious. You’re then left alone in your hospital room thinking, “Holy shit, they’re not kidding. I wasn’t hallucinating about the grave looks.”

And the next day you see the sun rising over Lake Michigan and you know you’re alive. In fact, you’re now talking to a “discharge planner” (which sounds like something to do with your bowels, but is actually the person who will send you on your way). Later still, on the way home from the hospital, life takes on a new perspective. The trees along Lake Shore Drive are a richer green. At home, you hear nuances in your new CD of late Beethoven string quartets that you hadn’t noticed before. And the juicy, dipped Al’s Italian beef sandwich you scarfed down on the ride home…ambrosial, your juice-stained T-shirt a new art form, perhaps a Jackson Pollack.

A couple days later, you’re outside on your deck on a warm summer afternoon, writing your Health Tips and sipping champagne.

So here’s what happened.

On the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, unaware of a wet spot on our kitchen floor, I fell and landed mightily on the very hip I’d had replaced 11 years ago. Picture a cartoon character in pain, Road Runner or Roger Rabbit. You know how their eyes pop out in pain? Vroom, vroom. “Wow,” I said from the floor, “That really hurt” (what I actually said was far more colorful).

I figured I must have broken the hip and as much as I really didn’t want to have another hip replacement or even go to the emergency room, off I went to Weiss Hospital. Three reasons for Weiss:

1. It’s an efficiently run emergency department where you can be seen in minutes rather than hours.
  2. It’s managed by professional ER docs, not medical students.
  3. I know the chief of joint replacement, Henry Finn, MD, who has done good work with both my wife and many of my patients. Surgery to repair joints that already have implants is very complex and, handily, this is Dr. Finn’s specialty.

However, to everyone’s surprise, the x ray of my hip was completely normal. The old implant was in perfect position and they said I just had a really bad bruise. I saw the x ray myself—it looked just fine.  To say I was delighted is no exaggeration, but this delight, along with the Norco I’d been prescribed, definitely interfered with my critical thinking skills. You learn in medical school to never, ever diagnose or treat yourself, and it’s absolutely true. Your diagnostic skills, honed for decades, work only when they’re directed toward others. Self diagnosis for a physician can kill you. It certainly almost killed me

A long holiday weekend
So now I’m home and it’s Memorial Day weekend, leg elevated, unable to walk, waiting for my bruise to heal. WHC acupuncturist Mari Stecker came by and though her pain relief treatment was as effective as a Norco, like the pain med it just didn’t last. Our physical therapist Karen Meier also stopped by, encouraged some exercises, but added that if I wasn’t better I should just get back to the hospital.

Unfortunately, everything steadily worsened. By Memorial Day (Monday) I could barely walk a few feet, couldn’t go upstairs, and was peeing in a bottle.

On Tuesday, I called the emergency room and told them I was coming back.

Dr. Finn met me at the ER entrance. Amazing as this sounds, with a bedside examination alone (no tests or x rays), in less than 60 seconds flat he diagnosed that:

• Despite the normal x ray I did indeed have a hip fracture (confirmed by a CT scan).
  • I’d developed a blood clot in my leg (confirmed by ultrasound, and not just any blood clot, but a 3½-foot monster, from my foot up to my belly button).
  • I had “thrown” a piece of the clot, called a pulmonary embolus, into my lung (confirmed by a lung scan), which had sent my heart rhythm into atrial fibrillation (confirmed by an EKG).

Dr. Finn was surprised that I hadn’t noticed anything. “No chest pain? No shortness of breath?”

“Really, I didn’t notice anything. Except for my hip I feel fine.”

My wife, ever supportive, broke in with “He never notices anything.” They both looked at me like I was weird and I apologized again for feeling fine.  I then heard for the first time how close I’d come to death. It had been a perfect-storm scenario for a blood clot to develop: when you don’t move (remember, I couldn’t without extreme pain), your blood gets thick and clots form. It’s why people drop dead after long international flights.

“If a larger piece of the clot had broken off, your wife would have awakened next to a corpse.” I was to hear variations of this theme over the next few days until reality sank in.

Good medicine
I was immediately started on blood thinners and a med to fix my atrial fibrillation. The next day, a specialist in interventional radiology inserted a clot-catcher into my inferior vena cava, the main vein from legs to heart.

While covered with huge paper sheets, leaving exposed just a small area of my neck, a needle was jabbed into my jugular vein and the doc threaded a wire down past my heart and through my chest, aiming approximately for an area just above the clot. The sensation of something sliding through your neck and chest, while not painful, is certainly memorable.

Finally, at about the level of my navel and just above the monstrous clot, he inserted a parasol-like device that would catch any pieces of clot that might break free. The procedure went very smoothly and these guys (who, being masked, I never actually saw) had obviously done thousands of them. They were from southern Illinois and cracked jokes constantly.

The cardiologist came by to tell me his meds had converted my heart to a normal rhythm. He reminded me how close I’d come to dying of a massive pulmonary embolus, but assured me that between the clot-catcher and the blood thinner I was out of danger. Because of the clot, he added “Don’t move your leg too much.” I assured him this was no big issue as my hip was broken (I think he might have forgotten).

And a new hip
The next day, exactly one week after my tumble, I was in the OR at 6 am for the new hip. That, too, apparently went well, but since I was asleep I missed out on the action.

The remainder of the day was a blur because my thumb was fixed on a morphine pump. Through serious creative visualization, my left hip felt as if Godzilla were chewing on my left butt cheek and only by pressing my morphine pump would the Big Guy loosen his jaws. Later that afternoon, the physical therapists came by to start me walking. “But…but,” I pleaded, “I just had surgery. Isn’t this a mistake?”

“Out of bed, Dr. E. This is the way Dr. Finn does things.”

And honestly, from that moment forward, all the drama behind me, I was just another joint replacement patient, quickly transferred to their rehabilitation unit, where I learned all sorts of exercises to get my strength back. It was just 11 days between surgery and seeing a full load of patients at the office. When my wife tenderly inquired about my resting at home rather than returning to work, Dr. Finn said, “Nah. He’s fine. He can go to work.”

How can you help but love hearing that?

So between the Beethoven quartets, green trees along the lake, a dipped giant Al’s (extra hot peppers), and a celebratory glass of Moet & Chandon, life’s pretty good.

HI DOC,

2. Bianka says:

Dr. E, I am so glad you are ok!!! Here’s to a speedy recovery!

3. I say less work more moet! Glad you are on the mend.

4. Lee says:

I am sooo glad you are OK my favorite doctor. What a scare for all of us.

5. Elisabeth Swisher says:

Glad to hear you recovered so fast! Best wishes form
    Elisabeth Swisher

6. Sandra Nettz says:

Fascinating story. So glad you recovered. A votre sante!

7. Todd and Beverly Parkhurst says:

WOW! Dr. E, So glad you are well. It just goes to show–enjoy every day and look down before you step.

8. Todd and Beverly Parkhurst says:

Dr. E, Don’t know if you got our messages (tried twice) but rejected. Bill is paid. All kidding aside. Just goes to show–enjoy every day and look down before you take a step.
    Thank G-d, you are ok!!!

9. Carol O. says:

Wow, so thankful you are okay! What a scare – for you, your family, and your patients too. (Don’t know what we’d do without you, Dr. E.)
    Hugs and best wishes as you recover. Keep enjoying Beethoven, trees, and those dietary splurges.

10. Irene Frederick says:

WOW!!! What an unexpected fork in the road!!! (I’m sure that is the understatement of all time!!!)
    SOOOOO glad to hear that you are recovering nicely and even back at work already!!!
    Thanks for sharing your experience with us… I admire your attitude and aptitude!!!
    Delighted that your wordsmith prowess and indomitable spirit have survived intact.

May you continue on the healing highway… zoom, zoom, ZOOM!!!

With Love and Appreciation . . . Irene

11. Richard Feely says:

Dear David
    Besides being witty and brave, you are a great Doctor and smart not treating yourself.
    Carol’s and my prayers are for you health and happiness.
    Richard Feely

12. Bob Wendling says:

Glad to hear you’re OK Doc. Sounds scary!

13. Lilija says:

I’m glad you made it. Get well Soon!

14. Valerie Wilson says:

I am so grateful that you are well, and back on the correct side of the Dr./Patient equation.

Just one more observation, though. Maybe,considering that horrible experience and Dr. Finn’s ministrations, you know how I feel every time I tell someone, “Dr. Edelberg saved my life – more than once!”

So glad you’re better. We need you.
    Valerie W.

15. Alberta Jacob says:

it is Sunday am in the morning and I had thinking of you for the past few months. So I decided to google you web site, and I ran into your letter about your hospital I bet that was an experience. Me I have been doing Intergraded medicine since 1970.And lo and behold I was taken to a medical Dr. and I wanted to flip. Well I am doing well, but don’t like the pills.
    Well I hoe you can remember me we worked together I was Alberta Gutierrez at the time I worked for the City of Chicago when you did assessments on home bound seniors who live in deplorable living conditions. Well I am 82 years now and still kicking.[ smile] Good to see you are back to work and feeling find. Hope to hear from you. as I am seeking a new Doc.

16. Evie says:

Wow. These comments are a real tribute to you, Dr. E! I’ll bet you’ve never received so many comments from your other very intelligent posts.
    You are truly amazing, and your life habits show. Perhaps you are invincible and will live forever!

17. Sheri Meshal says:

This is my first time visiting your site. As a fellow writer, I must tell you that this was a very fun and entertaining read. Glad everything worked out beautifully.

18. Adele Lanan says:

OMG. I’m so glad you’re ok. Now that most of my family and friends text, I only check my e-mail once in awhile. After reading about your experience, I was so happy to get to the happy “starting” (not ending) of the next phase of your life. See you in August for an appointment I have scheduled.

19. Gabriela Cosma says:

Dr. E,
    That was quite an experience. I am so glad to hear that you are well.

The Next Lyme Academy Begins
Tuesday, October 4, 5:30-7 pm
Here’s a special invitation for patients of Dr. Kelley who are currently being treated for Lyme disease. Dr. Kelley’s new, four-week Lyme Academy starts on October 4, continuing over the following three Tuesdays.

Awakened Body, Quiet Mind
An innovative workshop series for relieving mind/body stress and tapping into your true power and natural health.
4 Group Sessions with Meghan Roekle, PsyD
Thursdays from 6:00-8:00pm; beginning October 20th

Tired All The Time? Useful Info and Two Supplements

As you might expect, fatigue is a fairly common reason people visit doctors. Feeling tired is vague symptom and can be linked to dozens of possible diagnoses, plus there’s a need to differentiate between physical fatigue and mental fatigue (brain fog) or consider both. When …Read More »

Invasion of the Body Snatchers!

I’d been reading Ally Hilfiger’s new autobiography Bite Me: How Lyme Disease Stole My Childhood, Made Me Crazy, and Almost Killed Me, preferring the Lyme parts to those devoted to fashion and her MTV “Rich Girl” series. Her symptoms were typical of chronic Lyme and …Read More »

October Sale: 20% Off Urban Moonshine Products

All Urban Moonshine products are 20% off for the entire month of October!

Urban Moonshine creates beautiful herbal formulas that focus on prevention, improving quality of life, and empowering people to create home herbal apothecaries.  More>>