Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and ailments, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more. Please mouse over the letters to get started. We hope you enjoy browsing.

A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth

Here’s another persistent patient story, a woman who endured years of symptoms and no definite answers. Then, six months ago, when her symptoms went into high gear, she knew she had to do something.

I first met Claudia, a bright, healthy looking woman, just a few weeks ago. She told me her longstanding digestive symptoms had started in her teens, manifesting as bloating, gas, and nausea after meals. Despite being written off as irritable bowel syndrome, she could detect no correlation to stress or food sensitivities. For Claudia, eating itself was never a pleasurable experience. In fact, once after a particularly stressful relationship when she became depressed and briefly stopped eating much at all, her digestive symptoms actually went away.

In her thirties, by avoiding junk foods she did a little better, but she was never “just fine.” Then, out of the blue, about six months ago, she began having a truly awful taste in her mouth, described as “bitter, sour, acid-y, disgusting!”

Again she played detective and tried to locate culprit foods, but she could find nothing consistent. By eating small meals, the vile taste would relent for a couple hours, but inevitably it would return. Claudia also mentioned she’d been having chronic vaginal yeast infections every four or five weeks, each severe enough to require treatment.

She took her problems to a gastroenterologist who suggested she take Nexium (to block acid production), but it had absolutely no effect. Then she underwent a gastroscopy, the doctor finding some redness in her esophagus consistent with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, aka acid reflux or heartburn). He told her to double her Nexium. When Claudia tried it, her symptoms dramatically worsened. He suggested she keep taking the Nexium, but she chose not to and cancelled further appointments with him.

Next Claudia went to her colon therapist, my friend Alyce Sorokie at Partners in Wellness, who, after listening to her symptoms, suggested she try a particular supplement. Within a few days Claudia felt fine, the vile taste gone and her digestive misery also a memory. She felt better than she had in years. Not to disparage her gastroenterologist, but if he’d seen the supplement, he would have had his own “Aha!” moment and understood why his Nexium made everything worse. He also might have suggested some additional testing that would have been both uncomfortable and expensive, but wouldn’t have changed Claudia’s treatment one iota.

Hypochlorhydria
Claudia had made an appointment with me prior to receiving her supplement from Alyce, wanting an MD to explain just what was going on and why she needed this particular supplement. I explained that what she had was called hypochlorhydria, the medical term for when a person’s stomach isn’t producing enough acid to digest food. It’s actually far more common than people realize. The cause can be genetic or secondary to a separate condition, like hypothyroidism (low thyroid) or an autoimmune disorder that destroys the acid-producing cells in the stomach.

Most often, because people have varying amounts of stomach acid, hypochlorhydria just appears, sometimes starting early in life as mild chronic indigestion and then slowly worsening.

The condition is not all that easy to diagnose, and probably explains why hypochlorhydria is often overlooked as a possible cause of digestive symptoms. Strictly speaking, to diagnose it the doctor needs a rather expensive device called a Heidelberg machine that measures the acidity (pH) of the stomach. When I telephoned two gastroenterologists, neither owned one. Interestingly, when gastroenterologists are down there in your stomach with their gastroscopes, they’re endlessly looking for evidence of too much acid (“redness,” “ulcers”) and hunting for the ulcer-causing bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), but they don’t check for insufficient acid.

Also, probably in response to the bloated advertising budgets of Big Pharma, gastroenterologists (and family practitioners and internists as well) routinely prescribe the acid-reducing drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)—including Nexium, Prevacid, AcipHex, and Dexilant–for just about every digestive symptom known.

As you might have guessed, because the job of PPIs is to reduce stomach acid, giving a PPI to someone with hypochlorhydria only makes matters worse, as it did when Claudia doubled her Nexium dose. In addition, deigning to recommend something as mundane as a nutritional supplement is beneath the dignity of most gastroenterologists, so patients with hypochlorhydria often go untreated for years.

Your impressive GI tract
To understand Claudia’s symptoms, picture your gastrointestinal (GI) tract as the long continuous tube it is, one end of which you wipe with a linen napkin, the other with Charmin. The GI system is really an external organ, a continuation of your skin (note how it turns inward at your lips). Gastroenterologists jokingly think of themselves as hard-working dermatologists.

When you take a bite of anything–from a Big Mac to that $500 meal over at Alinea–your teeth grind the food to a pulp that your mouth mixes with digestive enzyme-laden saliva, and after a few seconds it all plunges southward toward your stomach. Yes, there’s something undeniably ephemeral about fine dining. Once in your stomach, the whole mess is churned with pure hydrochloric acid and still more enzymes into a thick sludge called chyme (pronounced kim with a long i). Burger King chyme and Alinea chyme would be visibly indistinguishable from each other, but fortunately everything is far removed from your visual field and you can continue to enjoy your meal.

Your stomach then forces the chyme into the 22 feet of your small intestine for further digestion plus the absorption of all the nutrients you need to keep going in life. Once the nutrients have been extracted, the chyme is propelled into your large intestine, where excess fluid is extracted and…you know the rest.

With hypochlorhydria, the whole process grinds to a halt. Your chewed-up food is held in your stomach, feeling like dead weight, needing more acid to break it down and convert it to chyme. As Claudia described, the act of eating becomes distinctly unpleasurable. The vile taste she experienced comes from slowly putrefying food, sitting there. Vaginal Candida overgrowth is a common side effect of hypochlorhydria because inadequate acid throws off the balance of good and bad bacteria, allowing yeast to flourish. Not surprisingly, certain nutritional deficiencies also develop, notably vitamin B-12, which requires stomach acid to be absorbed.

A simple supplement restores Claudia to balance
The supplement Alyce handed Claudia was Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL). When taken about 30 minutes before a meal, it converts into enough stomach acid to digest food. Both Alyce and I often add digestive enzymes as well, and might also suggest beginning each meal with a teaspoon of bitter herbs to stimulate the body’s own acid and enzyme production.

One interesting sidelight of betaine is its use for people whose GERD has failed to respond to PPI acid blockers. While it’s extremely counterintuitive to add still more acid for a condition that seems to be caused by too much acid, when Alan Gaby, MD, author of Clinical Nutrition explains it, betaine makes sense. With hypochlorhydria, there is some acid present, but the stomach retains the chyme awaiting more. As the stomach keeps churning the food, even though the overall amount of acid is small the excessive churning causes some backflow of acid that’s experienced as reflux.  Adding more acid (using betaine) signals your stomach to release the chyme into your intestine.

Thanks to a simple and inexpensive supplement, Claudia’s vile taste is now history. And her yeast infections too.

1. jennifer cavender says:

Dr.E,
    I posted a comment earlier about my grandfather. The betaine hcl did help the first two days that he took it but the third day he took it he said his stomach was on fire. He had to stop and started taking his prilosec again. Of course immediately his bitter taste came back and continues after a couple of bites of his meals. He was so happy for those two days. I feel so bad for him. He does have a appointment with his gastro dr next wk. Do u have any suggestions or thoughts on this? Thank u so much!

Hi Jennifer
    Your grandfather can try taking some digestive bitters before each meal. These will stimulate his own digestive juices and facilitate digestion

3. L says:

Hi there,

Chanced upon this site due to a persistent dry mouth / halitosis issue that I’ve been experiencing for some time now. NOTE: I’m currently wearing orthodontic braces as well, but I adopt an intensive flossing/cleaning regime with a water jet flosser/waterpik.

I’ve adopted several methods:
    Visited a Chinese physician (who claimed it was due to heat in stomach as I had a previous case of acid reflux and IBS)
    Consuted a Western doctor from polyclinic (who said it wasn’t oral thrush)
    Tongue scraper
    Sugar free eclipse mints
    Raw Manuka Honey (Certified Organic, UMF 10+)
    Salt water rinse & Baking Powder
    WaterPik Flosser

Hoping to get some solutions on what I can do/take to cure the issues.

Symptoms:
    Halitosis – Fishy and bitter taste (The taste of water is bitter to me)
    Dry mouth
    White coating on tongue
    Little red spots & white coating at back of tongue
    Fishy smell in private regions (Could it be some kind of infection that’s linked with the fishy breath?)

QUESTIONS:
    Could it be a case of yeast infection or candida?

I’ve set my sights on Acidophillus and digestive enzymes. Do you think these products would work for halitosis sufferers? I’m in desperate need of a cure, as with all sufferers.

Hi L.
    Candida is a possibility. You can approach self-diagnosis by taking this questionnaire
    If you score high then order this test from Genova Diagnostics
    Then find a good holistic doc in your area and she’ll help with treatment

5. Virginia szott says:

I have all the same symptoms except I have an added one that is also very annoying–as soon as I eat anything, my stomach blows up like a balloon…HELP!

6. viv says:

I have similar symptoms of dry mouth, halitosis, white coats on tongue, bad breath, and chronic yeast infection. I have tried PPI but it didnt help. Any suggestions as to what might help me.

7. Dr. R says:

Viv. Have you tried the few simple supplements suggested in the health tip?

8. Virginia szott says:

Dr edelberg, will taking these supplements affect my (long standing) history-with diareah? I have been taking lotronix and have a welcome relief from constant diareah, so I am hesitant to discontinue use of that drug. Just wondering if interaction with lotronix and these supplements would cause undesirable effects. Thanks for your direction.

Hi Virginia
    The supplements and Lotronex should be safe together. That said, everyone is biochemically unique and if you notice some adverse effects adding the supplements then discontinue them. If the symptoms disappear, then the combination isn’t right for you. However, this should not occur

10. Samuel says:

COMMENT; Interesting story similar to my condition. Is this drug available over the counter?

11. Dr. R says:

Samuel. The supplements mentioned in the article are available at most health food stores or you can click on the links to purchase directly from WholeHealth Chicago if you wish.

12. Adewunmi Ologbonade says:

please how do i get this supplement as am experiencing the same symptom

13. mkgilbert says:

How much should I take? I am having a bitter taste in my mouth and have often noticed that feeling that stuff is just sitting in my stomach! I cut out most grains about a year ago and that seems to help. I do have hypothyroid.

14. Dr. R says:

To Adewunmi. You can go to a good health food store or simply click on the links to the supplements in the article and be taken directly to our Natural Apothecary. Good luck.

Hi MK Gilbert
    If you’re referring to the betaine, take one capsule with the small meal, 1 or 2 capsules with a larger one

16. mkgilbert says:

Thanx,I appreciate you quick reply! I’ve tried supplemental HCL before and it made my stomach burn. Does that mean I don’t need it, our just need to take less?

17. Linda Pannetti says:

I have barretts and I have been taking Omeprazole for years. I have had this sour bitter taste even before I was diagnosed. Can I still take this Betaine with Barretts

Hi Linda
    When you have Barrett’s, you’ve got to keep your acid as low as possible to reduce your risk of esophageal cancer. That said, adding Betaine, which increases your acid, is not a good idea

19. Susan says:

I have had this terrible taste in my mouth for almost 3 years now! I have had all the tests possible and am taking 3 prescriptions for acid reflux, one once a day and the other 3 times a day for over 3 months. The taste keeps getting worse and I am afraid that my esophagus is at risk. One doctor thought my valve between my small entestine and esophagus was stuck open, I but don’t know what to do next and neither do my doctors! Help, I have written in before and tried the Betaine and Enzyme combo, nothing is working!

20. Christine Milkie says:

This is the best information I’ve had in over 6 years. Tears.. I’m calling my G I doctor tomorrow. GOD BLESS WHO WROTE THIS

21. Bill Gellman says:

My symptoms certainly ECHO those of Claudia (with the exception of vaginal candida, obviously. I have been taking Nexium for at least eight years, as I have been diagnosed with GERD. The bad taste in my mouth (metallic) has been uncomfortable and ongoing for at least four-six months now.

Should I discontinue use of Nexium, and use a different brand product? Can I assume that I can find the Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL) supplement at WalMart or Target pharmacies?

Thank you very much! I look forward to some relief very soon.

Hi Bill
    Yes, switch to another med from Nexium which has indeed been associated with metallic tastes. Yes, product is at any WalMart

23. Bill Gellman says:

MANY Thanks to you for your response. I look forward to a successful change in my mouth taste on a permanent basis-

If it works, I will certainly let you know.

Thanks again!

Bill Gellman

24. Peter says:

Will the betaine HCL destroy candida yeast by itself, or do you need to also take an antifungal like caprylic acid?

Hi Peter
    You’ll need caprylic acid, too. You need not take them at the same time. Betaine is taken during meals and I suggest caprylic before meals

26. Toshua says:

I have a very toxic, nasty taste in my mouth which started today. I had my gallbladder out at 15, I am currently 25. I have had stomach problems my entire life, I’ve been given multiple types of medicines for my stomach. I have a problem with regurgitating my food. Not every time but it happens quite a bit. Also when I eat ice cream its the worst. When I was a kid it would be pain in the diaphragm area and I have grown to bring allergic to mushrooms because it would hurt my stomach to the point of tears. Now my tongue and lips swell if I have them and hurt in my stomach. Please help! The toxic taste worries me.

Hi Toshua
    If you’ve only had this toxic taste in your mouth for one day, I wouldn’t worry. These often just pass by themselves. It does sound like you might have issues with dairy. Why not try eliminating all dairy for a week or so and see if this helps

28. Karen Pasternak says:

Very interesting finding and results. Thank you.

I am experiencing very similar symptoms (minus vaginal yeast). Had been on high doses of Allicin prescribed to me by a chinese Dr. to treat chronic Lyme. Bitter taste in mouth developed after 3 months of Allicin (that was a month ago). Went into sinuses, head, mouth. Also indigestion. Very distressing.

Had endoscopy 2 weeks ago which came out perfect. Just started double dose of Nexium. No effect for a week, then 10 days improvement, and bad again – though not AS bad.

Taking digestive enzymes too.

Where can I go and find out that this is in fact what I might have?

Also, it is a bit daunting to start a plan of treatment to increase acid, if I am not sure that this is my problem.

Are there known drs. in my area who could test me?

Kindly advise, and thank you.

29. Jomel says:

Hi Dr. I have experienced this urine-like taste in my mouth for the past few weeks, but I do not have foul breath (though it constantly crosses my mind that I do have). At times I also have dry lips and lip sores. Please advise on a possible diagnosis for these symptoms, and suggest possible treatments. Thank you :)

Hi Jomel
    Actually it sounds like you might be dehydrated. Try drinking 70-80 oz of pure water daily (until your urine looks almost clear) and see if the symptoms resolve. If not, ask your doctor for blood tests to check your kidneys

31. John says:

Interesting

32. Nitin says:

Hi Dr. I had a terrible salty taste in my mouth for last two months or so and then it changed to a sweet taste for some 15 days and now from last 3-4 days, I am having a bitter taste in mouth constantly for the whole day. This taste remains in my mouth til the time I am awake..I consulted with physicians, gastro-enterologists, and ENT Surgeons .. But couldn’t get any relief.. They could not figure out the reason for this problem. Could you please suggest what could be the probable reason and a treatment. I don’t have any other symptoms except a bit burning sensation in my stomach from last few days.

This might be an effect of bacteria in your mouth. Get a tongue scraper and scrape your tongue twice daily. Get a specific probiotic called Probiomax DDS by Xymogen. It’s only sold through doctor’s offices so if you call our apothecary 773 296 6700 you can order from WholeHealth Chicago (or through your own MD or chiropractor)

34. Yazmine says:

With the exception of the yeast infection, I have been experiencing similar issues as Claudia for over a year. I eliminated different foods and coffee which gave some temporary relief but symptoms have worsen to the point that I can’t sleep. I feel better after being up for a few hpurs. I went to the doctor a few months ago and he prescribed Omeprazole. It has not helped. After reading the information in site, out of desperation I bought a bottle of HCL with pepsin and after taking one capsule I feel so much better. I was able to take a nap without problems. Should I still follow up with my doctor?

Hi Yazmin
    If your betaine/pepsin has relieved your symptoms, stick with it and honestly you really solved your problem. No doctors needed

36. Nancy Benoit says:

I also was having a vile taste in my mouth. It came on suddenly, but was awful. Mi read that it could be caused by constipation and so started working on treatments for that which helped some but did not get rid of it. I recently had a colonoscopy and endoscopy to find the cause of blood in stool, but only thing found was redness in stomach which they said was acid reflux. I was already taking Protonic for that as a side effect of chemo done 2 years ago. So I started researching again and found this article. I found a probiotic digestive supplement with Betaine HCL and digestive aides, papaya, acidophilus and some others. If I take at 3 pills, the recommended dose before at least 1 meal, the taste is gone and digestively everything works better. So glad I found your article. Thank you!

37. Sue says:

Dr.E,
    I started having a bitter/metallic taste in my mouth about 4 months ago and thought it could be some of my medications but my PC told me it couldn’t be. This problem graduated to a loss of smell and taste. A month ago I thought I had food poisoning and had to go to the ER, but I’m not sure that’s what it was. I had diarrhea after eating a couple hours earlier and very bad stomach pains. When I finally vomited, it was projectile until dry heaves took over. I was given two bags of IV solution and some meds to help the nausea. I can’t eat red meat now and the smell of any meat being cooked repulses me. The only smell I can detect is bitter and kind of rancid. My urine also has the same rancid smell as well as my feces. I know my breath is bad because my 4 year old granddaughter told me that I smell funny. The inside of my nose seems to be irritated and red and any discharge also smells rancid. I’ve never had this problem before. Last Fall I was going to Dr. that suggested that I try Chelation Support to help rid my body of possible metals that I may have been exposed to in the Gulf War. I took these for a couple months but stopped at least 2 months before this condition started. I am very concerned about this bitter/rancid taste along with the inability to smell or taste. Do you think I may have hypochlorhydria. I do have several issues with my thyroid, including several goiters that are being watched, and I take synthroid, which had recently been adjusted to a lower dose due to my T levels being off. HELP!!!

Hi Sue
    What meds or supplements are you taking (including any means of birth control)

39. Caroline cleere says:

I have bad taste in my mouth i tryed everything

40. Linda Brashears says:

Dr.Edelberg, From Sue: My PC doc left me a message and said for me to start taking antacid, which I have and the rancid taste is persisting. My meds are as follows: Simvastatin 20mg, for cholesterol, Synthroid.05mg, Hypothyroid, Estradiol 2mg HRT (just started in Dec 2015), Venlafaxine Hydrochloride 150 mg (for anxiety), Topiramate 25 mg bid for headaches, Metoprolol 25mg, bid for rapid heart beat,I also take B complex cap, Vitamin D3, 1000 IU, Calcium 600 mg. This is all I am taking at this time. Thank you so much for your help. I am supposed to take the antacid for 2 weeks and report back to my PC doc. Thanks again.

Get advice and recommendations, delicious and time-saving recipes from The Triple Whammy Food Plan, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

Dr. Edelberg’s Health Tips contain concise bits of advice, medical news and highlights, supplement and pharmaceutical updates, stress relief ideas, and a dose of Q&As sent in by our readers. With every Health Tip, you’ll receive an easy and delicious recipe that fits nicely into The Triple Whammy Food Plan.

When you sign up to receive Health Tips, you can look forward to Dr. Edelberg’s smart and very current observations arriving in your in-box weekly. They’re packed with useful information and are often slightly irreverent. One of the most common responses to the tips is “I wish my doctor talked to me like this!”

kb

February Workshops

10-Day Detoxification Worksop

If you have been have been diagnosed at WholeHealth Chicago with fatigue, fibromyalgia, IBS, weight gain, hormone imbalances, or nutritional deficiencies, we invite you to join us at a small-group program for the Clear Change Detoxification Workshop. The Clear Change Program enhances the body’s natural metabolic detoxification process while providing adequate fuel for both cleansing and other daily activities. Monday, February 8 and 22; 5:30-7:00pm and led by Marla Feingold, Certified Clinical Nutritionist.  More>>

Awakened Body, Quiet Mind
An innovative workshop series for relieving mind/body stress and tapping into your true power and natural health led by Meghan Roekle, PsyD ..

Four meetings using a unique combination of embodiment meditation & mental inquiry for deep healing.

Fridays from 3:30-5:00pm beginning February 12th.  More>>

Monthly Mindfulness Group
Sessions will include mindfulness meditations, guided visualizations, gentle yoga movements, walking meditations, journaling, and other stress reduction exercises. The group meets on the third Monday of each month from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm. $25/month or purchase 6 months for $125 Presented by Bill Epperly, Ph.D and Renee Zambo.   More>>

Two Pleasant Steps To Increase Longevity

I’m sure there’s been a moment in your life when, on the receiving end of yet another jeremiad from the medical profession advising against one more of life’s little pleasures you shouted “Enough already!” You think back on all your sacrifices: those delectable doughnuts, the …Read More »

Fox News (Wait, I Mean Frontline) On Nutritional Supplements

Not being a TV watcher, I’d never actually seen PBS Frontline until I received some emails from patients and medical colleagues asking for my reaction to what sounded like a Fox News rant against the nutritional supplement industry. Since it’s my belief that such exposé-type …Read More »

February Sale: 20% Off Integrative Therapeutics Multivitamins

70039

We all know men and women are different, and so are their nutritional requirements. In addition, as we age, so does our need for specific nutrients. Integrative Therapeutics has created a line of multivitamins to meet the individual needs of your entire family. More>>