Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and ailments, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more. Please mouse over the letters to get started. We hope you enjoy browsing.

A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth

Here’s another persistent patient story, a woman who endured years of symptoms and no definite answers. Then, six months ago, when her symptoms went into high gear, she knew she had to do something.

I first met Claudia, a bright, healthy looking woman, just a few weeks ago. She told me her longstanding digestive symptoms had started in her teens, manifesting as bloating, gas, and nausea after meals. Despite being written off as irritable bowel syndrome, she could detect no correlation to stress or food sensitivities. For Claudia, eating itself was never a pleasurable experience. In fact, once after a particularly stressful relationship when she became depressed and briefly stopped eating much at all, her digestive symptoms actually went away.

In her thirties, by avoiding junk foods she did a little better, but she was never “just fine.” Then, out of the blue, about six months ago, she began having a truly awful taste in her mouth, described as “bitter, sour, acid-y, disgusting!”

Again she played detective and tried to locate culprit foods, but she could find nothing consistent. By eating small meals, the vile taste would relent for a couple hours, but inevitably it would return. Claudia also mentioned she’d been having chronic vaginal yeast infections every four or five weeks, each severe enough to require treatment.

She took her problems to a gastroenterologist who suggested she take Nexium (to block acid production), but it had absolutely no effect. Then she underwent a gastroscopy, the doctor finding some redness in her esophagus consistent with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, aka acid reflux or heartburn). He told her to double her Nexium. When Claudia tried it, her symptoms dramatically worsened. He suggested she keep taking the Nexium, but she chose not to and cancelled further appointments with him.

Next Claudia went to her colon therapist, my friend Alyce Sorokie at Partners in Wellness, who, after listening to her symptoms, suggested she try a particular supplement. Within a few days Claudia felt fine, the vile taste gone and her digestive misery also a memory. She felt better than she had in years. Not to disparage her gastroenterologist, but if he’d seen the supplement, he would have had his own “Aha!” moment and understood why his Nexium made everything worse. He also might have suggested some additional testing that would have been both uncomfortable and expensive, but wouldn’t have changed Claudia’s treatment one iota.

Hypochlorhydria
Claudia had made an appointment with me prior to receiving her supplement from Alyce, wanting an MD to explain just what was going on and why she needed this particular supplement. I explained that what she had was called hypochlorhydria, the medical term for when a person’s stomach isn’t producing enough acid to digest food. It’s actually far more common than people realize. The cause can be genetic or secondary to a separate condition, like hypothyroidism (low thyroid) or an autoimmune disorder that destroys the acid-producing cells in the stomach.

Most often, because people have varying amounts of stomach acid, hypochlorhydria just appears, sometimes starting early in life as mild chronic indigestion and then slowly worsening.

The condition is not all that easy to diagnose, and probably explains why hypochlorhydria is often overlooked as a possible cause of digestive symptoms. Strictly speaking, to diagnose it the doctor needs a rather expensive device called a Heidelberg machine that measures the acidity (pH) of the stomach. When I telephoned two gastroenterologists, neither owned one. Interestingly, when gastroenterologists are down there in your stomach with their gastroscopes, they’re endlessly looking for evidence of too much acid (“redness,” “ulcers”) and hunting for the ulcer-causing bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), but they don’t check for insufficient acid.

Also, probably in response to the bloated advertising budgets of Big Pharma, gastroenterologists (and family practitioners and internists as well) routinely prescribe the acid-reducing drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)—including Nexium, Prevacid, AcipHex, and Dexilant–for just about every digestive symptom known.

As you might have guessed, because the job of PPIs is to reduce stomach acid, giving a PPI to someone with hypochlorhydria only makes matters worse, as it did when Claudia doubled her Nexium dose. In addition, deigning to recommend something as mundane as a nutritional supplement is beneath the dignity of most gastroenterologists, so patients with hypochlorhydria often go untreated for years.

Your impressive GI tract
To understand Claudia’s symptoms, picture your gastrointestinal (GI) tract as the long continuous tube it is, one end of which you wipe with a linen napkin, the other with Charmin. The GI system is really an external organ, a continuation of your skin (note how it turns inward at your lips). Gastroenterologists jokingly think of themselves as hard-working dermatologists.

When you take a bite of anything–from a Big Mac to that $500 meal over at Alinea–your teeth grind the food to a pulp that your mouth mixes with digestive enzyme-laden saliva, and after a few seconds it all plunges southward toward your stomach. Yes, there’s something undeniably ephemeral about fine dining. Once in your stomach, the whole mess is churned with pure hydrochloric acid and still more enzymes into a thick sludge called chyme (pronounced kim with a long i). Burger King chyme and Alinea chyme would be visibly indistinguishable from each other, but fortunately everything is far removed from your visual field and you can continue to enjoy your meal.

Your stomach then forces the chyme into the 22 feet of your small intestine for further digestion plus the absorption of all the nutrients you need to keep going in life. Once the nutrients have been extracted, the chyme is propelled into your large intestine, where excess fluid is extracted and…you know the rest.

With hypochlorhydria, the whole process grinds to a halt. Your chewed-up food is held in your stomach, feeling like dead weight, needing more acid to break it down and convert it to chyme. As Claudia described, the act of eating becomes distinctly unpleasurable. The vile taste she experienced comes from slowly putrefying food, sitting there. Vaginal Candida overgrowth is a common side effect of hypochlorhydria because inadequate acid throws off the balance of good and bad bacteria, allowing yeast to flourish. Not surprisingly, certain nutritional deficiencies also develop, notably vitamin B-12, which requires stomach acid to be absorbed.

A simple supplement restores Claudia to balance
The supplement Alyce handed Claudia was Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL). When taken about 30 minutes before a meal, it converts into enough stomach acid to digest food. Both Alyce and I often add digestive enzymes as well, and might also suggest beginning each meal with a teaspoon of bitter herbs to stimulate the body’s own acid and enzyme production.

One interesting sidelight of betaine is its use for people whose GERD has failed to respond to PPI acid blockers. While it’s extremely counterintuitive to add still more acid for a condition that seems to be caused by too much acid, when Alan Gaby, MD, author of Clinical Nutrition explains it, betaine makes sense. With hypochlorhydria, there is some acid present, but the stomach retains the chyme awaiting more. As the stomach keeps churning the food, even though the overall amount of acid is small the excessive churning causes some backflow of acid that’s experienced as reflux.  Adding more acid (using betaine) signals your stomach to release the chyme into your intestine.

Thanks to a simple and inexpensive supplement, Claudia’s vile taste is now history. And her yeast infections too.

1. Sabrina Pasztor says:

Thanks Dr. Edelberg for an incredibly informative and insightful narrative on GERD/acid production and the true nature of our digestive processes. I too was diagnosed with GERD several months ago, was prescribed Prilosec which severely exacerbated the symptoms (and made me feel almost delirious/mentally compromised in addition to the digestive pain), and opted to look in to completely natural and holistic healing (I had such severe chest pain from the GERD I was in the ER four times before we figured it out, and I had that bitter awful mouth taste for months). I’ve been taking Betaine/HCL supplements, and also found DGL (licorice) 30 minutes before meals to be very helpful. Most importantly, I changed my eating habits completely, have lost 25 pounds, and my fibromyalgia, which you had helped with so wonderfully several years ago, is also almost completely gone. I eat probiotics in my yogurt, and digestive enzymes with my food. I now firmly believe that my health lies in my gut, because all the inflammatory symptoms I’ve had for many years are gone/significantly reduced. Such “simple” changes have such a great impact. I am grateful to have practitioners in the world like you and your staff who focus on alternative, integrative healing practices rather than “a pill” equaling the immediate and only solution for everything.Thank you!

2. Jim says:

Thanks for another interesting article. I’m wondering if someone with long standing heartburn, reflux, and some Barret’s esophagus should consider the possibility that they have hypochlorhydria even though they have responded well to PPI’s. Having had 40 years of these issues, it probably doesn’t make sense to experiment with a supplement that increases acid, does it? (On my own that is.)

Hi Jim
    If your Barrett’s has been seen on the gastroscope and you have responded to PPIs, then betaine is not for you

4. Gina Pera says:

Great info! It’s just crazy how GI docs have no clue about this. Thank you, Dr. E!

5. Ann Raven says:

I find this very interesting!

6. Mel N. says:

I will be coming in to buy some betaine hydrochloride! I’ve read a lot about it lately. My PPIs are not working. This article couldn’t have come at a better time!
    Thanks for all that you do!
    Melissa N.

7. Marva says:

Good-afternoon, Dr. Edelberg, I’ve been experiencing bad taste in mouth for about two years and is happy to read this column. How can I obtain this supplement? I would really like to try. I am so frustrated, I need some help.

Thanks in advance,
    Marva.

8. Yvonne says:

Hello,

I have had issues with my GI tract for about 3 years now. Firstly I had to be treated for Helicobacter with several antibiotic treatments and am cured now – however after taking a lot PPI I suddenly started to develop a sour/bitter taste in my mouth which is highly irritating – even PPi’s wont help. I have had several endoscopies to confirm light inflammation of the esophagus.
    Thank you.
    Should I try above method?

9. Dr. R says:

I would recommend you try the suggestions above; they are simple and safe when taken as directed. You might also find an integrative physician in your area to assist you in finding additional solutions.

10. karon moffatt says:

At the moment I am experiencing all these symptoms, since my pregnancies ive been taking omaprozole 10mg but now I have phlemge on the back of my throat with
    this tinny taste in my mouth wot can I take 2 get rid of it, its really distracting my daily duties pleade advise karon

That metallic taste is a known side effect some people experience with omperazole. You can try your luck with difference medications in that same general group, like Dexilant or Prilosec, or try using a natural product like DGL http://shop.wholehealthchicago.com/supplements-by-condition/digestive-support/dgl-plus.html

12. Andrea says:

Hi. My
    Question is I have been on nexium for. Along time. I have the bad taste all the time and feel like food is sitting in my throat and constant Naseous all day. So annoying. I had an endoscopy (sp) and said my esposhagus “door” was tilted but otherwise fine. Would this supplement help. So desperate

Hi Andrea
    I would start with the DGL and try one bottle only.If you are still having the same symptoms, go back to your gastroenterologist and ask him to consider checking how efficiently your stomach empties itself of food. These are called “motility studies” and if your stomach doesn’t empty well, there are good prescription meds for this
    Dr E

14. daisy says:

I found this article very interesting…thanks Dr Edelberg…

15. lori says:

I think I have this as my symptoms are similar, where do I get this supplement, thanks

16. Dr. R says:

Hi Lori. You can obtain the supplements listed in this health tip at most good health food stores or just click on the links in the article to go directly to WholeHealth Chicago’s Natural Apothecary. Good luck.

17. Annie says:

I feel like I have the same every time I go to the gynecologist I always have a yeast infection not matter what I do about two weeks ago my belly started hurting really bad and not matter what I do the pain don’t seem to go away and this bad mouth taste has come into play is horrible and disgusting I hate it I hope this is also my answer I always have stomach problems but this has become beyond ridiculous

Hi Annie
    This does sound like chronic candida (yeast) issues. It is probably worth having someone test you for stool and vaginal candida and get a blood test testing to see if your immune system is creating antibodies to candida (this is a way we test to see if candida is there at all).
    If the tests are positive, a 6 week course of Diflucan or Sporanox (anti candida meds) may be needed

19. Virginia szott says:

My history is complicated. When I turned about 30 years old I began having constant diarrah. I’m talking 24/7, my life was very much altered due to this condition. About 9 years ago a dr prescribed LOTRONEX.i am constipated 24/7 but I am literally in heaven not having the paranoid fear of constant diarrah. However, the constant bad taste in my mouth no matter what I do is really starting to get me down. I don’t enjoy any type of wine or alcohol, I am starting to find myself not enjoying my meals and I have a constant paranoia of bad breath. I’ve tried the acid reflux meds—that ended in violent bouts of inconvenient diahreah. HELP

Hi Virginia
    The taste issue is unfortunately most likely from the Lotronex. This is printed from the drug’s website–: Memory effects, tremors, dreams, cognitive function disorders, disturbances of sense of taste, disorders of equilibrium, confusion, sedation, and hypoesthesia.
    You might try switching to a very old but generally side effect free med for chronic diarrhea called Lomotil–talk to your doctor about it. You start at a low dose and slowly increase until you are happy with your bowels
    Dr E

21. Susan Chatlos says:

I have had a terrible taste in my mouth for over 2 years now! I discribe it as a rotten lime or acidity taste. I have to chew gum all day in order to stay sane. I have been sent to the dentist, several doctors who sent a camera down my throat, exrays, mri; ear, nose and throat doctor who stuck a tube in my nose to look behind my voice box. He said it was classic acid reflux. My indigestion got a little better I think but the taste in my mouth got worse. I think the lack of acid is my problem. I also had a third of my thyroid remove 15 years ago and I know it isn’t an exact science to regulate my Armour med. Thank you for your information and would like to know what I do with it? Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan
    If no one actually looked into your stomach to diagnose the reflux, then that may not be the culprit. I would suggest the supplement Betaine which you would take during a meal. This would increase your stomach acidity, help your digestion, and may actually help with reflux. Try it for a couple of weeks and see if your bad taste starts to clear. Also remember to use a tongue scraper every single day after brushing your teeth
    Dr E

23. Virginia szott says:

My original correspondence was sent to you on Feb 1p, 2015. I live in Florida during the winter months. In May I will be back in BARRINGTON. Il. I would like to come in to see you and try to deal with my problems with you directly. Is that possible?

24. Dr. R says:

Yes Virginia. Call the office for an appointment. 773-296-6700

25. Susan Chatlos says:

Thanks for the followup. I have stopped taking my acid reflux script and started Betaine HCL and Digest Smart of Seniors for enzymes. I will let you know any results.
    Susan

26. sari sutton says:

I have a very similar story to Claudia. I can’t get rid of this nasty bitter taste in my mouth for 3 months. Havee had an enoscopy. They said mild gastritis and acid reflux.went to a good holistic doctor but he didn’t mention hydrochloride. What should I do? Tryed everything. Even aloe vera juice.

27. Susan Chatlos says:

This is a followup. I have now been taking Betaine HCL and an enzyme supplement for the last 8 days. Stopped my Acid Reflux meds same day. My stomach feels better but the terrrible taste in my mouth is still there. Is it too early to make a difference? Thanks, Susan

Hi Sari
    Yes, a trial of betaine hydrochloride is perfectly reasonable

29. Dr. R says:

Give it a good couple of weeks Susan and expect a gradual and incremental change.

30. Susan Chatlos says:

I will continue to see if taste improves, thanks, Susan

31. Charlene says:

Dear Dr. Edelberg
    Over the years I have tried every ppi out there and get the same results. By evening my throat gurgles, like air or gas is trapped, and i mean loudly (by the way I never burp) and I usually get so bloated i look pregnant, this is from ppi’s.
    I just stopped pantoprazole after 2 months due to the above. Plus I have this terrible taste in my mouth,which is new from the meds.. I was scoped years ago and there was a little redness distally. What do you recommend for me? it is so hard for me to explain these side effects to my dr. and i don’t know anyone who experiences this from ppi’s. Thanks so much for your help.

Hi Charlene
    Change in both taste and digestion have been reported as side effects from the PPI family. You might try a month of using digestive enzymes and betaine with each meal. Although it seems counterintuitive to add more acid (i.e., betaine), sometimes it’s a condition called hypochlorhydria (too little acid) behind your symptoms. If you get no improvement after a month, don’t continue the supplements

33. Anna Schroeder says:

I am interested in these supplements as I have been having a terrible bad taste in my mouth for past couple of months along with an IBS pain in right side. I do not have an appendix or orvaries. I eat healthy and dentist said my teeth were in good shape.

34. Hi,I find your information very interesting. I have suffered from this exact condition for many years now,but it’s got so bad I really have to take action as I just can’t live with this anymore. I too have been subscribed Nexium 20 Mgs,but it just seems to be making my condition worse. I try to suck peppermints or anything to try to get rid of this terrible taste in my mouth,but as soon as I finish,the taste is there again. I am overweight,which I know doesn’t help things,but even when I had lost the weight,it still happens. I have also tried eating small meals but to no avail.
    I have purchased the Betaine H C L and am starting them today,and I’m going to try these instead of my Nexium. I did have a gastric bypass surgery about 8 years ago,but I had it reversed 2 years later due to severe medical problems. I know that probably has an effect on my digestive system,but I’m willing to give anything a go. I really enjoyed reading your article,and all the people that also replied. I really was surprised with how many people suffer from this condition. I live in Australia,and really enjoy your articles.
    Cheers Carol

35. Sierra says:

Hi, after reading this article I think I might actually have hypochlorhydria, I am twenty years old and have been diagnosed with so many different diseases— one being IBS. When I was ten I use to get these outrageous stomach pains out of no where (this came and gone for a few years) When I was sixteen I then started experiencing these pains again i learned when they were coming on because I would get this weird chocky taste in my mouth, I knew I was getting sick when I felt that feeling in my mouth. This pain got so bad for me when I was eighteen that I stopped eating completely for a few months and lived off of water and a few crackers here and there I went from 120lbs to 94lbs because it hurt so bad that I didn’t want to eat. Everything I did/still do doesn’t help. I also would feel like sometimes I was going to throw up (but knew I wasn’t going to) because of how painful the pains were. The last time I had a procedure done on me I was told that I had a red irritation with one of my intestines from it being “irritated” and “inflamed” and when I got blood work done multiple times I was told I have an autoimmune disease but they’re not sure what it could be— or that it was possibley Lupus because it runs in my family and I also have all the symptoms for that with me feeling weak, overly tired, and constantly getting bad chest pains (that make it dificault to breathe), ect. I have been in and out of the hospital, specialists offices, and doctors offices and had everything done to me so many times that they don’t want to help me because they don’t know what’s wrong with me. I want to know what’s wrong with me, I’m in pain constantly with chest pains and stomach pains. I’ve been told that it’s “acid reflex” but it’s not— I NEVER GET HEARTBURN, and have been put on every type of medicine for it and it doesn’t change anything. I just want to know what it wrong with me. Please help!!

36. Dr. R says:

Hi Sierra. If you live near Chicago you may want to see one of our integrative physicians for a consult/evaluation. Otherwise, look for docs in your area that specialize in integrative and/functional medicine. They may be able to recommend additional options for you..

37. janice says:

I have also suffered with a horrible taste but only the right side of my mouth. This has been going on for 5 YEARS!
    I am at my wits end and it has zapped all the joy from my life. I wonder if this condition could be the culprit? I have had all kinds of dental work done and redone to no avail. I have seen ENTS,ORAL ORAL SURGEONSS,ORAL HEALTH SPECIALISTS IN BOSTON NO ANSWERS.
    I don’t really have too much trouble with indigestion or stomach problems except occasional heartburn etc.
    Do you think it is possible that this condition would cause bad taste on only one side? Any insight into this would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Hi Janice
    We think our bodies are symmetrical, namely that everything on the left side is the same as on the right, but we’re not. For example, I had one patient recently who had armpit odor only under one arm. I suggest giving the betaine a try. If you get relief, fine. If not, add digestive enzymes. If the combination doesn’t work, then at least you’ll know the issue is not undigested food
    Dr E

39. Becky morales says:

Please help me I’m having the same problems you are having my mouth has a bad taste everytime I eat I feel sick I’m very constipated I’m bloated I can’t even have meal please let me no

40. Cynthia Ntie says:

Where can I buy the supplement BetaineHCL

41. Dr. R says:

Cynthia. Betaine HCL can be purchased at a good health food store or http://shop.wholehealthchicago.com/betaine-hcl-1267.html

42. Allen Lichte says:

thank you for the info, my mouth is so acidy tasting and when I walk or do anything I experience the same and such pain with it. I haven’t yet tried you remedy but I will. Al

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth"

Dr. Edelberg’s Health Tips contain concise bits of advice, medical news and highlights, supplement and pharmaceutical updates, stress relief ideas, and a dose of Q&As sent in by our readers. With every Health Tip, you’ll receive an easy and delicious recipe that fits nicely into The Triple Whammy Food Plan.

When you sign up to receive Health Tips, you can look forward to Dr. Edelberg’s smart and very current observations arriving in your in-box weekly. They’re packed with useful information and are often slightly irreverent. One of the most common responses to the tips is “I wish my doctor talked to me like this!”

kb

St. John’s Wort on Sale in May

HyperiMed

Ease mild depression, anxiety, stress, and chronic pain with St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum).  The broader effect of St. John’s wort (HyperMed) keeps serotonin, GABA, norepinephrine, dopamine, and L-Glutamate circulating…and you happier.  Read More »

May Workshops

Fully Alive in the Here and Now:
A Spring Stress Cleanse

Sundays, May 31 – June 21
2:00pm to 4:00 pm.

Presented by Bill Epperly, Ph.D and Renee Zambo
more>>

Weight Loss the Qigong Way

Saturday, May 30
3:00 – 4:00 pm

How would you like to lose weight and keep it off?  No gimmicks, honest!  Learn unique, non-traditional ancient Chinese techniques to help increase your metabolism and supports weight loss.

Presented by Samson Wong
more>>

Nutritional Treatments For Mental Health

If you’ve experienced depression, anxiety, or ADD or if you’re just curious about why everyone you know seems to be taking a mental health med these days, you might want to glance at “America’s State of Mind,” a report on our current and incredibly pervasive …Read More »

On Good Bacteria, Enemas, And Your Health

In certain cultures, like middle class Jews growing up in Hyde Park in the 1950s, everyone remembers being chased through their home by a well-meaning mom armed with an enema bag. “Dr. Nachman said you needed this for a poopy!” I am tearful, dressed only …Read More »

Get advice and recommendations, delicious and time-saving recipes from The Triple Whammy Food Plan, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!