Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and ailments, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more. Please mouse over the letters to get started. We hope you enjoy browsing.

A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth

Here’s another persistent patient story, a woman who endured years of symptoms and no definite answers. Then, six months ago, when her symptoms went into high gear, she knew she had to do something.

I first met Claudia, a bright, healthy looking woman, just a few weeks ago. She told me her longstanding digestive symptoms had started in her teens, manifesting as bloating, gas, and nausea after meals. Despite being written off as irritable bowel syndrome, she could detect no correlation to stress or food sensitivities. For Claudia, eating itself was never a pleasurable experience. In fact, once after a particularly stressful relationship when she became depressed and briefly stopped eating much at all, her digestive symptoms actually went away.

In her thirties, by avoiding junk foods she did a little better, but she was never “just fine.” Then, out of the blue, about six months ago, she began having a truly awful taste in her mouth, described as “bitter, sour, acid-y, disgusting!”

Again she played detective and tried to locate culprit foods, but she could find nothing consistent. By eating small meals, the vile taste would relent for a couple hours, but inevitably it would return. Claudia also mentioned she’d been having chronic vaginal yeast infections every four or five weeks, each severe enough to require treatment.

She took her problems to a gastroenterologist who suggested she take Nexium (to block acid production), but it had absolutely no effect. Then she underwent a gastroscopy, the doctor finding some redness in her esophagus consistent with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD, aka acid reflux or heartburn). He told her to double her Nexium. When Claudia tried it, her symptoms dramatically worsened. He suggested she keep taking the Nexium, but she chose not to and cancelled further appointments with him.

Next Claudia went to her colon therapist, my friend Alyce Sorokie at Partners in Wellness, who, after listening to her symptoms, suggested she try a particular supplement. Within a few days Claudia felt fine, the vile taste gone and her digestive misery also a memory. She felt better than she had in years. Not to disparage her gastroenterologist, but if he’d seen the supplement, he would have had his own “Aha!” moment and understood why his Nexium made everything worse. He also might have suggested some additional testing that would have been both uncomfortable and expensive, but wouldn’t have changed Claudia’s treatment one iota.

Claudia had made an appointment with me prior to receiving her supplement from Alyce, wanting an MD to explain just what was going on and why she needed this particular supplement. I explained that what she had was called hypochlorhydria, the medical term for when a person’s stomach isn’t producing enough acid to digest food. It’s actually far more common than people realize. The cause can be genetic or secondary to a separate condition, like hypothyroidism (low thyroid) or an autoimmune disorder that destroys the acid-producing cells in the stomach.

Most often, because people have varying amounts of stomach acid, hypochlorhydria just appears, sometimes starting early in life as mild chronic indigestion and then slowly worsening.

The condition is not all that easy to diagnose, and probably explains why hypochlorhydria is often overlooked as a possible cause of digestive symptoms. Strictly speaking, to diagnose it the doctor needs a rather expensive device called a Heidelberg machine that measures the acidity (pH) of the stomach. When I telephoned two gastroenterologists, neither owned one. Interestingly, when gastroenterologists are down there in your stomach with their gastroscopes, they’re endlessly looking for evidence of too much acid (“redness,” “ulcers”) and hunting for the ulcer-causing bacterium Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), but they don’t check for insufficient acid.

Also, probably in response to the bloated advertising budgets of Big Pharma, gastroenterologists (and family practitioners and internists as well) routinely prescribe the acid-reducing drugs called proton pump inhibitors (PPIs)—including Nexium, Prevacid, AcipHex, and Dexilant–for just about every digestive symptom known.

As you might have guessed, because the job of PPIs is to reduce stomach acid, giving a PPI to someone with hypochlorhydria only makes matters worse, as it did when Claudia doubled her Nexium dose. In addition, deigning to recommend something as mundane as a nutritional supplement is beneath the dignity of most gastroenterologists, so patients with hypochlorhydria often go untreated for years.

Your impressive GI tract
To understand Claudia’s symptoms, picture your gastrointestinal (GI) tract as the long continuous tube it is, one end of which you wipe with a linen napkin, the other with Charmin. The GI system is really an external organ, a continuation of your skin (note how it turns inward at your lips). Gastroenterologists jokingly think of themselves as hard-working dermatologists.

When you take a bite of anything–from a Big Mac to that $500 meal over at Alinea–your teeth grind the food to a pulp that your mouth mixes with digestive enzyme-laden saliva, and after a few seconds it all plunges southward toward your stomach. Yes, there’s something undeniably ephemeral about fine dining. Once in your stomach, the whole mess is churned with pure hydrochloric acid and still more enzymes into a thick sludge called chyme (pronounced kim with a long i). Burger King chyme and Alinea chyme would be visibly indistinguishable from each other, but fortunately everything is far removed from your visual field and you can continue to enjoy your meal.

Your stomach then forces the chyme into the 22 feet of your small intestine for further digestion plus the absorption of all the nutrients you need to keep going in life. Once the nutrients have been extracted, the chyme is propelled into your large intestine, where excess fluid is extracted and…you know the rest.

With hypochlorhydria, the whole process grinds to a halt. Your chewed-up food is held in your stomach, feeling like dead weight, needing more acid to break it down and convert it to chyme. As Claudia described, the act of eating becomes distinctly unpleasurable. The vile taste she experienced comes from slowly putrefying food, sitting there. Vaginal Candida overgrowth is a common side effect of hypochlorhydria because inadequate acid throws off the balance of good and bad bacteria, allowing yeast to flourish. Not surprisingly, certain nutritional deficiencies also develop, notably vitamin B-12, which requires stomach acid to be absorbed.

A simple supplement restores Claudia to balance
The supplement Alyce handed Claudia was Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL). When taken about 30 minutes before a meal, it converts into enough stomach acid to digest food. Both Alyce and I often add digestive enzymes as well, and might also suggest beginning each meal with a teaspoon of bitter herbs to stimulate the body’s own acid and enzyme production.

One interesting sidelight of betaine is its use for people whose GERD has failed to respond to PPI acid blockers. While it’s extremely counterintuitive to add still more acid for a condition that seems to be caused by too much acid, when Alan Gaby, MD, author of Clinical Nutrition explains it, betaine makes sense. With hypochlorhydria, there is some acid present, but the stomach retains the chyme awaiting more. As the stomach keeps churning the food, even though the overall amount of acid is small the excessive churning causes some backflow of acid that’s experienced as reflux.  Adding more acid (using betaine) signals your stomach to release the chyme into your intestine.

Thanks to a simple and inexpensive supplement, Claudia’s vile taste is now history. And her yeast infections too.

Hi Jennifer
    Your grandfather can try taking some digestive bitters before each meal. These will stimulate his own digestive juices and facilitate digestion

2. L says:

Hi there,

Chanced upon this site due to a persistent dry mouth / halitosis issue that I’ve been experiencing for some time now. NOTE: I’m currently wearing orthodontic braces as well, but I adopt an intensive flossing/cleaning regime with a water jet flosser/waterpik.

I’ve adopted several methods:
    Visited a Chinese physician (who claimed it was due to heat in stomach as I had a previous case of acid reflux and IBS)
    Consuted a Western doctor from polyclinic (who said it wasn’t oral thrush)
    Tongue scraper
    Sugar free eclipse mints
    Raw Manuka Honey (Certified Organic, UMF 10+)
    Salt water rinse & Baking Powder
    WaterPik Flosser

Hoping to get some solutions on what I can do/take to cure the issues.

Halitosis – Fishy and bitter taste (The taste of water is bitter to me)
    Dry mouth
    White coating on tongue
    Little red spots & white coating at back of tongue
    Fishy smell in private regions (Could it be some kind of infection that’s linked with the fishy breath?)

Could it be a case of yeast infection or candida?

I’ve set my sights on Acidophillus and digestive enzymes. Do you think these products would work for halitosis sufferers? I’m in desperate need of a cure, as with all sufferers.

Hi L.
    Candida is a possibility. You can approach self-diagnosis by taking this questionnaire
    If you score high then order this test from Genova Diagnostics
    Then find a good holistic doc in your area and she’ll help with treatment

4. Virginia szott says:

I have all the same symptoms except I have an added one that is also very annoying–as soon as I eat anything, my stomach blows up like a balloon…HELP!

5. viv says:

I have similar symptoms of dry mouth, halitosis, white coats on tongue, bad breath, and chronic yeast infection. I have tried PPI but it didnt help. Any suggestions as to what might help me.

6. Dr. R says:

Viv. Have you tried the few simple supplements suggested in the health tip?

7. Virginia szott says:

Dr edelberg, will taking these supplements affect my (long standing) history-with diareah? I have been taking lotronix and have a welcome relief from constant diareah, so I am hesitant to discontinue use of that drug. Just wondering if interaction with lotronix and these supplements would cause undesirable effects. Thanks for your direction.

Hi Virginia
    The supplements and Lotronex should be safe together. That said, everyone is biochemically unique and if you notice some adverse effects adding the supplements then discontinue them. If the symptoms disappear, then the combination isn’t right for you. However, this should not occur

9. Samuel says:

COMMENT; Interesting story similar to my condition. Is this drug available over the counter?

10. Dr. R says:

Samuel. The supplements mentioned in the article are available at most health food stores or you can click on the links to purchase directly from WholeHealth Chicago if you wish.

11. Adewunmi Ologbonade says:

please how do i get this supplement as am experiencing the same symptom

12. mkgilbert says:

How much should I take? I am having a bitter taste in my mouth and have often noticed that feeling that stuff is just sitting in my stomach! I cut out most grains about a year ago and that seems to help. I do have hypothyroid.

13. Dr. R says:

To Adewunmi. You can go to a good health food store or simply click on the links to the supplements in the article and be taken directly to our Natural Apothecary. Good luck.

Hi MK Gilbert
    If you’re referring to the betaine, take one capsule with the small meal, 1 or 2 capsules with a larger one

15. mkgilbert says:

Thanx,I appreciate you quick reply! I’ve tried supplemental HCL before and it made my stomach burn. Does that mean I don’t need it, our just need to take less?

16. Linda Pannetti says:

I have barretts and I have been taking Omeprazole for years. I have had this sour bitter taste even before I was diagnosed. Can I still take this Betaine with Barretts

Hi Linda
    When you have Barrett’s, you’ve got to keep your acid as low as possible to reduce your risk of esophageal cancer. That said, adding Betaine, which increases your acid, is not a good idea

18. Susan says:

I have had this terrible taste in my mouth for almost 3 years now! I have had all the tests possible and am taking 3 prescriptions for acid reflux, one once a day and the other 3 times a day for over 3 months. The taste keeps getting worse and I am afraid that my esophagus is at risk. One doctor thought my valve between my small entestine and esophagus was stuck open, I but don’t know what to do next and neither do my doctors! Help, I have written in before and tried the Betaine and Enzyme combo, nothing is working!

19. Christine Milkie says:

This is the best information I’ve had in over 6 years. Tears.. I’m calling my G I doctor tomorrow. GOD BLESS WHO WROTE THIS

20. Bill Gellman says:

My symptoms certainly ECHO those of Claudia (with the exception of vaginal candida, obviously. I have been taking Nexium for at least eight years, as I have been diagnosed with GERD. The bad taste in my mouth (metallic) has been uncomfortable and ongoing for at least four-six months now.

Should I discontinue use of Nexium, and use a different brand product? Can I assume that I can find the Betaine Hydrochloride (Betaine HCL) supplement at WalMart or Target pharmacies?

Thank you very much! I look forward to some relief very soon.

Hi Bill
    Yes, switch to another med from Nexium which has indeed been associated with metallic tastes. Yes, product is at any WalMart

22. Bill Gellman says:

MANY Thanks to you for your response. I look forward to a successful change in my mouth taste on a permanent basis-

If it works, I will certainly let you know.

Thanks again!

Bill Gellman

23. Peter says:

Will the betaine HCL destroy candida yeast by itself, or do you need to also take an antifungal like caprylic acid?

Hi Peter
    You’ll need caprylic acid, too. You need not take them at the same time. Betaine is taken during meals and I suggest caprylic before meals

1 Pings/Trackbacks for "A Disgusting Taste in Her Mouth"

Get advice and recommendations, delicious and time-saving recipes from The Triple Whammy Food Plan, medical news, supplement reviews, birthday discounts, and more!

Dr. Edelberg’s Health Tips contain concise bits of advice, medical news and highlights, supplement and pharmaceutical updates, stress relief ideas, and a dose of Q&As sent in by our readers. With every Health Tip, you’ll receive an easy and delicious recipe that fits nicely into The Triple Whammy Food Plan.

When you sign up to receive Health Tips, you can look forward to Dr. Edelberg’s smart and very current observations arriving in your in-box weekly. They’re packed with useful information and are often slightly irreverent. One of the most common responses to the tips is “I wish my doctor talked to me like this!”

Weight Loss Class the Qigong Way

Sunday, November 1 2:00 – 3:00 PM WholeHealth Chicago 2522 N. Lincoln Avenue, Chicago Non-traditional weight loss techniques. How would you like to lose weight and keep it off?  No gimmicks, …More Information »

Monthly Mindfulness Group

The challenges of contemporary life make it all too easy to accumulate stress. Without the proper attention, stress builds until we feel overwhelmed and as if we are living “in …More Information »

Light Boxes on Sale During October

If the dark days of winter make you feel down and sluggish, or if you start to crave more carbs, gain weight, and exercise less, you may have SAD or one of its variations. More>>