Knowledge Base

Welcome to our extensive library of articles on health concerns and conditions, alternative therapies, nutritional supplements, and much more.

Welcome Casey Kelley, MD

Finding Dr. Casey Kelley has been an 11-year project for me. That’s how long I’ve been scanning the horizon for the perfect holistically oriented MD associate. And believe me this project was no walk in the park.

Overall, newly minted MDs avoid primary care specialties (family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics) because by choosing one of them they’ll earn barely enough to pay off their medical school loans. Each time I’d actually locate a well-trained primary care physician, I’d quickly discover that while he or she might “like” the idea of integrative medicine the number who’d actually be willing to devote their professional career to a holistically oriented practice was excruciatingly small.

The money, for one, but also the fact that you need to spend some real time learning about alternative medicine. After four years of college, four in medical school, and three in residency training, most doctors simply don’t want to start another educational project. Unless you’re someone who really wants to learn integrative medicine. I mean really.

Hence, my 11-year quest and my delight as I welcome Casey Kelley, MD, to WholeHealth Chicago.

As you’ll see from her biography, early in her training Dr. Kelley “knew” she was going to practice integrative medicine. But because integrative medicine isn’t taught in medical school or residency, it becomes a DIY venture, or what’s now called self-directed learning. This is what I did myself, 20 years ago: taking courses in other cities sponsored by various holistic and alternative associations, reading extensively about naturopathic, chiropractic, homeopathic, and Chinese medicine, learning from practitioners of these essential alternatives to mainstream medicine.

Dr. Kelley completed her residency in family medicine here in Chicago. Family medicine is the perfect specialty to use as a starting point for integrative medicine because you’re taught a little bit of everything from the conventional medical point of view. You’re also taught when to refer patients to specialists and, after a few years, you learn which medical centers have the best specialists for your patient’s particular problem. By the time you’ve finished your training, there’s little you haven’t seen, disease-wise.

But it was by attending meetings of the American Holistic Medical Association, where the several hundred physicians who are serious about integrative medicine meet annually, that Dr. Kelley became very interested in a particular branch of integrative medicine called functional medicine.

Functional medicine
Click on that link for a brief overview of functional medicine. Essentially, this personalized, science-based approach perceives every individual as a genetically unique network of functioning systems (as indeed you are). When everything is working well together–and this is accomplished by healthful balanced living, good nutrition, regular exercise, and avoiding toxins–the body’s proud owner is rewarded with a rich, vital, and long life.

Functional medicine physicians view symptoms as imbalances in the function of body systems, including digestion and absorption, hormone balance, detoxification, immunity, and neurotransmitters. Once any imbalances are located and corrected, generally with natural therapies, your body begins its own self-healing process.

Health is seen as a positive state in itself–not merely the absence of disease.

Dr. Kelley is an active member of the Institute of Functional Medicine and gears her healing philosophy accordingly. And because she’s working with our entire WholeHealth Chicago practitioner team, Dr. Kelley can with confidence refer patients as needed into such areas as chiropractic, Chinese medicine, homeopathy, bodywork therapies, Healing Touch, herbal medicine, and psychological counseling. Also, of course, because she’s an MD, she can refer you to any MD specialists required.

I’d like my patients to consider Dr. Kelley their own physician, right along with me. Over time she’ll familiarize herself with you and you’ll likely be seeing her if I’m unavailable for one reason or another. Since I’m booked fairly far in advance for new patients, the front desk staff will suggest Dr. Kelley if you’d like an earlier appointment.

She and I have agreed to discuss the management of medically complex new patients at the end of every workday. Dr. Kelley is quite familiar with the protocols from my first book, The Triple Whammy Cure, and is in the process of being Reader #3 of my forthcoming title, Preventing and Reversing Fibromyalgia. She’ll be well positioned to help with our ever-growing population of women with fibro.

I am genuinely delighted and feel blessed to have found such an associate!

1. Yosef says:

Hey David…great revised website…Paul said he’d been working on it for a while…Congrats! Dr Kelly sounds like the real deal…found this for you to enjoy…http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0521235/
    Yosef

2. Hamdulallah for Dr. Kelley. I am a grateful patient of Whole Health and I have thought what will I ever do if something were to happen to my Dr. Edelberg.

I wish you all the best.

3. Linda Silbert says:

Very nice introduction Dr. Edelberg, and I especially appreciate the clear description of functional medicine. I look forward to meeting Dr. Kelley

4. shari D says:

Welcome Dr Kelly! Dr E what a great team you’ve put together! Now I really need to make an appointment as I’ve back tracked somewhat and need some serious healing.
    Blesisng and peace always.

5. LouAnn Temkin says:

Thanks, Dr. E. I am relieved to hear that Dr. Kelley will be “taking the reins” once in while. I look forward to meeting her in the future. You and Whole Health Chicago have been an inspiration to me. Welcome, Dr. Kelley!

6. Ann Raven says:

Welcome, Dr. Kelley!

7. m s yeadon says:

Congradulations on your find, lucky us.
    M

8. Congratulations!! I will be more than happy to work with her. Thank you for staying ahead of the medical field by offering us this option. It is great to have a doctor who truly cares about their patience.

9. Welcome Dr. Kelly!! Sounds like you are going to be a wonderful asset to WholeHealth

10. Carole Harmel says:

Does Dr. Kelley accept Medicare?

11. Dr. R says:

Sorry, Dr. Kelley does not participate with Medicare.

12. Judy Kayser says:

Welcome Dr. Kelley and once again thank you Doctor E for your thoughtful and lengthy search for someone that sounds like a perfect fit for your practice.

13. Harriet Adelstein says:

Dear Dr. E -Best wishes with the addition of Dr. Kelley to your practice – it is so wonderful to know that there are doctors /other integrative practitioners who listen, care, and can work with the patient for the best quality of life possible.Thanks.
    Harriet Adelstein

14. Eileen Dudich says:

Great news, Dr. E. Thank you for taking all the time you needed to find a colleague like Dr. Kelly!

15. Marc Wigler says:

dear doc,

congrats on finding yourself a “replacement” – lol – and boy, is she A LOT better looking then you too…
    much to your dismay – i will plan to stay, as your patient, until the end…

HUGS,

wigler

16. Rosalyn Moore says:

Hi Dr. Glad to hear you finally found some help. Dr. Kelley sounds like quite an asset. I’m still dealing with this scleroderma.

*Yoga Therapy for Digestive Health
1-3 pm Saturday, April 1

In this workshop you will:

• Discover how biological and environmental factors shape the health of your gastrointestinal system.
  • Learn specific breathing techniques to reduce stress and feel more grounded in your body.
  • Practice yoga postures that soothe, detox, and ground the entire GI system.
  • Practice a mindful eating exercise (on gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free foods) to explore your relationship to food and cultivate fulfillment.

Registration
Insurance-eligible for WholeHealth Chicago patients.
$50 registration for self-pay or those new to WholeHealth Chicago.
Space is limited and registration is required. Register by calling (773) 296-6700.
Learn More>>

Questions? Please email Renee here.

*An Introduction to Healing Touch
Thursday, April 6, 9:30-11:00 am
Would you like to find relief from pain and anxiety without medicine?
Are you interested in addressing the root cause of your symptoms and health concerns?
Would you like to explore ways to navigate life transitions and find more focus, creativity,

Introduction to Healing Touch offers:
-an overview of energy medicine
-specific methods that can be administered to others and utilized for self care
-support for health and well being in body, mind, and spirit

$25 Registration Fee; sign up online or call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700

Katie Oberlin, HTCP/I
Healing Touch Certified Practitioner/Instructor
Learn More>>

*Awakened Body, Quiet Mind
An innovative workshop series for relieving mind/body stress and tapping into your true power and natural health.

Four Group Sessions with Meghan Roekle, PsyD.

Fridays from 6:00-8:00pm beginning April 13th.  Register online or call 773-296-6700
Learn More>>

*April Lyme Academy: Restorative Yoga for Lyme Disease
April 18th 5:30pm-7pm

Join WholeHealth Chicago’s Yoga Therapist Renee Zambo to learn breath work that combats brain fog as well as movements to reduce pain and tension. These gentle movements can be done seated, laying down, or even in your bed at home, and will leave you feeling lighter and more content.

Registration is open to patients of Dr. Kelleyand pre-registration is required. Please call WholeHealth Chicago at 773-296-6700 or see a Patient Services team member to sign up.
Learn More>>

A Medical Flip Flop for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Initially I thought I’d misread the conclusion of the re-analysis of the standard treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). “The claim that patients can recover as a result of (cognitive behavior therapy) and (graded exercise therapy) is not justified by the data, and is highly …Read More »

Yoga Therapy for Digestive Health

I’m no yoga expert, so this week’s Health Tip comes from Renee Zambo, WholeHealth Chicago’s yoga therapist. Dr E The belly is one of the most sensitive areas of our bodies. Situated at the center of our being, literally forming our core, it’s lined with …Read More »

March Sale: 20% Off SophytoPRO Skin Care Products

Topical Functional Skincare For Total Skin Transformation
SophytoPRO products are topical supplements that support good microbiome and healthy skin function.  More>>